The Inspirational 5:2 Thread

(63 Posts)
eatriskier Mon 11-Nov-13 13:08:41

ROLL UP ROLL UP… OVER HERE FOR YOUR INSPIRATIONAL WEIGHT LOSS AND HEALTH BENEFIT STORIES

It has been suggested by the wonderful betsybell that a thread be started with some inspiring stories for us all.

I feel that there should be some disclaimers - we are all different, we gain weight in different ways and will lose differently. Similarly with health issues. Some stories here mine to start with may be extreme.

Umm, that's about it I think...

hollolew2 Sun 13-Jul-14 21:33:23

You are all so inspirational! When I feel hungry on my FD tomorrow I'm gonna read the whole thread x

MyWonderfulMimi Thu 10-Jul-14 17:15:19

Well done Squirrelled. It's fantastic to feel in control again isn't it smile

SquirrelledAway Sun 06-Jul-14 15:25:32

We'll see! We have three weeks holiday in South Africa coming up, will have to remember to eat mindfully and not go too mad on the wine and beer.

That's a brilliant 6 months, Squirrel You've obviously worked very hard at this WOL.
flowers
Wonderful to be back to your early adult weight and to receive those compliments.
Sounds like you have your maintenance regime sorted, too.

Breadandwine Sun 06-Jul-14 00:12:35

Wow, Squirrelled! Those stats are impressive indeed!

I'm so happy for you. flowers

Are we going to see you on the maintenance thread anytime soon? smile

SquirrelledAway Fri 04-Jul-14 17:19:58

I have just hit my 6 month anniversary of 5:2, so thought I'd add my stats here too.

Decided at Christmas 2013, weighing 12 st 7, that I was miserable and felt bloated and uncomfortable, and needed to so something to shift the weight that had been creeping on over the years. Lost 3 lbs between Christmas and New Year, then found the 5:2 info on the web, and decided to get cracking on 5th January 2014.

Female: aged 48
Height: 5' 6"

Starting stats 5/1/14:
Weight: 12 st 4 lbs
BMI: 27.8
Bust: 38"
Waist: 33.5"
Hips: 42"
Thighs: 24"
Dress size: 14/16

Current stats 4/7/14
Weight: 10 st 0 lbs - loss of 2 st 4 lbs
BMI: 22.6
Bust: 35" - loss 3"
Waist: 28.5" - loss 5"
Hips: 37" - loss 5"
Thighs: 21" - loss 3"
Dress size: 10/12

I haven't been this shape and weight since I was 24 - half a lifetime ago!

I have worked really hard - FDs on Sundays, Mondays and Thursdays for the first 6 weeks, then FDs on Mondays and Thursdays. MapMyWalk tells me that I have walked 500 miles over the last six months (that's just the additional walking I have done on top of the usual school runs and mooching around) plus I have cycled and Shredded.

My eating habits have completely changed, for the better. I feel great, lots more energy, I can still splurge a little at weekends (and that includes beer and wine and pizza) because I know I can shift the extra pound or two that can creep on within a few days. I can wear all the lovely clothes that have been tucked away in the back of the wardrobe for years (that Laura Ashley silk ballgown that I could never part with - fits perfectly again).

DH says I look younger and even my teenager son has complimented me (anyone that has a 16 year old boy will know that's quite an achievement).

The 5:2 threads here have been invaluable - lots of ideas, tips, recipes and most of all encouragement. A big thank you to everyone.

KeepCalmAndLOLKittens Sun 29-Jun-14 22:14:54

Bumping this as I love to read them smile

MazzleDazzle Fri 02-May-14 21:13:31

LOL at 'We'll go tomorrow!' grin.

Well done Mimi. You must be so proud of yourself! Well done.

Thank you for sharing your success. I often pop on here if I'm struggling to stay on track.

MyWonderfulMimi Thu 01-May-14 19:15:06

Thanks BigChoc. Yes, 5:2 is definitely my WOL from now on. I can't imagine not continuing to fast. It just makes so much sense to me.

That's a lovely report, MyWonderfulMimi
flowers
It's so nice to hear from another women just a few years older.
You're now a healthy weight and a much healthier person.
So good that your DH is supportive. Sounds like 5:2 is now your WOL.

MyWonderfulMimi Wed 30-Apr-14 15:38:46

Here’s my story.

