Really struggling with fasts at the moment

(8 Posts)
plecofjustice Mon 21-Oct-13 12:41:59

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can offer any help and support. I've been 5:2'ing for just over a year now, and have lost 1.5 stones. I got married about 6 weeks ago, and in the run-up to the wedding, got a bit carried away with fasting/restricting and was doing 4:3 with 1200 cals maximum on the other days. After the wedding, I had 2 weeks completely without fasting then another 2 weeks of 6:1 as I was taking exams.

I'm now trying to get back on the 5:2 wagon, and I'm really struggling with hunger. This is hunger I've not known in previous fasts - feeling faint, very emotional, exhausted, dizzy, etc. I'm also really suffering with constipation and my IBS has flared up quite a bit. I've been also really craving sweet foods and junk - so different to before my 5:2 break, when I was eating mostly vegan and a lot of raw.

Not sure what's going on - I've had an extremely stressful few weeks between the wedding, house move, final exams and job change, but I'm on top of that now.

Any tips for getting the discipline back? I was really enjoying more raw/vegan, so I don't know why suddenly all I want is meat and sugar!

THanks smile

BsshBossh Mon 21-Oct-13 17:55:24

Can you ease back into 5:2 - eating more frequently if you need to and allowing yourself more than 500 cals to begin with, or 4 mini fasts a week?

fuzzywuzzy Mon 21-Oct-13 18:00:37

Could you be pregnant? I couldn't bear to be even a bit hungry when I was in the early weeks of pregnancy.

plecofjustice Tue 22-Oct-13 09:31:37

God I hope not fuzzy! No, I'm pretty sure I'm not.

I had a good fast yesterday in the end, so i went back and looked over my food diaries for the last few weeks, and I've really not been eating a lot and drinking too much.

Stuck to a vegan fast yesterday and felt great, and even managed to get the dehydrator fired up overnight, so it's all good. Feeling a lot more positive today. Second fast of the week tomorrow, so we'll see, but hopefully I'm starting to get back on track.And as Bssh says, now I've got a good one done this week, I can always go slightly over tomorrow if I still feel really rough.

Lilacroses Sat 26-Oct-13 09:14:46

Well done for getting back on it. I eat vegan most days now and it's really helped me to get more into fruit/veg and to get rid of the crap in my diet. I:m doing 5 : 2 and some days are definitely harder than others.

Thermalogica Mon 18-Nov-13 21:10:46

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

sounds like your body's response to being starved? (fasting and only 1200 calls on "non fast" days = starvation)

It was pretty extreme to do 1200 cal on NFD. I thought The Fast diet was about normal eating on non fast days. Is that when you lost the most weight? Glad you are getting bac on track. Maybe a 6:1 would suit now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now