The 5:2 thread number 27 - Season of fasts and mellow rumblingness (with apologies to Keats)

(981 Posts)
BetsyBell Thu 19-Sep-13 16:58:47

The continuing thread for those of us following either the 5:2 diet or the alternate-day fasting diet.

The 5:2 diet was featured on Horizon in August 2012, and essentially requires you to fast for 2 non-consecutive days per week. The other 5 days, you can eat what you like, or approximately your TDEE (see explanation below). Alternate-day fasting is just how it sounds; you fast every other day. By "fasting", we mean that we keep our calorie consumption very low, around 500 calories on average for a woman, 600 for a man, on those days.

You'll find on these threads we use a number of acronyms. If you're new to the threads, or Mumsnet in general, they might not make much sense.

WOE/WOL = Way Of Eating/Way Of Life. We use this term instead of "diet" as many of us see this as something to do in the long term.

MFP = My Fitness Pal, a website many use for keeping track of the number of calories they're eating.

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure, quantifies the number of calories you burn in a day. This measure is best estimated by scaling your Basal Metabolic Rate to your level of activity. TDEE is critical in tailoring your nutrition plan to desired fitness goals. Here is a link to a calculator to help you figure out how many calories you should be eating in a day.

ADF = Alternate-day Fasting, as it says on the tin, fasting every other day rather than 5:2.

NFD = Non fast day

NSV = Non scale victory

Michael Mosley has a website to accompany his book on the subject. Please go check them out, as he's the whole reason most of us are here!

I know a number of people lurk on this thread, as this is currently quite popular. Please just jump in and post if you're new- you'll find a lot of support here.

Here is a list of links to get you started with this way of eating. Please let us know if you find a new article or some other information online:

All our previous threads can be found by browsing through our very own fasting section of the site.

Another thread which breadandwine has started is a good resource for some of the tips and links that get lost in these big threads. In addition to sharing links, we try to condense some of our top tips for fasting there. Keep in mind, we all do this differently, so these are just tips, not rules. This might be a good place to catch up with us if you're feeling a bit lost!

frenchfancy has a recipe thread over here, please post any low-calorie recipes there so they don't get lost in these bigger threads!

If you've been at this a while and are moving on to maintaining your goal weight, there is a thread here to discuss that.

Here is the link to the BBC article regarding Michael Mosley's findings, which was featured on Horizon.

There's a link to the aforementioned Horizon programme here.

A blog post here gives some of the scientific explanation for why this way of eating helps you to not only lose weight, but improve your all-around health.

A Telegraph article which comments on the diet and gives a brief overview by Dr Mosley himself, very informative if you're just starting. (I highly recommend this for an overview)

A study discussed here gives commentary specifically addressing the effect of this diet on obese people (both men and women), with regard to both health and weight loss. ("After 8 weeks of treatment, participants had an average 12.5 lbs reduction in body weight and a 4 cm decrease in waist circumference. Total fat mass declined by about 12 lbs while lean body mass remained relatively constant.) it also mentions "Plasma adiponectin, a protein hormone that is elevated in obesity and associated with heart disease, dropped by 30%. As did LDL cholesterol (25%) and triglycerides (32%).")

Something to consider if you are currently your ideal BMI: this appears to suggest the benefits for women at a lower BMI might not be seeing the same health benefits that are found on men at their ideal BMI.

A BIG THANK YOU to all who have been contributing. Most of us are learning this way of eating as we go along. All of the links above have been posted by others in our previous threads, and they've been very helpful.

A HUGE THANK YOU to Greeneggsandnicht for putting together all this info and resources into one concise OP text, much appreciated by so many 5:2ers!

Come join us, and tell us about your experiences with this diet!

JB30 Sat 05-Oct-13 17:22:10

Defo gets easier Marissab, have another 100 if you need it, 200 even! Maybe look back at what you had and see if there was anything in there that made you hungrier or bad value cals (e.g bread) I reckon my winning menu is soup for lunch and then salmon with steamed veg, if I've anything left an orange - don't know why but craving them last while. I'd found myself avoiding fruit on fd's cause it made me hungry but at the end of day doesn't seem to bother me.
Very very busy day, 4 mile jog/walk shopping trip, Davina cardio session, hoovering, bed changing, child bathing, bathroom cleaning - then birthday party where I took my friends baby for an hour wander round the shops as he was going spare at it! I reckon it was another mile between the back/forth. Home now, did the ironing, did some dinner prep...oh my, I'm whacked! Doing a 16:8 as well which is going great. My loss yesterday really encouraged me. Bought a pair of m&s jeggings in a 12 this morning as my size 14's are too loose grin Now this pair fit me where they hit me but I'm confident they'll be perfect in another week or 2. Tired but happy. Hood everyone else is having a great Saturday!

