just weighed myself after 1st week of fasting and only lost 1lb - gutted

(10 Posts)
SerotoninCanEatTomorrow Sat 06-Jul-13 08:04:10

Make sure you are eating your tdee on non-fast days otherwise the weight loss will be slower as the body retains more fat (the switch between low/high cals is part of the health benefits as well as preventing 'starvation mode') - read the tips thread as the explanation is there. For example, I am 5'4 and currently weigh around 10 1/2 stone, and my tdee is approx 1800 cals so I try to achieve that on non-fast days.

GampyWabbit Sat 06-Jul-13 07:17:14

I started 5:2 last Thursday. I've been doing 1200 cals 5 days and 500 on 2. I have lost 2 lbs so far and it has given me a real boost to keep going, although it would be nice if it could be a quicker fix! Keep going and good luck!

wrigglebum Sat 06-Jul-13 07:09:39

Remember that with a lot of diets you lose water or muscle mass, hopefully on 5:2 you are losing fat instead. Imagine a string of 8 sausages around your tummy- that's what you've lost if you've lost a pound smile.

Katnisscupcake Fri 28-Jun-13 19:35:44

Thank you so much, that all makes absolute sense and has made me feel soooo much better! I will definitely hop over to the other thread!

Op a pound a week is fine. I've been doing this since March and have lost only half a pound a week. I could have lost faster but it's been a hugely busy time and I've used food to cope on my non fast days - I don't recommend this but it's just the way it is right now - and yet I am now nearly a stone down. And I know it's not going back on because frankly if I can lose under the current conditions, I can do it forever......! If you see this as a permanent change to how you eat, a pound a week lost is great.

frenchfancy Fri 28-Jun-13 19:06:17

1 lb a week is good and steady. You might lose 4lb in the first week of WW but I'm betting that 6 months later those 4lbs are back with avengence. If you stick with this then that 1lb is gone for good, you will never see it again.

Talkinpeace Fri 28-Jun-13 18:05:55

Katniss
(cool name by the way)
5:2 is a way of life that happens to bring you down to a healthy weight.
Read the tips and hints and then come and pull up a chair in the big thread as there is NO MORE SUPPORTIVE place to be as you start out.

Katnisscupcake Fri 28-Jun-13 13:47:11

I guess because on all the other diets that I've done (weight watchers, slimming world) I've always lost around 4-5 lbs in the first week because of losing water and then it slows down to between 1-2 lbs a week, I expected this diet to do the same. There are quite a few of us doing it and everyone else has lost between 2 and 5 lbs this week, except for me sad.

I will stick to it though because even if I only lose 1lb a week I will have lost nearly 2 stone by xmas I guess!

Trills Fri 28-Jun-13 09:01:30

How much did you expect to lose?

If you just look at calories in/calories out, a 500 calorie day is a deficit of about 1500 calories. two of them is a deficit of 3000 calories. A pound of fat contains around 3000 calories. The maths say you should lose a pound.

Fasting is supposed to have other health benefits too, and it is supposed to be easier than having a 500 calories deficit every single day, but don't think anyone has claimed that it makes you lose weight faster than any other diet.

Katnisscupcake Fri 28-Jun-13 08:41:48

Am I doing something wrong. I was 11 stone on Monday and I've weighed myself this morning and I've only lost 1lb after fasting on Monday and Wednesday. Both days I managed between 400 and 500 calories and below 1800 on the other 2.

Have I weighed too soon? Will I not just put it back on now on the non-fasting days between now and the 1 week mark on Monday?

With weight watchers I would never weigh too soon as it didn't show the true weight loss until the week mark, but as my fasting is already over for this week, I am not going to lose anymore am I, this week?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now