How long have you been fasting and how much weight have you lost?

(89 Posts)
ChocolateBiscuitCake Mon 24-Jun-13 19:40:20

Have done my first fast day today and struggled...was fine until children's tea time and then became like a woman possessed at not being able to pick at their spag Bol! I was grumpy and snappy the rest of the day!

Desperate to lose last stone of baby weight (done 2 already) and need to focus on the task at hand.

Would love to hear the positive outcomes of fasting so far, please smile

casawasa Thu 27-Jun-13 19:07:37

This is my second fast day. My downfall is definitely going to be cooking tea for my ds. I'll need to be smarter on those days and have something I've prepared on a non fast day I think.
Love hearing the success stories - very inspiring!

Prawntoast Thu 27-Jun-13 19:13:50

End of Jan, just over 22lbs - 4 inches off waist, 4.5 off hips and 2 off each thigh. Would like to lose around another 14lbs or so, but this is how I eat now, easiest and most sustained weight loss I've had - just wish I had known about it years ago.

defineme Thu 27-Jun-13 19:21:41

moonimsummermadness unless you're oriental then you're BMI is not supposed to go under 20 -being underweight can have just as serious health implications as being overweight.

babysaurus Thu 27-Jun-13 19:26:52

Want to mark place. Need to lose at least two stone. Managed a week where me and DH fasted for two days then he went away re a job and we got a bit sidetracked (he went to have a meeting about a permanent position and it all got a bit tense / exciting so diets went out the window!)
However, I have a wardrobe full of lovely clothes and they'd look so much better if there was less of me in them! I am going to start on Monday and was considering doing three days, Mon Weds and Friday, for a couple of weeks to get a head start.
Thanks for the inspirational thread!

babysaurus Thu 27-Jun-13 19:31:08

Those who lost inches from their middles, do you think this is partly due to the fasting or do you reckon it would have gone from the same areas even if you were doing WW / Low Carb / whatever...?

ChocolateBiscuitCake Thu 27-Jun-13 19:32:44

Did my second fast day yesterday - was surprisingly fine (definitely need to keep busy so as to not spend the day dreaming of food!).

However, this morning, I woke feeling dizzy and slightly 'out of body'. Haven't really recovered and hoovered a lot of unnecessary food wherever possible.

I take metformin, so suspect my blood sugar is not happy when I wake after a fast day. Anyone else on metformin?

Well done ladies - your results are so motivational!

DoctorRobert Thu 27-Jun-13 21:07:20

I've been doing it 5 weeks and have lost 12lb so far.

I've had a week off this week though - have been sticking to my TDEE each day but no fasts. Going to start again on Monday.

Prawntoast Thu 27-Jun-13 21:10:09

baby, no I don't think it's the way of eating it's just the way I have lost weight. I've gone down reasonably in proportion and have lost all over, it's just easier to measure some parts than others!

babysaurus Thu 27-Jun-13 21:35:32

Ah, ok! Bit of wishful thinking on my part perhaps!

Not sure if I even dare to weigh or measure tbh - it might be just too depressing! I still think I'm a size 12 but occasionally see reflection and realise I look fat instead!

Least this sounds like its easy to do long term. Don't really believe in diets, as such, as think you usually put it back on once you stop but this seems more sustainable.

May have to lurk in these boards a lot though!

xigris Thu 27-Jun-13 21:49:18

Hi everyone, I have a probably stupid question: I'm about 2 stone overweight and really desperate to lose it. I saw the Michael Mosley documentary and thought the 5:2 diet looked great but was preg at the time (hence 2 stone to lose....) DS is now 6 months and doing brilliantly on solids but I am still bf ing him. Do you think it's possible / advisable to do the 5:2 in this situation? Thanks!!

defineme, no, I'm not oriental ,but also not underweight. I would need to lose another 6lb to be underweight, as an underweight BMI is 18.5 or less. I'm healthy, and aiming to maintain at my current BMI of just under 20.

Prawntoast Thu 27-Jun-13 22:06:01

xigris, there are some bfing ladies on the main thread. The theory of 500 cals for women was I think based on 25% of the average woman's daily requirement. If you are bfing you may require a few more cals? Pose the question on the main thread, someone will know the answer.

xigris Fri 28-Jun-13 11:24:58

Thanks prawn I'll do that

elsie07 Sat 29-Jun-13 12:20:34

I've been doing this since Feb and have lost 16lbs. Slow and mostly steady loss with absolutely no desire to stop doing it which for me is the biggest surprise. I started off thinking "i'll give it a month" and now it's 6 months and we'll see. I'd urge anyone not to give up after less than 4 weeks because for most people it gets easier and it's such a shame not to get to the point where you're not struggling with it. I'd hate to have to go back to the beginning again (irritable, cold, blurred vision etc).

