Alternate day fasting

(10 Posts)
eggyweggies Mon 28-Oct-13 13:39:11

As in, fasting every other day.

Would this take 5:2ing into the realms of crash dieting and would I put loads of weight back on if I stopped?

Has anyone tried it?

I'm not losing weight fast enough!

BellaVita Mon 28-Oct-13 13:42:45

Maybe try 4:3 first?

eggyweggies Mon 28-Oct-13 14:04:17

Have you tried that, Bellavita? Is it safe/healthy etc?

BetsyBell Mon 28-Oct-13 14:10:22

The main issue with ADF is that it's unsustainable in the long run so is more like dieting - ie, when you stop you'll probably put weight back on. The beauty of 5:2 is that, although slow, if you like it you can carry on doing it for forever and the weight doesn't come on.

I tried 4:3 when I wanted to speed up some weight loss but I just found I ended up eating more on non fast days so seemed a bit counter-productive, and unsustainable.

Currently in my 11th month of 5:2, at maintenance weight and no plans to stop doing it.

BetsyBell Mon 28-Oct-13 14:12:41

weight doesn't tend to go back on that should say!

BellaVita Mon 28-Oct-13 15:07:06

eggy, yes I have.

Only for a couple of weeks though after our summer hols and I also did it last week when I didn't manage to get to the gym.

I wouldn't do it every week long term.

I do love 5:2, it isn't like a "diet" whatsoever.

Talkinpeace Mon 28-Oct-13 16:21:57

not an option for me as I never fast on a SAturday or Sunday.

BsshBossh Mon 28-Oct-13 18:19:34

No harm in doing ADF and Dr Varady's evidence-based research into the efficacy of fasting is based on it; but I doubt it's sustainable - too much like deprivation which will see me falling off the wagon in no time.

eggyweggies Mon 28-Oct-13 18:42:59

I'll give 4:3 a go, I think. I would try alternate fasting but worried I'll just put it all back on again when I up my calories

nailslikeknives Thu 14-Nov-13 21:24:38

4:3 works well for me. I'm flexible as if I can't manage that - going for a night out or summat - I'll do 5:2. I've lost 11lbs in the last 8 weeks, eating moderately but not strictly on non fast days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now