The 5:2 thread number 27 - Season of fasts and mellow rumblingness (with apologies to Keats)

(981 Posts)
BetsyBell Thu 19-Sep-13 16:58:47

The continuing thread for those of us following either the 5:2 diet or the alternate-day fasting diet.

The 5:2 diet was featured on Horizon in August 2012, and essentially requires you to fast for 2 non-consecutive days per week. The other 5 days, you can eat what you like, or approximately your TDEE (see explanation below). Alternate-day fasting is just how it sounds; you fast every other day. By "fasting", we mean that we keep our calorie consumption very low, around 500 calories on average for a woman, 600 for a man, on those days.

You'll find on these threads we use a number of acronyms. If you're new to the threads, or Mumsnet in general, they might not make much sense.

WOE/WOL = Way Of Eating/Way Of Life. We use this term instead of "diet" as many of us see this as something to do in the long term.

MFP = My Fitness Pal, a website many use for keeping track of the number of calories they're eating.

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure, quantifies the number of calories you burn in a day. This measure is best estimated by scaling your Basal Metabolic Rate to your level of activity. TDEE is critical in tailoring your nutrition plan to desired fitness goals. Here is a link to a calculator to help you figure out how many calories you should be eating in a day.

ADF = Alternate-day Fasting, as it says on the tin, fasting every other day rather than 5:2.

NFD = Non fast day

NSV = Non scale victory

Michael Mosley has a website to accompany his book on the subject. Please go check them out, as he's the whole reason most of us are here!

I know a number of people lurk on this thread, as this is currently quite popular. Please just jump in and post if you're new- you'll find a lot of support here.

Here is a list of links to get you started with this way of eating. Please let us know if you find a new article or some other information online:

All our previous threads can be found by browsing through our very own fasting section of the site.

Another thread which breadandwine has started is a good resource for some of the tips and links that get lost in these big threads. In addition to sharing links, we try to condense some of our top tips for fasting there. Keep in mind, we all do this differently, so these are just tips, not rules. This might be a good place to catch up with us if you're feeling a bit lost!

frenchfancy has a recipe thread over here, please post any low-calorie recipes there so they don't get lost in these bigger threads!

If you've been at this a while and are moving on to maintaining your goal weight, there is a thread here to discuss that.

Here is the link to the BBC article regarding Michael Mosley's findings, which was featured on Horizon.

There's a link to the aforementioned Horizon programme here.

A blog post here gives some of the scientific explanation for why this way of eating helps you to not only lose weight, but improve your all-around health.

A Telegraph article which comments on the diet and gives a brief overview by Dr Mosley himself, very informative if you're just starting. (I highly recommend this for an overview)

A study discussed here gives commentary specifically addressing the effect of this diet on obese people (both men and women), with regard to both health and weight loss. ("After 8 weeks of treatment, participants had an average 12.5 lbs reduction in body weight and a 4 cm decrease in waist circumference. Total fat mass declined by about 12 lbs while lean body mass remained relatively constant.) it also mentions "Plasma adiponectin, a protein hormone that is elevated in obesity and associated with heart disease, dropped by 30%. As did LDL cholesterol (25%) and triglycerides (32%).")

Something to consider if you are currently your ideal BMI: this appears to suggest the benefits for women at a lower BMI might not be seeing the same health benefits that are found on men at their ideal BMI.

A BIG THANK YOU to all who have been contributing. Most of us are learning this way of eating as we go along. All of the links above have been posted by others in our previous threads, and they've been very helpful.

A HUGE THANK YOU to Greeneggsandnicht for putting together all this info and resources into one concise OP text, much appreciated by so many 5:2ers!

Come join us, and tell us about your experiences with this diet!

SchrodingersFanny Fri 20-Sep-13 09:40:47

You could do weights at home. A small set of free weights me and some basic moves. My yogalates DVD is good for toning and body shape.

Asheth Fri 20-Sep-13 10:07:33

Completed another fast day yesterday. Probably ate a few more than the 500 calories than I planed, but still quite a but under 600. And last nights weigh in was also inspiring - 10 st 4 lbs. That's 1.8 lbs lost this week grin Although given that It's my Dads birthday this weekend and we're celebrating at an all-you-can-eat buffet that weight may be back on again by Monday!

invinoveritas51 Fri 20-Sep-13 10:14:07

Well .... having had weeks of what seems like non-stop visitors, this is the first weekend when we will be "home alone" - hurrah! smile. The bad news is that the scales are showing the downside of such a sociable few weeks with a pretty shocking increase sad but my clothes are no tighter confused. However, the fantastic news for me is that my divorce has finally come through after three years so after a celebratory dinner this weekend (and the odd sparkling wine) I am determined to get back on track and lose the remainder of my excess weight (not an inconsiderable amount in all honesty) so that I will be a vision of slenderness at my next wedding (that sounds bad!) sometime next year. So, despite being sad at the weight gain I am so smile grin wink at my new status that I feel I could take on the world and win!!

