Starting on Monday - anyone want to be my buddy?

(417 Posts)
SpanielFace Tue 02-Jul-13 10:13:14

I'm planning on starting next week - it's my birthday on Thursday so want to wait until after then!

I'm 32, 5'7 and have about 5 stone to lose. I have a 10 month old DS and I have recently been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid gland, which slows the metabolism and makes it harder to lose weight - I started treatment 2 weeks ago and am already feeling much better, so I'm hoping to find losing weight a bit easier. 2 stone of this weight has been gained since having DS, which I feel ashamed about, but have been feeling exhausted and depressed (due mostly to the thyroid, it turns out) and have compensated by comfort eating. confused

I really hope this will be a solution to 8 years of yo-yo dieting, which have taken me from a size 10 to a size 18 confused A little nervous of the hunger, but I know it won't kill me.

Does anyone want to be my buddy, for a bit of mutual support?

becky78 Thu 19-Sep-13 21:15:30

Thanks weary, DS loves the idea of school - the teachers, the uniform etc but goes to pieces when I have to leave. He did the same his nursery too, hoping he gets over it quickly. We seem to have opposite problems!!

Managed to come in under 500 cals today though so pleased with that - fingers crossed scales are kind tomorrow.

JoanRanger Fri 20-Sep-13 02:41:56

I'll join to - I also caved and signed up to Mumsnet for this ;)

I've got one of those spoony-type disorders that limits the amount of exercise I can do, and am slowly realising that after a lifetime of being anti-diet I need to find a permanent way to manage my weight. The disorder means that the more weight I add, the more problems I will have. I'm not going to weigh myself, just go by waistband etc.

I also want to stop eating mindlessly, and to stop eating crap (by which I don't mean junky food, but food that I'm not enjoying. I have clear-the-plate-itis). I read Susie Orbach years ago and found her helpful, but still tend to eat too much when stressed or hormonal.

I had a brief flirtation with 5:2 earlier this summer and was amazed at how well I felt with the fasting. I want to try again now, although I'll be a guest/on the move until January for work reasons. That might make it tough, so I need to find creative ways to deal with it. Am actually just about to go off line for a week but will be back when I can!

Wearytiger Fri 20-Sep-13 06:39:30

Hi Joan! I am a complete convert to 5:2 and I was the most anti diet person you can possibly imagine. Fasting today. Best of luck!

Luvvies Fri 20-Sep-13 08:58:20

Hope it's good news today Becky.

I had remarkable (for me) self control for a NFD yesterday. I was determined to make sure I kept off the 1 lb I had lost prior to my weigh in day, so I had a piece of toast for breakfast, managed to dodge lunch, had a Special K bar late afternoon then had half a thin base pizza for my meal out. Only water and diet coke all day.
It worked.

1 lb loss this week.
Total 12 lb in 6 weeks.

becky78 Fri 20-Sep-13 09:55:25

Good news - 1.5lb off this week - 5lb in 7 weeks now but happy with that as had a week off for holiday and ate what I liked.

Bad news - just left DS sobbing at preschool again. Have promised him mcdonalds as a special treat for lunch for getting through his first week.

Planning on doing some gardening this afternoon to burn off the calories!!

I'm a non diet believer too - I lost 1.5stone on ww once before but couldn't face counting points forever just to maintain but 5:2 just seems to work and fit in with normal life and still allow for pub lunches, occasional takeaways, chocolate and wine! I can see it as something I can stick with long term. I'm hoping when the baby starts sleeping better I will have more energy to do some more exercise and that might boost the weight loss too.

becky78 Fri 20-Sep-13 09:57:07

Meant to say, well done luvvies, you are an inspiration smile

Wearytiger Fri 20-Sep-13 09:59:41

Great news becky and luvvies! I have had a non scale victory today ... Dug out an old winter coat that previously wouldn't do up, now it looks fab. Was a happy bunny in my bright red swishy coat on the school run this morning!

Luvvies Fri 20-Sep-13 11:52:07

Bet you looked great weary.

I bet he had some fun once you'd gone Becky. It'll get better I'm sure. I had a delicate clingy DS like that who is now a super confident independent nearly 18 year old entertainer with his own stage show! Enjoy McDs and catching up on his stories of his morning.

Luvvies Fri 20-Sep-13 12:16:20

Oh and I should have said well done Becky!

becky78 Fri 20-Sep-13 19:45:35

Thanks luvvies, that is reassuring smile

Well done weary, the scales do make you feel better about things but fitting into smaller clothes has to be the best thing. I have numerous pairs of jeans I one day hope to be able to do up again!!

Wearytiger Mon 23-Sep-13 08:57:14

Two lb loss today (prob what has happened is 1.5lb last week and this week but I am scrupulous to round up if any doubt!) Really pleased. If I lose another lb next week that will be a stone gone (my first target is 1.5 stone). Fasting today!

AphraBehn Mon 23-Sep-13 09:26:15

Well done all, slow and steady is the key I think.

