5:2 fasting questions

(8 Posts)
GrimmaTheNome Thu 04-Jul-13 08:46:40

French - yes, when I did lunch to late lunch I didn't eat in between. If you do this don't forget to drink plenty (applies to any fasting - lots of our liquid usually comes from food)

frenchfancy Thu 04-Jul-13 06:10:58

You don't eat back your exercise calories on fast days. Your body has built fat reserbes for a reason now it needs to learn to use them.

Ojos Wed 03-Jul-13 20:10:32

When you're doing a fast day, do you count the cals you eat only, or do you count any exercise calories. for example: you eat 500 cals, but you burn 450 calories exercising.
You total would be 50 cals! I'm not sure if I should then eat 450!?
Not sure what to do?

frenchfancy Wed 03-Jul-13 19:52:16

If you want to do just 6pm to 6pm then you are better sticking to zero cals rather than 500. 500 cals then a normal dinner is just a light lunch, you are not really fasting;

GrimmaTheNome Wed 03-Jul-13 16:55:08

I've tried that sort of thing a couple of times but from early lunch one day to late lunch another day - wasn't too bad.

pixiegumboot Wed 03-Jul-13 16:50:21

Thanks! didn't think I could do the fast as I'm not nice to be around without food. will give it a go and try moving to 36hrs if I can handle 24 grin

plecofjustice Wed 03-Jul-13 15:58:14

Some people do it that way, others do it for a whole day, so you eat a normal dinner at 6pm, then don't eat again until breakfast the day after the fast, e.g.

Monday - normal dinner
Tuesday - 500 cal
Wednesday - normal breakfast

The science seems to indicate that a 16 hour fast is the main "window" for significant health benefits, and that a 36ish hour fast is more beneficial than a 24hr fast. Obviously you are also creating a bigger calorie deficit in 36 hours than 24.

COme alone to the main thread and read the links in the first post for more info.

pixiegumboot Wed 03-Jul-13 12:57:58

So I get that I can eat normally for 5 days. But can you please help with these questions?
Fasting is for 24 hours?
Within that 24 hours I can eat up to 500 calories?
So does than mean I can eat dinner as normal at 6pm, then fast for 24hrs and eat a normal dinner, after 6pm, the very next night?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now