The 5:2 thread number 27 - Season of fasts and mellow rumblingness (with apologies to Keats)

(981 Posts)
BetsyBell Thu 19-Sep-13 16:58:47

The continuing thread for those of us following either the 5:2 diet or the alternate-day fasting diet.

The 5:2 diet was featured on Horizon in August 2012, and essentially requires you to fast for 2 non-consecutive days per week. The other 5 days, you can eat what you like, or approximately your TDEE (see explanation below). Alternate-day fasting is just how it sounds; you fast every other day. By "fasting", we mean that we keep our calorie consumption very low, around 500 calories on average for a woman, 600 for a man, on those days.

You'll find on these threads we use a number of acronyms. If you're new to the threads, or Mumsnet in general, they might not make much sense.

WOE/WOL = Way Of Eating/Way Of Life. We use this term instead of "diet" as many of us see this as something to do in the long term.

MFP = My Fitness Pal, a website many use for keeping track of the number of calories they're eating.

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure, quantifies the number of calories you burn in a day. This measure is best estimated by scaling your Basal Metabolic Rate to your level of activity. TDEE is critical in tailoring your nutrition plan to desired fitness goals. Here is a link to a calculator to help you figure out how many calories you should be eating in a day.

ADF = Alternate-day Fasting, as it says on the tin, fasting every other day rather than 5:2.

NFD = Non fast day

NSV = Non scale victory

Michael Mosley has a website to accompany his book on the subject. Please go check them out, as he's the whole reason most of us are here!

I know a number of people lurk on this thread, as this is currently quite popular. Please just jump in and post if you're new- you'll find a lot of support here.

Here is a list of links to get you started with this way of eating. Please let us know if you find a new article or some other information online:

All our previous threads can be found by browsing through our very own fasting section of the site.

Another thread which breadandwine has started is a good resource for some of the tips and links that get lost in these big threads. In addition to sharing links, we try to condense some of our top tips for fasting there. Keep in mind, we all do this differently, so these are just tips, not rules. This might be a good place to catch up with us if you're feeling a bit lost!

frenchfancy has a recipe thread over here, please post any low-calorie recipes there so they don't get lost in these bigger threads!

If you've been at this a while and are moving on to maintaining your goal weight, there is a thread here to discuss that.

Here is the link to the BBC article regarding Michael Mosley's findings, which was featured on Horizon.

There's a link to the aforementioned Horizon programme here.

A blog post here gives some of the scientific explanation for why this way of eating helps you to not only lose weight, but improve your all-around health.

A Telegraph article which comments on the diet and gives a brief overview by Dr Mosley himself, very informative if you're just starting. (I highly recommend this for an overview)

A study discussed here gives commentary specifically addressing the effect of this diet on obese people (both men and women), with regard to both health and weight loss. ("After 8 weeks of treatment, participants had an average 12.5 lbs reduction in body weight and a 4 cm decrease in waist circumference. Total fat mass declined by about 12 lbs while lean body mass remained relatively constant.) it also mentions "Plasma adiponectin, a protein hormone that is elevated in obesity and associated with heart disease, dropped by 30%. As did LDL cholesterol (25%) and triglycerides (32%).")

Something to consider if you are currently your ideal BMI: this appears to suggest the benefits for women at a lower BMI might not be seeing the same health benefits that are found on men at their ideal BMI.

A BIG THANK YOU to all who have been contributing. Most of us are learning this way of eating as we go along. All of the links above have been posted by others in our previous threads, and they've been very helpful.

A HUGE THANK YOU to Greeneggsandnicht for putting together all this info and resources into one concise OP text, much appreciated by so many 5:2ers!

Come join us, and tell us about your experiences with this diet!

Ooh shiny new thread--- hello all new lurkers , de lurkers etc..
I've had fast day today..well it was my plan to fast.Managed all day without a hitch until I got home from work and SOMEONE had left a tap on all day in the bathroom which had dripped through the ceiling onto wooden floor below.Cant dry it out very well because the heating is on the blink and the 4th heating engineer we called failed to turn up ! Oh my God could this week get any worse? So it had to be done ..sometimes only opening a bottle of wine will help! So I've a had a plate of Indian beans on toast and 2 glasses of wine...first time I've ' failed ' a fast since I began in Jan so hey ho!!!