1lb off for me making 9lbs in 12 weeks. On the face of it that doesn't sound too great but I have at least 3 weeks of only doing 1FD and 1 week not doing it at all. I also don't calorie count at all on NFDs though I don't overindulge.

More importantly, I am still here plugging away, feeling like I've achieved something. On WW or SW I would have given up by now. I think the change in mindset is the most significant thing and means that I can carry on with this.

FD for me as well today.

AphraBehn Mon 23-Sep-13 09:29:50

Actually, scratch that. The most important thing is that my jeans are getting too loose and I've had to size down in a new top!

becky78 Mon 23-Sep-13 10:24:47

FD for me too today.

Great news weary and aphra - best not to focus on the timescales I think 9lb off is 9lb off and continuing in the right direction.

Good luck everyone smile

Luvvies Wed 25-Sep-13 09:23:31

How are we all doing midweek?

Second FD for me and I don't want to jinx things by typing it, but I think I'm heading for good news on the scales at the end of this week.

Stressful work stuff yesterday would usually have had me reaching for high calorie food, but I didn't want to undo Monday's FD, so that's progress!

GatoradeMeBitch Wed 25-Sep-13 16:12:09

Hi everyone! I started today, and am worried I may have failed? There was half a Flyte bar in my desk drawer and I was so peckish I ate it before I realised what I was doing! It was only 100 calories so not the end of the world, I'll adjust my dinner to make sure I keep within my 530 calories.

becky78 Wed 25-Sep-13 16:23:47

Well done luvvies fingers crossed for a food result.

Welcome gator, don't worry about flyte, I think the best thing about 5:2 is how flexible and adjustable it is - and at least it wasn't a king size Snickers!

I abandoned FD1 on Monday after offer of 2 for 1 pub lunch so did yesterday and will do tomorrow. Time of month this week so I'll be happy if I stay the same.

Good news, dropped DS off at school with no tears today - he says he is 'getting used to it' smile.

Hope everyone else is going ok.

GatoradeMeBitch Wed 25-Sep-13 18:44:44

I was hoping to do it clean becky just protein and veg. That's already out of the window - day one!

My eating for the day is done. I am planning what I am going to eat tomorrow!

Luvvies Wed 25-Sep-13 19:46:09

That's great news on the no tears Becky. What a brave boy.

I've had clear soup, chicken breast, peas and a spoonful of potato and its only notched up 265 so far. Had one cup of tea with skimmed milk earlier today. So I've at least 200 more calories to eat. And I don't fancy anything!

I think I'm going to have to be good and eat a banana, aren't I? I don't think it's wise to cut back too far.

Luvvies Wed 25-Sep-13 19:47:36

And welcome Gator. Or do you prefer Bitch? Sometimes tricky to know what to shorten a nickname to!

GatoradeMeBitch Wed 25-Sep-13 20:45:44

Bitch would be amusing, I don't mind either way!

I read that after a while 5:2ers learn to have a better diet on non-fast days. I hope that's true. Right now I'm thinking of pain au chocolats for breakfast, a fish finger sandwich for lunch, followed by a Mr Kipling something, and pizza for dinner. All I can think about is junk food, and I don't usually eat quite that badly! Has anyone else had this reaction?

I don't even feel overwhelmingly hungry, I just can't stop thinking about calorific food!

Wearytiger Wed 25-Sep-13 22:14:19

Gator I naturally eat better on NFDs now although more in terms of quantity not quality... I still eat chocolate bars and cake but fewer of them and in smaller sizes! I just don't have the appetite I did. And that really is a natural side effect as I don't consciously try to eat less on NFDs at all.

In other news a. I fasted today and b. my DH has started as well! Will be very interesting to see how he finds it!

GatoradeMeBitch Thu 26-Sep-13 09:17:38

I went to bed red in the face which seemed a bit weird, and woke up with a headache.

I'm now off to Sainsbury's, I hope I don't go too crazy in there grin

becky78 Thu 26-Sep-13 09:39:37

gator, I eat what I used to on non fast days which is not particularly healthy (I love a Chinese, chocolate and Coke) but agree with weary that I find I'm getting full quicker so perhaps eat smaller amounts. Also, I think with any weight loss plan once you start seeing weight come off you tend to be more disciplined as you don't want to undo good work.

I also figure that while I'm eating what I used to on nfd's and losing weight it is working and if I plateau before goal I still have some changes I can make and if not, happy days, I can reach goal with only changing 2 days a week!

Wearytiger Thu 26-Sep-13 10:53:34

I also figure that while I'm eating what I used to on nfd's and losing weight it is working and if I plateau before goal I still have some changes I can make and if not, happy days, I can reach goal with only changing 2 days a week!

^ yyy to this!^

Gator the only time I have felt unwell on a FD was the day I ate a 100 cal low fat choc mousse. I felt horrible. Completely anecdotally, I think if a big chunk if your (restricted) calorie intake is artificial sweeteners etc your body may object! Perhaps just me though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now