Hope you all have a fantastic weekend!

HellesBellesThinksSometimes Fri 20-Sep-13 10:23:34

flowers InVinoVeritas51

Claricemis Fri 20-Sep-13 10:28:51

I've been discouraged for a while since every slip I do means starting almost over, weight wise. But I've been sticking to 4:3 most weeks, with the occasional 5:2. I try to not overeat on eat-days, but I crave sugar so badly these days. Must be a period thing.

Fast day today for me, I've had a small bowl of porridge for 130 calories, and am now having coffee and diet coke. My first goal is to get below 70 kilos.

Sophiste Fri 20-Sep-13 10:42:59

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.

I'm another one on FD today. Could be an easy one as I am in so much discomfort (think I may have sprained a rib) that I can't even think about food. Ouch!

BetsyBell Fri 20-Sep-13 11:10:08

Claricemis I think 4:3 makes it harder and doesn't seem to equal more weight loss over all. In my personal experience 4:3 sort of gave me 'permission' to over eat on nfds whereas 5:2 helps to retrain our brains and bodies to sensible eating most of the time.

Good luck with your fast day.

thinkcan Fri 20-Sep-13 11:49:25

Bssh Glad to be able to post something you find useful after all the wonderful tips and motivation you have been giving us. I boiled a cup of dhall in water before heading to the gym this morning. Came back a few hours later and the dhall was all ready for eating. I love slow cooker cooking!

HellesBellesThinksSometimes Fri 20-Sep-13 12:11:42

Ooh! thinkcan what's your recipe please - daal's on my list to make this weekend but I haven't made it before.

Dotty342kids Fri 20-Sep-13 12:16:35

Nice one all, some great losses and I love all the updates from oldies and newbies!
And there are other 5:2 threads? Surely not shock when this is full of such lovely, inspirational folk!!

Just had a bagel and out for coffee / cake with a friend later. Got to love Friday NFDs! grin

somewherebecomingrain Fri 20-Sep-13 12:30:49

Marking my place.

Back up to 11.7 today.

Am fasting - but next week will do Thursday as Friday is kinda the start of the weekend.

Have had a few desperate moments but milky coffee is keeping me going.

Congrats fd, bssh and mrs f on your lowest weights.

One thing that makes this possible at all is having this thread - really helps with the motivation .

Talkinpeace Fri 20-Sep-13 12:53:00

6:1 or 5:2 or 4:3
Personally I've done 5:2 the whole time (over a year now and the whole of 2013 maintaining) because it means I do not eat on Monday and Wednesday or Thursday but do not need to fast at weekends or on consecutive days.
I'm also fasting for the medical reasons so do not want to drop to 6:1 - I just relax the calories on the supper after the fast

For those with a lot to lose, I would suggest 5:2 with eating within the TDEE of your ideal weight three days a week ... as then when you get there the meals will be second nature grin

MissStrawberry Fri 20-Sep-13 12:55:42

flowers Bssh.

Alibabaa - your breakfast sounds delicious.

MrsF - that is a great milestone, isn't it. I am hoping tomorrow I will be back to where I was when my baby was 2 months old (ignoring the time wasted being over a stone heavierhmm.)

Brilliant frenchfancy. Keeping it off is brilliant.

Just went to the shop to buy stuff for 2 recipes I want to make so that I kept busy. Doing another FD today. Mainly because I was getting cross with them and dreading them and I wanted to feel I could do it and it would be fine. Have had a couple of spoonfuls of left over baked beans and 1 olive when cleaning out the fridge (3 hours of cleaning the kitchen today, mopping the floor and cleaning the windows) so not feeling guilty about a few beans grin. Dinner will be baked fish, a couple of new potatoes and salad leaves.

Bssh , well done with the amazing weight loss ! WI today and I've PUT ON another pound ! Hells teeth I'm annoyed.
Apart from last nights blip with the leak / central heating problem can't explain it! Although TOM looming so maybe it's that. A very good electrician friend came out and replaced our heating clock last night so we now have a cosy house again! And the soaked floor has dried out with minimal damage . Have a great weekend all

My pesky phone wiped 3 posts yesterday. Anyway, fd here for me. Cantaloupe for breakfast, then I'm getting my hair cut. Miso for lunch and lovely omelettes for tea.There was lots of chat about what to feed dcs on fds the other day. I'm hoping omelette will be just the thing!