BsshBossh Thu 19-Sep-13 21:29:27

Oh head, I'd definitely have failed if my taps had run like that. And now your heating too! Hope it all gets sorted for you soon.

peplum41 Thu 19-Sep-13 21:41:52

hitc all things considered, a full day of fasting, some beans on toast and a couple of glasses of wine. That's pretty good in my book. Sometimes wine really donks you on the head when you've not eaten much, so watch out for that.

HellesBellesThinksSometimes Thu 19-Sep-13 21:50:29

I'm being a wimp peplum! I just hate the feeling of suffocating - even though I know I'm not. If that makes sense?

Head that wine was entirely medicinal. It all sounds horrendous - I really hope everything gets fixed and back to normal.

I thought I would make a red lentil daal next time I cook (I've had lots of time to check out recipes and I was watching the incredible spice men on the iplayer - so good). I also want to try gobi aloo but I seem to need a few more spices for that. Ridiculous that I grew up in leeds and am only now getting to grips with indian cuisine! Only ever really had snacky bits as a child - pakora, samosa, sweets. The sort of thing you have straight after school to put you on til dinner by which time I'd be home eating mum's dry meat with hard potatoes and soft veg...

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 19-Sep-13 22:09:17

Lovely new thread, thanks Betsy!

Helles that sounds horrid, will it go away quickly?

head definitely understandable, I would have eaten a slab of chocolate washed down with cake on top I am sure grin Hope you get it sorted.

Well done MissS smile

FD successfully completed here today. I dug out my uniqlo thermal top I was so cold though! Do they do just vests, or something with shorter sleeves? Because the one I have shows a lot under anything other than a full jumper.
Actually for even colder days I've remembered about a Mountain Warehouse thermal top I bought for a skiing holiday a few years ago - it is seriously snuggly but comes right up to the neck so again only any good with jumpers. Great for being toasty at home in though.

HellesBellesThinksSometimes Thu 19-Sep-13 22:30:13

It is a shame that thermals are so visible under the majority of clothes AliBaba. I am improving, thank you, my temperature has gone (so I'm freezing!) and I am breathing more easily. With antibiotics and steroids, it takes about a week to get back to reasonably normal life though my asthma will be worse than normal for 2-3 months because my trachea will be quite raw from the swelling. On the plus side, I normally get it about once every three years so, once I'm up and about, I will have a lovely long time before I need to feel this way again smile

southeastdweller Thu 19-Sep-13 22:46:24

head One failed fast only in eight months is good going. I bet you enjoyed those beans and vino. Here's to a better week coming up wine.

SchrodingersFanny Thu 19-Sep-13 23:01:03

M&S do nice thermal vests that don't show.

My only big problem on FDs is I have medication I have to take at 10pm. It makes me feel sick on an rmpy-ish stomach. Not sure how to stop that.

Head- I think you were very restrained to just have the wine! Hope you get it sorted.

Twinmama32 Thu 19-Sep-13 23:25:39

Boy fasting was tricky today, 8 months in and today was a toughie! Hung onto till dinner and had a chilli & garlic prawn salad with avocado, toms, spring onions and a hot balsamic dressing. A.MAZE.ING.
Put paid to the chilly feelings creeping back in now its autumn, at least until the chilli burn wore off!
Kept busy today sorting through my wardrobe, got rid of over 30 items as they were too big or reminded me of bigger days. I want no excuse to slide back into clothes that have no right to still fit.

On the slow cooker front, I discovered it last year and loved it, gonna break mine out again soon, great for stocking up the freezer for fds.

Fd nearly over, roll on 3 nfds!

HellesBellesThinksSometimes Fri 20-Sep-13 06:17:33

Urgh! I've woken up still full from yesterday - the prawn curry I suspect. Just too much protein but it tasted sooooo good smile

BsshBossh Fri 20-Sep-13 06:58:18

Weigh-in Friday for me and 1 lb down. Happy with that cause it's been TOM week and I also haven't done any exercise all week. Also very happy because I am officially the lowest weight I've ever been (since my teens) smile

wrigglebum Fri 20-Sep-13 07:10:42

Well done Bssh! I am also at my lowest weight since I was 17!

