Starting 5:2 today (2nd Sept) - anyone want to join me?

(107 Posts)
BlackberriesAhoy Mon 02-Sep-13 07:31:13

So I'm fasting today for the first time. I'm not expecting it to be pleasant envy grin

I've planned to have raspberries for breakfast, homemade soup for lunch and grilled chicken with veg for tea.
I'm also planning to drink lots of water. I'm going to give dc a cooked lunch so that when I'm really hungry I'm not cooking their tea!

Let the fasting commence!

Disey58 Tue 03-Sep-13 13:30:23

Went to bed early glad the day was over I found it more difficult than I thought but will persevere I think. Really enjoyed my dinner and my hubbie managed to survive the day he is quite keen to continue so that is a result. Can anyone tell me who has been doing the diet for a while if you have been successful in losing weight and how long before you got a result. Normal day thank goodness good luck to those have have started today.

GampyWabbit Tue 03-Sep-13 14:06:07

I started 5:2 in June and lost 6lbs. I have been off it for around 3 weeks while we were on holiday etc and have put on 1lb in that time. I also felt really bloated / unhealthy when I wasn't fasting during the holiday. I plan to restart on thur!

GampyWabbit Tue 03-Sep-13 14:07:27

I lost that 6lbs over around 5weeks, without doing any formal exercise (just running around after 3 kids).

GoodtoBetter Tue 03-Sep-13 14:15:37

I'm going to fast again tomorrow youcanringmybell and Friday too as I want to kick things off. When I did this the first time (this time last year) I did 4:3 for the first 2 weeks and lost 5lbs in that time. Then changed jobs and fell off the wagon.
I didn't find yesterday too bad but then I've done this before. I don't eat til lunch and find I'm not hungry really, get hungry late afternoon though. I've been drinking water and chewing gum when hungry.

I split my 500 or so calories across lunch and dinner.

coveredinweetabix Tue 03-Sep-13 16:10:33

I feel as though I have a horrid taste in my mouth/bad breath. Could this be linked to fasting yesterday?
I had a brie, tomato and basil baguette for lunch today which was delicious and something that I haven't had for months as I've been cal counting for the past year or so (lost 2st but have plateau'd for the past two months; hence giving this a go)

AngieM2 Tue 03-Sep-13 17:01:03

I lost 12lb in 6 weeks but had also changed gym at the same time so I exercised more and varied. My only pearl of wisdom to offer is that to those on a fast day....I have never had breakfast....the first fast I had lunch at 2.30 then dinner at 7 but was do hungry after the lunch that I now dont bother and just wait for my dinner. Yes its quite hard but I'd rather fast longer I'm sure it makes it easier.

tedmundo Tue 03-Sep-13 17:13:25

covered .. I have a nasty taste in my mouth too. I am also thinking it is the fasting. Managed to not snack today at all so rest of calories can go on the meal tonight. I fasted on Sunday too as the two best days for fasting were Sunday and Today but I don't think I am ever doing the fast days just one day apart again.

Do the rest of you have fixed days or just seeing where the week takes you? I go out with friends most weeks with no fixed day, so I think I am going to have to be quite flexible.

I took pain killers in the end for my head and the ache has completely gone. I hope this does not happen every fast day.

Anyone else getting bad heads on fast days? I can take the hunger but not headaches!

tedmundo Tue 03-Sep-13 17:15:14

Hi angie .. I think you are right. I felt worse after the egg and ham earlier. On Sunday I ate nothing until 6pm and actually felt fine. I think I am going to do that next time.

BTW 12lbs in 6 weeks is amazing. Well done you!

Mintyy Tue 03-Sep-13 17:29:36

I am going to get back in the saddle with this.

I did 5:2 for 9 months from 1st September last year to mid-July and lost precisely 0lb.

Since I gave it up I've definitely put on weight so now my need to lose some is more pressing than ever!

I have come to the realisation that I have to be very strict with what I eat on non-fast days, it isn't quite the fast two days a week and you will magically lose weight woe that it is cracked up to be!

GampyWabbit Tue 03-Sep-13 17:48:14

I had fixed days (mon & thur) as they are my non working days. I used my fitness pal and would generally not eat until after 2pm either.

BlackberriesAhoy Tue 03-Sep-13 18:26:11

Nine months and no loss minty?!! What was your eating like on non-fast days?

tedmundo Tue 03-Sep-13 18:42:54

9 months for no change? You are a stronger person than me. No way could I do this without seeing payback. I am dreaming of the muffin top reducing. That'll be the 3 DSs stretching the skin ...

goandshowdaddy Tue 03-Sep-13 19:52:02

Oh god, there's no way I could do this for 9 months without losing a single pound! Fingers crossed it starts to work within a couple of weeks otherwise I'm bound to give up!

goandshowdaddy Tue 03-Sep-13 20:19:17

Remind me not to do fast day when Great British Bake Off is on!

Disey58 Tue 03-Sep-13 21:20:11

A normal day and fasting again on Thursday will know what to expect already planned the evening meal :-)

tedmundo Tue 03-Sep-13 21:20:18

I d enough calories left for half a double decker. The other half is sat on the kitchen counter winking at me.

BlackberriesAhoy Tue 03-Sep-13 21:40:09

Ok all, what am I going to have for my tea on Thursday (next fasting day)?
Nothing fish-related but any other suggestions welcomed smile
I'm thinking of trying to miss breakfast for my next fasting day hoping that I will feel less gross by the end if my calories are eaten later on.

Tedmundo - I had an absolutely splitting headache on my first fast day. Hopefully we won't get them next time!

BlackberriesAhoy Tue 03-Sep-13 21:41:35

Does anyone know btw if you SHOULD eat the amount of calories they recommend on your non-fasting days? I haven't reached my allowance today.

GoodtoBetter Tue 03-Sep-13 22:36:10

Not sure. I've eaten too much chocolate today. (Non fast day) Wasn't that hungry earlier but went a bit overboard on chocolate when DD finally went to sleep at 9.42 little bugger

Disey58 Wed 04-Sep-13 06:52:26

Posted 2 messages over the last couple of days but they don't seem to hve appeared, sorry BlackberriesAhoy as they were responding to your last post anyway will try this and see what happens :-) cookery book was The Hairy Dieters to anyone that's interested great recipes recommend the salmon and the prawn curry, yummy keep most of my calories for dinner something to lok forward too.

Disey58 Wed 04-Sep-13 06:56:17

Either my brain has gone into shutdown or something silly is going on but my messages are now there.
Fasting day tomorrow planned meal already looking forward to it already will let you know how it goes.

AngieM2 Wed 04-Sep-13 08:26:24

Some fast days ive come in below 300 calories. Had 2 boiled eggd and 6 dutch crispbreads for my tea....and thats it!

goandshowdaddy Wed 04-Sep-13 09:22:37

BlackberriesAhoy, what's the recommended amount of calories for non-fasting days?

I had half a butternut squash (tesco finest) soup for my tea last night, plus some Rachel's organic rhubarb yoghurt. Very nice!

GampyWabbit Wed 04-Sep-13 09:48:36

I forgot to say before that I was eating 1200 calories on non fasting days. That was the amount recommended on 'my fitness pal' when I put in my details and how much I wanted to lose.

tedmundo Wed 04-Sep-13 14:05:31

I am enjoying my NFD today. I am not eating much though as I am strangely not that hungry. I did the daft thing of weighing myself mid week (I am planning Sunday am weigh ins) and the scales tell me I am already 1.5lb lighter.

DH kindly pointed out though that that is simply a big poo. He's not helping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now