Female – age 62
Height 5ft 3ins
Starting weight: 12st 9lb
Current weight: 9st 6lb

My reasons for wanting to lose weight: I was obviously too heavy, but my biggest reason is that I have lots of family members with heart problems which I desperately want to avoid.

I started with WW in August 2009 and did well at first, but when they changed the system to Pro Points I really struggled and stopped losing weight under the new system. I lost 1.5st with WW.

I swapped to 5:2 in January 2013, and haven’t looked back since. I’ve not only lost more weight than with WW (and in a shorter time), but I feel healthier, have more energy and definitely feel younger too! I often find myself looking in the mirror and thinking how good I look now - not bad for 62! (How vain is that?!)

Since starting 5:2 I’ve generally found it easy to have 2 days a week on 500 calories and rarely feel hungry. I rarely eat breakfast these days and on fast days often don’t bother with lunch either, so that I can have a good meal in the evening. I do try to be good during the week and don’t worry about what I eat at weekends, but I always use MFP to track EVERYTHING I’ve had – including wine. Sometimes I can’t believe the amount I’ve eaten during the course of a day, but I always track. It sort of brings home to me how stupid I can be with food sometimes. I’ve not always been good and put some weight back on, but I know that if I get back on the wagon the weight will come off fairly quickly.

I struggled after Christmas this year. I just didn’t seem to be able to do a fast day. My DH then retired and it was even harder to fast as he loves to go out for lunch, or tea and cake. We’ve sorted out a system now and thankfully he supports me in this WOL and understands when I say “No, today is a fast day–we’ll go tomorrow”.

Eatriskier Thu 10-Apr-14 17:52:28

I think I am bigchoc

And I am in no way replying very lately just as a means to bump this thread. Not at all wink

Wow, Eat, you look half the woman you were. Amazing transformation !

MazzleDazzle Thu 06-Mar-14 21:14:16

thanks reading this thread (again!) has stopped me over eating tonight, especially the pics.

Eatriskier Wed 05-Mar-14 16:59:48

Bumpety bumping

A quick update with me: I'm now at 8st 13lb, a whole 6 stone away from where I started. I am struggling to continue to fast twice a week and not lose weight, so am going to bite the bullet and throw some 6:1 weeks in and hope the positive effect still happens on my pernicious anaemia.

Breadandwine Sat 01-Mar-14 11:42:53

Great stuff, Jennifer - you cover some really important points in your post! We're at opposite ends of the spectrum, in a way. You're just beginning, and I've just completed two years on this WOL.

I began 5:2ing exactly 2 years ago, dropping a day to 6:1 in October 2012 and maintaining - and I have to say, I've never felt so good, or so much in control - of my weight, and of my life!

This is not all down to IF, since I began a regime of weight-bearing exercises three months ago, which are obviously benefitting me - but I felt pretty damned good before I started those!!

I've put my story on my blog (still a work in progress):

nobreadisanisland.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/today-im-celebrating-two-years-of.html

jenniferlawrence Fri 28-Feb-14 10:31:48

My journey so far isn't all that inspiring as I've only been doing it for 6 weeks but I thought it might be helpful for anyone who has a history of eating disorders, a tendency to binge or a starting BMI within the healthy range. These are all reasons that I wasn't sure 5:2 would work for me but after 6 weeks I love it and have no plans to stop.

I used to comfort eat as a child which lead to being a bit chubby and feeling ashamed and self conscious. This led to strict dieting as a teenager which led to 10 years starving, binging and purging. I recovered from bulimia 10 years ago but in order to do so I had to stop trying to lose weight, stop weighing myself and just eat what I wanted. I now have a much healthier relationship with food and a healthy body image. However, when I eat what I want without being careful my BMI is around 23-24 which, as someone with a small frame, is not ideal. After having a baby I decided to try Slimming World to see if I could get back to a comfortable weight. Although I think SW is a great healthy eating plan, trying to stick to a strict diet every day set me up for failure and I ended up getting stuck back in a cycle of dieting, failing and binging. Over 4 months of this I'd lost 8 pounds but found it really hard work and felt miserable about the lack of control I felt about food and my eating habits.

At the start of January this year I tried to get back to following SW and exercising but I was really fed up of planning my life around low syn foods so couldn't get back in to it. That's when I thought I should try the 5:2 diet. When I first heard about it I thought it sounded faddy and unhealthy and that starving myself 2 days a week would lead to binging on NFDs. However, this turned out to not be the case at all. I am good at following a strict diet 2 or 3 days a week, I just can't do it every day and if I am 'allowed' to eat what I want some days a week then I shouldn't get the feelings of failure and the urge to overeat after having a bit of chocolate or eating out.

