i get so hungry on the day after a fast

(6 Posts)
RawCoconutMacaroon Wed 31-Jul-13 15:17:31

And I bet those office snacks are very carby as these things tend to be!

Going prepared is the sensible option grin

The supermarkets all sell little bags of almonds, cashews etc 25g or so, these are really handy to keep in your bag for those emergency snacking moments! Good because they keep for several months until needed.

Andcake Wed 31-Jul-13 13:12:03

So more protein on non fast days i'm a veggie so find that a bit challenging. Tried with eggs for breakfast today so hopefully that will work. I work in an office where snacks are always around and on non fast days i can resist but other wise will get up and walk back and forth to the snack table.
On fast days I don't actually feel hungry - i seem to thrive on not eating - feel energized somehow.
ill buy some nuts for my desk draw.

RawCoconutMacaroon Wed 31-Jul-13 08:37:35

Ok- everything you've listed there is carby, the problem with that is it causes blood sugar spikes and crashes, and that makes you hungry all the time.

More fat and protein and a lot less carbs will even out your blood sugars and cut hunger (you'll eat fewer calories overall).

ie a boiled egg or a small handful of nuts will be more satisfying than rice cakes (pure sugar really), and keep you going so much longer, and as a bonus, have a lot more vitamins and minerals in too!

Maybe you are not 'hungry' at all, but just grazing. If you fast, you know what hunger feels like and that is not how you are feeling when you reach for the next rice cake, choc bar or whatever. It sounds to me like mindless eating, when mindful eating is a more helpful approach.

Breadandwine Tue 30-Jul-13 22:21:59

Hi AC

This is a very common problem on feed days - one that afflicts us all, whether just beginning, or, in my case, after 17 months IFing (now maintaining).

The thing is that we're programmed to eat when there is food about - which is why we find fast days so much easier.

I've written about the appetite and the 'hunger switch' here:

nobreadisanisland.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/52-diet-intermittent-fasting-aand.html

ATB, B&W

Andcake Tue 30-Jul-13 15:53:50

ok so i find fast days relatively easy. As i don't have lots of weight to lose - just some post baby weight (and 9 mo maternity leave cake eating) I decided not to count calories on non fast days but i worry that i binge.

Pre baby I had never been on a diet as i exercised loads but now I would prefer to spend time with baby instead of in the gym or at aerobics classes (i used to do yoga 3 times a week, aerobics twice) now I occasionally do yoga once.

Its only the day after the fast but hell. Yesterday i ate 500 calories I think coped without anything apart from a skinny latte until 1.30. But since then i've had soup, marmite cheese toast, a chocolate bar and am now picking at rice cakes in my desk draw as I'm 'starving' even considering popping out of the office to get more food. please tell me i'm not the only one.
I fast 2 days (only at work as at home I find it impossible as I graze - probably how I put on the weight anyway!
I've been 5:2 for a month but its always the same.
I'm not sure if I've lost any weight but i do fit into clothes better as I don't own scales (a long story to do with dm thinking that it breeds a non healthy attitude to food and weight- sexism etc) but i was size 10-12 pre baby and now 12-14 ;-(
please don't say i have to count calories on non fast days ;-(

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now