Twinmama32 Sat 05-Oct-13 23:55:10

Hi all!
Late post as its been a busy few days... Went to Westfield to buy jeans and I reckon I tried on every pair there as I'd firstly try on my original size (16) not believing I'd need smaller, and then end up in a 12! Which then meant there'd be none of that size left, so start again at the next shop hmm
Anyway I ended up trying on a pair of w30 skinny jeans from gap,they fit, looked fab, and i went to buy them. as I was queuing I remembered you're meant to buy jeans a size smaller than you are to accommodate any give in the jean, so I thought why not and traipsed back to changing rooms with a w28. Guess what they only bl88dy fit!!
Happy days indeed.
This morning I woke a Ib lighter plus I got my 3rd period in 30 days, which cld explain my stall the last 3 weeks. 10s I'm coming to get you!

Sorry for epic post about me me me but I had to share grin

Well done precious tired on your losses and JB and twin on your losses and new clothes smile

twin you might live near me or were you at the other Westfield in the east? DP and I spent last Sat at Westfield, he has lost nearly 3st but kept buying 17.5 slim fit shirts. We went in TM Lewin and came out with a bag of 16" fully fitted shirts!

No fasting for me this week, I have no appetite to speak of so intake is naturally low. Blood test on Weds might shed some light on what is going on.

MissS I remember your early posts, you have come a long way since then and are now inspiring others flowers

BsshBossh Sun 06-Oct-13 08:21:51

Twinmama that's fantastic. I didn't know about buying jeans a size smaller. I've wasted a lot of £££s buying jeans this past 1.5 years of losing weight. I should have just lived in leggings until I got down to goal weight. The charity shops have gained at least. I now need loads of new winter woollens but will wait until I'm at my absolute bottom weight. In the meantime, I'm looking very baggy all over!

JB30 Sun 06-Oct-13 08:24:42

Twinmama32 that is amazing. I find it hard to get my head in line with my smaller size, but practically 3 sizes down? That's some mind shift. I'd had slept in the jeans, worn inside out so everyone could see the 28grin
All this talk of Westfield is making me twitchy, was there once when in London for work but only had 30 mins to look around. I didn't know there was 2? Post I don't remember seeing if your dh is doing 5:2 as well but 3 stone is mighty impressive, really translates when a neck shrinks by 1.5 inches! Funny places I'm losing weight, where my arm joins my torso, used to have little pouch of fat that would peak out un-attractively in vest tops. Gone now wink

JB one in Shepherds Bush and one in Stratford. DP gave up beer, took up running and cut his calories to around 1400. He's still running but can now ease off on the others!

Emmabryant123 Sun 06-Oct-13 09:15:09

NFD here today.

So far had some coffee, glass of cranberry juice and oats so simple porridge and a banana with it.
Roast beef for dinner. Not fussed over puddings anymore, I just don't sit their and think after a meal 'what's for dessert' anymore.
Popping to shops in a minute.
Tomorrows a fast day -
Going to buy a big tub of soup to take to work for lunch at work (I can't do 24 hours fasts) and find something for tea tomorrow to.

eatriskier Sun 06-Oct-13 10:11:04

Nice NSV twin - I didn't know that about jeans either.

At the end of the last thread the lovely tip suggested someone look at my photos to see the effects this diet could have flowers. What I hadn't realised then was all my pics were gone (probably with my name change). Thanks to a screw up with my computer I've lost the original files too. Have been meaning to do a new one now I'm in the normal BMI range, so have uploaded that if anyone wants to have a look and aren't bored by my constant photo updates

And on that topic, we are struggling to find where we hid cookie monster. One day I will find him and update the photo so both mes are wearing that silly hat!

eatriskier Sun 06-Oct-13 10:12:11

ahem woe. not diet. woe blush

wrigglebum Sun 06-Oct-13 10:21:59

Looking amazing eatriskier, a completely different person.

