The 5:2 Thread Number 24 - Summer's still here so skip the snack and share the meal!

(981 Posts)
BetsyBell Mon 22-Jul-13 19:30:53

The continuing thread for those of us following either the 5:2 diet or the alternate-day fasting diet.

The 5:2 diet was featured on Horizon in August 2012, and essentially requires you to fast for 2 non-consecutive days per week. The other 5 days, you can eat what you like, or approximately your TDEE (see explanation below). Alternate-day fasting is just how it sounds; you fast every other day. By "fasting", we mean that we keep our calorie consumption very low, around 500 calories on average for a woman, 600 for a man, on those days.

You'll find on these threads we use a number of acronyms. If you're new to the threads, or Mumsnet in general, they might not make much sense.

WOE/WOL = Way Of Eating/Way Of Life. We use this term instead of "diet" as many of us see this as something to do in the long term.

MFP = My Fitness Pal, a website many use for keeping track of the number of calories they're eating.

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure, quantifies the number of calories you burn in a day. This measure is best estimated by scaling your Basal Metabolic Rate to your level of activity. TDEE is critical in tailoring your nutrition plan to desired fitness goals. Here is a link to a calculator to help you figure out how many calories you should be eating in a day.

ADF = Alternate-day Fasting, as it says on the tin, fasting every other day rather than 5:2.

NFD = Non fast day

NSV = Non scale victory

Michael Mosley has a website to accompany his book on the subject. Please go check them out, as he's the whole reason most of us are here!

I know a number of people lurk on this thread, as this is currently quite popular. Please just jump in and post if you're new- you'll find a lot of support here.

Here is a list of links to get you started with this way of eating. Please let us know if you find a new article or some other information online:

All our previous threads can be found by browsing through our very own fasting section of the site.

Another thread which breadandwine has started is a good resource for some of the tips and links that get lost in these big threads. In addition to sharing links, we try to condense some of our top tips for fasting there. Keep in mind, we all do this differently, so these are just tips, not rules. This might be a good place to catch up with us if you're feeling a bit lost!

frenchfancy has a recipe thread over here, please post any low-calorie recipes there so they don't get lost in these bigger threads!

If you've been at this a while and are moving on to maintaining your goal weight, there is a thread here to discuss that.

Here is the link to the BBC article regarding Michael Mosley's findings, which was featured on Horizon.

There's a link to the aforementioned Horizon programme here.

A blog post here gives some of the scientific explanation for why this way of eating helps you to not only lose weight, but improve your all-around health.

A Telegraph article which comments on the diet and gives a brief overview by Dr Mosley himself, very informative if you're just starting. (I highly recommend this for an overview)

A study discussed here gives commentary specifically addressing the effect of this diet on obese people (both men and women), with regard to both health and weight loss. ("After 8 weeks of treatment, participants had an average 12.5 lbs reduction in body weight and a 4 cm decrease in waist circumference. Total fat mass declined by about 12 lbs while lean body mass remained relatively constant.) it also mentions "Plasma adiponectin, a protein hormone that is elevated in obesity and associated with heart disease, dropped by 30%. As did LDL cholesterol (25%) and triglycerides (32%).")

Something to consider if you are currently your ideal BMI: this appears to suggest the benefits for women at a lower BMI might not be seeing the same health benefits that are found on men at their ideal BMI.

A BIG THANK YOU to all who have been contributing. Most of us are learning this way of eating as we go along. All of the links above have been posted by others in our previous threads, and they've been very helpful.

A HUGE THANK YOU to Greeneggsandnicht for putting together all this info and resources into one concise OP text, much appreciated by so many 5:2ers!

Come join us, and tell us about your experiences with this diet!

Emilythornesbff Mon 22-Jul-13 21:15:26

Hey.
Not posted for a while.but still 5:2 ing.
Finding it tougher in the heat tbh. And not managed a zero fast for a couple of weeks.

Help me stop snacking. FGS!
Anyone else actually find it easy to fast or at least eat more healthily in the winter? With soup and tea?

AwkwardSquad Mon 22-Jul-13 21:16:46

Here's a tip: don't use Palmers cocoa butter body lotion on a fast day. I smell of white chocolate - the good stuff, Green and Blacks or something. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! The temptation! I tried licking my arm but sadly I don't actually taste of the stuff.

BetsyBell Mon 22-Jul-13 21:25:51

emily I allow myself 1 snack time per non fast day - so I'm allowed to eat at 4pm.Giving myself permission stops me from going over board and sometimes I don't at all.

Welcome chirpchirp - sounds like this is definitely the right WOE for you, pleased to have you on board smile

HomeEcoGnomist Excellent set of scale and NSVs there!

And welcome vjhist smile I've been grumpy too today - I think it's the heat, lack of sleep etc, I don't usually feel quite so annoyed with everything! Just focus on how great you'll feel tomorrow with another successful fast day in hand.

Emilythornesbff Mon 22-Jul-13 21:26:11

grin

Talkinpeace Mon 22-Jul-13 21:27:19

vjhist allow yourself plenty of fluids and caffeine. But yes, kids are v v tired / tiring in this heat ...

chirpchirp
welcome. You are by no means alone with the scale of what you want to achieve
and the lovely thing about this WOE is that even those of us who have finished losing are eating the same as everybody else on fast days

Talkinpeace Mon 22-Jul-13 21:28:34

EmilyThorne

STOP SNACKING : save the calories for pleasant meal times instead ...

Emilythornesbff Mon 22-Jul-13 21:29:04

Thanks.

BetsyBell Mon 22-Jul-13 21:41:14

tip's way is better - but I lack the requisite self control. And my lunches are too small. [excuses] grin

monster54 Mon 22-Jul-13 21:44:00

Love reading everyone's targets!!!! So motivational!!!