And well done losers. You're very inspiring.

eatriskier Fri 20-Sep-13 13:35:46

Some great milestones/losses/etc on here today. Sorry to those who haven't seen them though.

I'm 10st7lb this am which makes me my lowest weight (for a second time) since I was 19. This is my review weight as last time I weighed this I looked awful, but it was the divorce and wine diet which I don't recommend. Well, strangely losing weight in a good way means I don't look horrendous now. So I'm going to continue to try to get down to 9st7lb which is a BMI of 22 for me.

Having the total opposite problem than a lot of people though, and that is that weight is still dropping off me. I want to lose that last stone don't get me wrong, but I'm happy for it to take its time (I can't afford more clothes). So I've put my stats hat on and combined it with some advice from tip, and have decided to set my calorie goal as goal weight TDEE at lightly active instead of current weight sedentary (because I am not sedentary anymore and am amassing a load of exercise calories I'm doing nought with). I'm also not going to worry if I go over on a couple of days. I'm calling this my transition period.

Talkinpeace Fri 20-Sep-13 13:42:48

eatriskier
Impressed and yes, you can start thinking about maintaining now because you are getting fit enough to look good as you get slimmer but do not want to be like the scrawny bint (sorry but she was) I saw in M&S yesterday. Toned and lean is the way to go.

eatriskier I am also at 10st7 and aiming for 9st7!

eatriskier I am also at 10st7 and aiming for 9st7. Or at least 10 on a fat day not a thin one! I had baby #4 8m ago, and want to get to a weight I'm happy with for the next 30 years.

eatriskier I am also at 10st7 and aiming for 9st7. Or at least 10 on a fat day not a thin one! I had baby #4 8m ago, and want to get to a weight I'm happy with for the next 30 years.

wrigglebum Fri 20-Sep-13 14:02:46

eatriskier, I'm relaxing a lot too now I'm so close to target (I'm 1lb off now!). Apart from yesterday's cake, I'm trying to fast until dinner with just a bovril or miso soup at lunch. Then I have a low carb dinner but I'm not too strict on the calories, mostly because I'm too lazy to count them. Sometimes I'll be over, sometimes under I'm sure. Occasionally I will have a little bit of lunch but again it would be low carb.

My appetite has definitely changed. Thought I'd have a chocolate break (ds1 just dropped off at school, ds2 asleep in pushchair)- I've managed a glass of elderflower cordial, 3 maltesers and a choc truffle and I'm stuffed hmm. Before this I would have hoovered up a whole pack, a dr pepper and still attacked the biscuits after!

I was thinking yesterday how great this forum is- I think I would have given up after the first fast without this. I remember feeling utterly terrible after my first fast- the morning after I was shaky- so I might have thought fasting didn't agree with me. But with this forum I could see that it would probably get easier, and it has. So flowers for you all.

Sorry about that. phphone clearly isn't as smart as it makes out!

BsshBossh Fri 20-Sep-13 14:48:23

wrigglebum I still have old MyFitnessPal records of what I used to consume and I am shocked at how much I managed to pack away, even after I'd lost quite a bit of weight. I'm eating a fraction of what I used to eat. The big difference now is that these days I get physically, painfully bloated if I overeat and it wipes me out completely. It's a big deterrent against binging again.

NotAsTired Fri 20-Sep-13 16:00:03

Well done, bssh, french and * mrsf*.

Weigh in today. Lost a lb so now 7 st 13 lbs. I'm focussing more on exercise and losing my apple tummy than the weight. Still doing the shred which helps me keep active the rest of the time. I may get a hula hoop to help although I have never been able to actually hula so feel a bit reluctant to buy it in case it's a waste of money.

NSV: pair of size 10 work trousers I bought in July are so baggy for me now. I have hardly worn it though so I will carry on wearing it (maybe sew up the waist so that they don't keep falling down). I haven't really looked at size 8 clothes yet. I think I will leave that until I get to my goal BMI.

FD here today. Got a bit of a headache due to a lack of fluids, which was caused by not taking my water bottle to work. Hopefully, I will feel better after drinking loads of water.

Birthday weekend for me. Asian party food tomorrow, cake and Nandos on Sunday and as a super special treat, DP taking me next Wednesday to a Michelin starred restaurant. It's actually. Promise he made about 2 and a half years ago after an achievement of mine and has finally decided to fulfil the promise. grin

NotAsTired Fri 20-Sep-13 16:01:41

It's actually a promise...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now