5:2 diet and breastfeeding at 10 months...

(9 Posts)
Toddlertwinsmum1 Sun 30-Jun-13 21:27:08

I know there are other threads about this topic, but they all seem to be from people who are in the early stages of breastfeeding. I was just wondering if anyone has started the diet when breastfeeding is well established? I am considering trying it as I have a couple of stone to lose but don't want it to affect my milk. I am currently ebf twins who have just turned 10 months and would be gutted if I couldn't now continue for a year but really want to start doing something about my weight. Would be grateful for any feedback from anyone in the know.

spacegirl81 Sun 30-Jun-13 21:30:16

And watching with interest as I would like to start this diet but am ebf my 8 month old smile

LaurenLaverne Mon 01-Jul-13 11:44:13

I started 5:2 when my DS was 14 months old (now 17 months), he still feeds loads, especially at night hmm . I havn't noticed any effect on my supply. I have lost about 10lbs in that time, and am now just below my pre-pregnancy weight. I'm planning on keeping going til I lose another half stone, and then going to 1:6. I have found the fast days mostly fine, the days when I struggle seem to be linked to nights when DS has slept badly and I'm knackered, rather than breastfeeding ifyswim?

I started 5:2 when DD was 7 months, 2 months ago. I haven't noticed any effect on my supply, DD is still breastfed 3-4 times per day. I have lost 15lb, and am now switching to maintenance as my BMI is in the lower end of normal.

Toddlertwinsmum1 Mon 01-Jul-13 12:36:37

Thanks so much for your replies. It's encouraging to hear that it hasn't affected your milk, especially as the books say its not for breast feeding mums (like so many things!) On my first fast day today, feel ok so far, even managed to resist when ds ate a doughnut earlier!

LaurenLaverne Mon 01-Jul-13 19:48:15

Excellent! Well done grin its the only "diet" I have ever stuck to, and I don't count cals on non-fast days (Really pig out sometimes!)

CherryPaulson Thu 04-Jul-13 22:27:47

Have you heard of ``eating for energy?`` It`s a diet designed around overall health. It was a great reference and helped me bounce back even better than before I had my son. Anyone who is into the 5:2 ``vibe`` should check it out. choppysreviews.com/eating-for-energy/

Bibblebo Thu 04-Jul-13 22:40:00

I ebf'd my son until 2.5yo. When I did stop, the weight practically dropped off. I also got my first couple of proper nights sleep. I am however glad I stuck it out until I felt my baby was ready to stop. I think that was when he started wearing tweed trousers!
I think that my point is that whilst long term breastfeeding, lots of women reserve fat. I think that I even read this in a biology book recently - will try to find it. In the early days it helps the womb to contract but in my experience, the sudden and arresting hunger that I experienced whilst i was still breast feeding kept me eating. It is still important to take supplements and to eat well or the baby will take it from your body, leaving you vulnerable. It's not forever, I would recommend eating well. If you look up 'baby brain' you'll find something about nutrition and the importance of essential fatty acids during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Enjoy losing weight though - it will prob begin to drop off when you stop! smile

Toddlertwinsmum1 Mon 08-Jul-13 08:25:16

Thanks for your messages cherry and Bibblebo. Spacegirl, just thought you'd like to know, I decided to give it a go last week, was surprised how easy it feels and didn't seem to affect my milk at all. Fast days are strangely enjoyable (probably helps that it's so sunny and too hot to eat loads) but I managed to lose 6lb this week. Don't think I've ever lost so much so quickly when not actually feeling deprived at all. Would definitely recommend it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now