I have finished 30 day shred- yippeeeee!!!! I did it slowly, so more like 60 days but good results still. I'm afraid I don't have any before pics but I've popped an after pic on my profile and made it public. I'm at target weight too so now I'm just focussing on maintaining and toning the last bits of wobble. Next step is attempting six week six pack.

Going to pop a croissant in the oven now for a late breakfast, with plenty of jam. Love this woe grin.

eatriskier Sun 06-Oct-13 10:23:53

Wow wriggle - no wonder you've been confident enough to wear a bikini. If I looked anywhere near that good without coverage I would too

I love October. I've just put a veg order in that is all gorgeous squashes and pumpkins. I plan on stuffing myself with them and little else all month.

I'm starting couch to 5k this week. Oddly excited.

Awesome twin. I'm planning on coping with belts until I really can't wear my current clothes any more...then a mega shopping trip.

Actually, my goal is to be at target by my 30th birthday in March. I have a stone and a half to go, it's totally achievable. grin

Looking good wriggle and eat!

wrigglebum Sun 06-Oct-13 10:49:10

Thank you eatriskier blush.

I think the dirty mirror has given a bit of a soft focus effect to the picture so you can't see my stretch marks. When I lean over my excess skin does hang down rather unattractively but I'm hoping that will lessen over time. Still, I'm definitely a lot more confident and don't have to constantly hold my stomach in if I don't want people to think I'm pregnant.

wrigglebum Sun 06-Oct-13 10:50:41

Thank you too pat smile.

2 lovely NSVs yesterday. I found a dress in a little boutique marked down from £147 to £20. I asked the assistant if there was anything wrong with it - zip etc all working, She said yes, it's just summer stock and a very small size. I tried it on. It fitted perfectly, and the assistant was very admiring of my trim shape.

And a 40th birthday party at the next door neightbours last night - I put on my spray-on red leather skinnies that I bought in Vegas, and there was a marked absence of muffin-top.

NotAsTired Sun 06-Oct-13 12:27:05

Wow, eatriskier and wrigglebum. You both look amazing. Very inspiring. smile

NotAsTired Sun 06-Oct-13 12:28:32

Great nsvs melanie and twin

NotAsTired Sun 06-Oct-13 12:30:34

Thanks, postmanpatscat.

MissStrawberry Sun 06-Oct-13 13:11:53

Wow at 28 jeans. Brilliant! flowers

Thank you postmanpatscat.

I am so dozy I have been telling people I have lost 8 then 13 lbs a few weeks later when actually I should be celebrating losing 1 stone 12 lbs since July 2012!

FD today kind of as there is a bowl of salad needing using up so I have said I can have that if I can't last until dinner which is chicken liver risotto. Never made it before but looking forward to it. Need to try and calorie count it to see if I can have anything else.

I think if I just eat as little as possible between now and Wed (Thurs/Fri/sat will need to main line choc quite possibly) it will all balance out.

Sounds great, melanie! Did you get a dress for your posh do yet, or have I missed that and you've been already? I'm tempted by a close-fitting BNWT satin number on eBay, a one shoulder affair in my favourite colour. It's an absolute bargain but when will I wear it?! Our work Xmas do is in a pub so it's perhaps a bit OTT for that.

Twinmama32 Sun 06-Oct-13 15:39:57

postmanpatscat I went to the Stratford city Westfield as its not too far from home for me.
The jean thing I ve read about a few times and also I'm sure either gok wan or trinny et al have said it before, makes sense to me as my jeans always losen over time. That said, before now, I'd have struggled to have gone down a size!

Good luck to fasters today and next week. I'm having a week off as I'm off to centre parcs tomorrow, so see you all a week Monday!

BsshBossh Sun 06-Oct-13 16:21:58

Has anyone seen this double scan of two women, one 250lbs, the other 120lbs. Look at the visceral fat, the joints, the enlarged liver and heart... I used to be over 200 lbs and felt fine. I had no idea! I will never let my weight creep up like that again.

I'm still looking for a black ballerina-length evening skirt, that I can ring the changes with different tops.

But I found this lovely tartan dress (it's for a Scottish dancing ball) in Monsoon which ticked all the boxes. And Saturday's bargain would work for dancing too - black straps, blue floral pattern, fitted waist and full flippy skirt. With matching wrap.

PoshPaula Sun 06-Oct-13 18:05:22

I'm having a FD tomorrow, I haven't actually lost any real weight yet despite trying hard on this WOE for the past couple of weeks. Wish me luck everyone that I see a difference soon! I need to, for motivation....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now