What do people do to celebrate these or what are they planning on doing when they reach mini targets???

I'm seriously contem

peplum41 Mon 22-Jul-13 21:44:52

angelabbie your post reads as though you have your own cook, like you're royalty. Ok yah.

vavoom welcome to the fold. No doubt your oh is interested whatever you think you look like and I'm sure you don't.

betsy nice photos, great tummy shrinkage. Still don't know if you've dark blonde hair as I suspect. The heat and fasting are a moody mix for me. I owe someone a heartfelt apology for this mornings behaviour.

tortoise this isn't going to work. It's your winter its our summer, you're going to be moaning its hot when were freezing.

talkin great title, great tips.

dotty loved your river nsv.

monster54 Mon 22-Jul-13 21:45:35

Sorry posted too soon!!

Contemplating a whole drawer of new underwear!!! I have hundreds of bras all too big. Post pregnancy/pregnancy/post breast feeding!!! Urrrggghhhh!!!

I need some good fitting stuff!!!

JB30 Mon 22-Jul-13 21:48:42

Oh me oh my - on the tail end of my holiday and let's just say my tail end has somewhat expanded! Looking forward to getting back on track - its not been my worst holiday for food but being all inclusive meant probably more alcohol, hangs head in shame minor tipsyness
Absolutely bricking myself to stand on scales, thinking I might just use my clothes (as in the non elasticated non holiday wear) as a gauge of the damage I've done. Been checking in on other websites/weightloss threads I was on. Cannot believe I ever did the points thing, jeez it's a miserable way to live - really think this WOL/woe is the best thing I've ever done. Looking forward to Wednesday and a feeling of lightness soberness/carb'free'ness

thaliablogs Mon 22-Jul-13 21:53:41

Fast day here, went much better than last Friday although I could murder some mint choc chip ice cream right now. Did not feel particularly grumpy etc.. Had more calories at lunch than in the last 2 fasts, around 150 - lots of peppers and rocket with a slice of turkey and 3 quails eggs. Wonder if that just kept me going a bit better. Supper was cold roast chicken (100g) and a big watercress and spinach salad w radishes. Good but not that substantial. Everyone else had potato salad and roast veg as well!

So vjhirst you have my sympathy, I wanted to kill someone last Friday night. I don't know that it gets consistently easier but clearly each fast is different.

Southeastdweller Mon 22-Jul-13 21:56:27

One target (if target's the right word) for me is to continue a general sub-conscious disinterest in the crap I used to scoff all the time. I still enjoy eating it but not as often as I used to because I genuinely can't be bothered to eat the muffins or whatever.

Then, when I reach a period of few months of comfortable maintenance I'll be finally buying myself a MacBook after coveting one for years!

ceebeegeebies Mon 22-Jul-13 21:57:17

Just bookmarking smile

Book admin p,ace!

Breadandwine Tue 23-Jul-13 00:38:33

Thanks for the thread, BB!

I'm approaching the end of a liquid fasting day - 28 hours (and counting!) since I last ate, so far. Bedtime soon, then a light breakfast in the morning.

Unusually for me I felt a slight hunger pang around 8pm, but it soon went. What took a little longer to go was the feeling of grumpiness at around the same time. I can only assume it was because my body isn't yet attuned to this length of fast.

Not sure it will get used to it either, since the agreement I have with my wife, ATM, is that I'll only LF one week out of four.

Quite pleased with myself in that I've made two fruit loaves this evening (change of plan from the Chelseas I was all set to make) and I'm not in the slightest bit tempted!

Went a bit over my 500 yesterday (stoopit husband wanting cheesey crackers about 10 pm). BUT I did do a zumba class in the evening. I know I don't get to eat those extra calories, but it was the first time I'd tried something energetic on a fast day, and I found it totally doable.

Enjoy your long-awaited breakfast B&W!

london I'm also 5ft 4 and started 5:2 at 10st 1lb, have lost 25lbs and now maintaining easily. You might be surprised at what you can achieve. Wrist measurement gives an indication of body frame, there was a link a few threads back which used wrist size to estimate ideal weight range. Good luck!

Welcome chirp and vj

Fast day number 4 today, have woken up feeling starving so drinking green tea and hoping I can trick my body into thinking this is breakfast! grin

Dotty342kids Tue 23-Jul-13 08:22:16

Weighed in at 10st 7lbs after first fast of the week this morning. Quite pleased actually as I'm normally a bit "up" after a weekend! NFD today and out for lunch with a friend, yippee!

BsshBossh Tue 23-Jul-13 08:31:33

Thanks for new thread Betsy and you look fantastic!

No fasting this week for me as I'm on holiday but I'm generally skipping breakfast and not snacking much - this is less by design and more the fact that I simply can't physically eat as much as I used to. However, the main meals we are eating are quite calorific: fish & chips, pizza etc followed by ice cream so next week's fasts can't come soon enough. I won't bother weighing in this week - no point. I'll fast as usual next week then weigh in after those.

Right, back to visiting castles and strolling along the beach.

BetsyBell Tue 23-Jul-13 08:33:20

Breakfast was needed today after all - kept awake by thunder, then kids/ There's only so long I can run on empty and be exhausted!

Had my favourite power breakfast: 2 slices vogel toast with marmite, avocado, lemon juice, pepper and tomato. Feeling almost human now

BetsyBell Tue 23-Jul-13 08:35:05

Sounds nice Bssh smile (and thank you for nice words!)

Last day of school then not long till a proper holiday.

I. Can't. Wait.

BetsyBell Tue 23-Jul-13 08:41:29

Peplum Not a blonde and never have been grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now