I'm going to sort through my clothes soon to work out what can stay and what is to go. I've got a couple of things I'll take to the alterations shop to get taken in, at £10 it's cheaper than replacing them. Even my two week old Next size 10 jeans are baggy round the waist now!

thinkcan Fri 20-Sep-13 07:11:35

A tip for those of you contemplating buying a slow cooker. Try to get those with an unglazed clay inner pot or any kind of inner pot that can be used to cook over a stove. This way can bring your soups/stews to a boil over the stove first before letting it continue cooking slowly in the slow cooker. Also, you can fry your garlic, onions, spices, brown your meats over the stove first etc before letting the slow cooker continue the rest of the cooking process without having to do those things in another pot and then transferring the contents to the slow cooker pot. Saves having to wash up another pot. Hope I am making sense.

southeastdweller Fri 20-Sep-13 07:23:48

Well done Bssh. You must be close now to a weight you want to end up with?

SchrodingersFanny Fri 20-Sep-13 07:25:55

Well done bsssh

MissStrawberry Fri 20-Sep-13 07:55:04

eatriskier, peplum41 - on our wedding day I could only smile if the photographer told me too but there is a lovely photo of my sat on my own with my bottom lip sticking out. I think I had had enough of photos and was sat on my own. I didn't understand why the photographer did so many of me on my own after we were married.

head - I'm fairly sure there is no calories in wine that is medicinal grinwink.

Back later. Got to take the kids to school! Hate driving after yesterday but DH has already gone and it is too far for them to walk.

BsshBossh Fri 20-Sep-13 08:01:12

southeastdweller nope, a way to go still. I'm BMI 23 and want to get to BMI 21. So that's still 14 lbs to go. But now I'm a healthy weight, I'm in no rush at all. It's such a novelty to me being my current weight and I'm enjoying being the new slim me smile

BsshBossh Fri 20-Sep-13 08:09:55

thinkcan that's an excellent tip. I love the frying and stirring and simmering in the same pot so that would really work for me. I will research those kinds of slow cookers.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 20-Sep-13 08:17:01

Well done Bssh!

Scro - thanks for the M%S tip, will have a look. With regard to the meds, how about an oatcake or something v.low calorie with them? Wouldn't impact your meals much but might help?

I have just had granola, yoghurt and chopped plum and peach. Yum yum yum.

MrsFlorrick Fri 20-Sep-13 08:24:33

Morning all.

Well done everyone on losses and nsv!

Not much to report here. I did two FDs this week and succeeded to stay at 500 cals for first time ever.

I am now 165.8 lbs. lowest since pre DC but only a few onces off in a month but plenty of movement in terms of wearing smaller clothes.

Had killer migraine this week. After effects of meds finally lifted yesterday so today I am back to my normal self.

Will post again later once DD is at school.

wrigglebum Fri 20-Sep-13 08:31:40

Well done MrsF.

frenchfancy Fri 20-Sep-13 09:02:13

Just checking in. Still going after a year. Hit my lowest weight this morning after having a fairly lax summer. I am 33lbs lighter than this time last year and keeping it off appears to be pretty easy.

BsshBossh Fri 20-Sep-13 09:18:38

Well done MrsF and french!

BetsyBell Fri 20-Sep-13 09:32:00

9 months of 5:2 for me and I think this is my 18th thread smile

I love how a new thread brings out the lurkers - welcome sophiste, thank you for sharing!

It also seems to attract updates from the long-termers - waves to FF smile

Bssh I've realised I'm quite jealous of you! I'm so impressed with your dedication to changing your body shape. I wish I had any desire whatsoever to fork out on joining a gym/spend time in a gym. I quite like weights...

These threads have started slowing down a lot, I guess there are lots of other threads on the fasting/5:2 board now so people are starting threads there. It's a shame really as there's such easy access to great advice and support on here. We're just too mainstream now!

Twinmama The clear out is a very exciting moment, enjoy it! It's so easy to maintain with 5:2 that you'll never have to go back to the bigger sizes.

BsshBossh Fri 20-Sep-13 09:35:35

Thanks Betsy. It's completely a personality thing for me - I've always been extremely tenacious and self-disciplined about getting what I want.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now