I set myself a target of sticking to 2 sub 500 calorie days a week for 6 weeks and not weighing myself during this time. I also decided not to count at all on NFDs and just eat my normal diet. My only aim for NFDs was not binge.

I have now finished the 6 week trial and I was pleased to find today that I have lost 4 pounds. Now I know that doesn't sound like a lot but bear in mind that I only want to lose up to 11 pounds in total and I have been drinking wine, eating out, eating chocolate and baking with the kids at weekends. Most importantly I have felt in control and have had no feelings of guilt for eating what I want on NFDs. I am thrilled that I have found a WOE that fits in with my lifestyle and enables me to gradually lose weight. For the first 4 weeks I did feel ravenous on NFDs and did eat more than normal but that has really settled down now so I think I will be able to be a bit more sensibly on NFDs from now on.

Other things that I like about the 5:2 WOE:

1 - No special foods to buy. On fast days I can eat a ready meal if I'm feeling lazy or some protein and veg and on NFDs I can eat whatever meals the rest of the family want. Therefore:
2 - Food bills are reduced.
2 - Fast days are a relief after a weekend of seeing friends and family and eating out. It feels like 2 little detoxes a week.
3 - Fast days are empowering. I can go without quite easily.
4 - I'm sleeping much better than before I started. I have no idea why.
5 - I do my fast days on work days so I don't have to prepare any food for work on those days or spend money in the canteen.
6 - I can follow this WOE without anyone noticing. For example, I don't want the kids to hear about dieting and restricting calories and it's easy to follow this WOE discreetly.
7 - I feel really positive generally since finding this WOE.

Sorry that was epic. I'm just really thrilled with finding this WOE and plan on carrying on long term.

BsshBossh Sun 16-Feb-14 16:16:30

Just to update my post up-thread: I've reached (actually gone past) goal and am now 122 lbs (BMI 20). So that's me done smile 6:1 to maintain, now; 5:2 as and when needed. What a journey!

Tiredemma Sun 16-Feb-14 10:12:12

amazing inspirations

Cant wait for the day I can post mine on here

Thanks for all your lovely comments ,doris megrim and bcf

I am actually 50 now * Big Choc*.

Well done, HeadInTheClouds You look great, sophisticated and swish leading up to your 50th. Happy 5:2 anniversary !
flowers
Slow & steady weight loss is healthy, sustainable and avoids loose skin problems.

DorisAllTheDay Sun 02-Feb-14 14:45:51

Wow, just read through this thread. Fantastic stories, folks. Hello headintheclouds from another 49-er hoping not to be fat at fifty.

Megrim Sun 02-Feb-14 11:15:24

Wow*headintheclouds*, you're looking fab!

it's my 1st 5:2 Anniversary so thought I'd add my annual report !
Started 5:2 Jan 29 th 2013 ,
5 ft 3 , age 49 weighing in at 11 st 5 lbs , had been 11 st 9 at my heaviest and being a shortie it didn't look good ! I DID NOT want to be fat at 50 ..hell I didn't actually want to be 50 ..
My stats were 42 chest
38 waist
40 hips. dress size 16 ,nudging 18.

I ve had my WI today , I'm now 9st 12 lbs
Chest 38
Waist 31
hips 38. Dress size 12/14.

I'm NOT fat at fifty which was my main motivator! I've done 5:2 all along and 6:1 at Christmas time (but put a couple of pounds on over the holidays.) and just eat my 500 cals in the evening ,drinking lots of tea / coffee during my fast.
I've not had a dramatic weight loss like some and it's been very slow, but I'm 21 lbs lighter and feel great ,am less bothered about the weight loss being slow because it'll come off when it's ready. I was very happy in my size 12 Christmas party dress which is on my profile page.
I'd like to lose a little more .( goal is 9st 7lbs)
And I'd like to end by thanking everyone who inspired and supported me especially in the early days when all I did was moan about the slow weight loss TIP Bsshh * B&W et al...

Breadandwine Sat 18-Jan-14 14:22:49

Not at all, FF! The 52fastdiet forum and these threads should be read in conjunction with each other, IMO!

Thanks for posting this, she truly is an inspiration and certainly belongs here! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now