PogoBob Sat 29-Jun-13 19:49:52

I'm not doing 5:2 as still breastfeeding 5mo DS full time and 2yo DD twice a day, DD is also a crap sleeper so can't face that few calories.

However I'm doing 18:6. Basically I fast for 18 hours out of each 24 and just eat in a 6 hour window (between 12:30 and 18:30). 16:8 is more common but 8 hours is long enough for me to stuff a little too much!

I don't calorie count in that time as it's pretty difficult to over eat - I do keep a rough eye on the amount of carbs I eat. Also, not drinking alcohol makes a huge saving. I also have Sat off so today will eat between 12:30 and 21:30.

In 2 weeks I've lost 9.5lbs. I have another 2 stones to go so I've the weight to lose, don't expect this rate of loss to continue.

Acinonyx Mon 01-Jul-13 09:38:07

Since Jan - and I've lost 10 lb so slightly less than 0.5 lb/week! I did get a bit fed up - but now that I have dropped a dress size I am happy with it. I'm posting to encourage all those who are also losing v-e-r-y slowly. You have to take the long view. It had become incredibly difficult for me to lose weight and IMO it was because I am perimenopausal. So Iam relieved to find something that works at all - even slowly. Hoping to lose another 6 lb then stay on 6 :1.

I have found it tough and some weeks got fed up with it - but you have to keep your end goal in sight. I am really delighted with the weight loss so far even though it's been so slow.

Im doing my second week, and dare not weight myself as very early days. Im really impressed at all the weight loss people have reported in this thread, its very inspiring. However, I have a couple of questions:

1) Do you take your weight as being that of a fast day or on a NFD?
2) If you've lost loads, are you doing 2 meals or 3 smaller meals a day?

Thanks in advance.

yamsareyammy Mon 01-Jul-13 14:45:04

Acinonyx or someone else. Do you also think that your wieght loss may have been slower, because you didnt have a lot of weight to lose in the first place? Does that make a difference to it.

I forgot I have one further question:

Those that have lost a lot: did you eat as you usually would on NFDs or did you do the calorie-expenditure thingy calculation (sorry, cant think of the abbreviation!).

Thanks

Acinonyx Mon 01-Jul-13 15:47:10

I find my weight varies a lot of the week on this diet. I fast Tue/Thu so the weight I'm really interested in is the Tue morning one - it dips down to Fri morning then back up. But slowly and steadily, each Tue morning goes down - sometimes it takes a couple of weeks to see an overall difference.

I could very comfortably lose another stone but I'll be very happy with another 6 lb. I think for me, the slow loss is due to just 2 things - my age (over 50) and frankly, the amount I eat and drink the rest of the week (especially weekends). But I want to enjoy my weekends so I'll live with it wink.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Mon 01-Jul-13 15:49:16

Since February and I didn't weigh until April... But since then only a few pounds. I think I must be doing it wrong!

happyreindeer Mon 01-Jul-13 16:12:07

I am starting tomorrow/ I will be fasting Tuesday and Saturday. Looking forward to it.

Wingedharpy Tue 02-Jul-13 02:25:38

Been doing it since early January and have lost 2 stones 10 pounds at last weigh in (begining of June). I've dropped 2 dress sizes.
I don't weigh myself at all but get weighed every 12 weeks or so at my Doctor's.
Weight loss would equate to 1 - 2 pounds per week.
Find it easier the longer I do it as it just becomes part of a routine.
I do watch what I eat on non-fast days as, left to my own devices, I would eat everything in the fridge and then shop for more.
I have also taken up daily brisk walking lasting approx 1/2 hour (well - it starts off brisk and ends up a bit of a wander).
I've cut alcohol right down as the problem with it for me, is it lowers blood sugar and makes me feel hungry and also weakens my resolve.
The other good thing about it is if I do have a night out with a lovely meal, too many drinks, and a sticky pudding to follow, there isn't the feeling that "I've blown it now - may as well pack it in and just continue to eat like a horse forever".
My next fast day will compensate.
Keeping busy is the key to an easy fast day.

I weighed myself yesterday and have lost 7lb! I am thrilled. Only done 3 fasts (4th today) so really motivated to continue. I need to lose 10lb to be within healthy bmi, but secretly aiming to lose 15lb to be just under 9st (i am only 5ft). I am particularly pleased as went out for dinner and two lunches last week!

plecofjustice Wed 03-Jul-13 11:52:47

I've been fasting since last September and have lost 8.4 kilos. Not a lot, I know, but I'm borderline hypothyroid and my body clings on to fat like it's in a permenant famine (I actually managed to gain when following Weightwatchers to the letter!) it's really good and I'm extremely pleased.

Most importantly, I'm in control. If I overeat one day, I don't beat myself up about it and, for the first time in a long time, I'm not despairingly watching the scales creap up and up and up, while feeling powerless to do anything about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now