Webchat with Green Party leader Natalie Bennett, TODAY at 1pm x

Fitbit

(21 Posts)
GreenEggsAndNichts Mon 03-Jun-13 15:26:44

Anyone have one of these? I've just started it, am not entirely sure what I'm doing with the 'dashboard' features, but I'm enjoying it so far. I've had a particularly active day, though. Not sure I'll enjoy being told how lazy I am on other days when the weather isn't as nice. smile

I ordered it in the US and had my father bring it over. I'm not sure I'd pay the UK price for it. Tis a nice gadget, though.

Let me know if you're there. I could use a friend or two to compete with!

dlk227 Mon 03-Jun-13 16:13:47

Hi GreenEggs, I've been lurking here for some time, so I feel like I know all of you!

I just got a fitbit flex last week and have linked it to my MFP account. It's still a bit of a novelty but I do think it will help me be more mindful of activity - I had a flight last night and instead of just plopping down at the gate (as I would normally do), I did a few laps of the terminal until my flight boarded.

GreenEggsAndNichts Mon 03-Jun-13 17:26:21

Hiya dlk smile Oh dear, I had no idea it could be linked to an MFP account. I'll have to check that out.

I can see it's going to do the same to me, if I'm honest. I'm just under 10k at the moment, and obviously I can't just leave it like that. I'm going to have to go for a walk this evening to make it all even out!

chutneypig Tue 04-Jun-13 06:58:07

I've had one all this year. I try and improve my average miles over the previous month, it's a good incentive to get out at lunchtime or for an extra walk. I guess you could pick any of the measured steps etc.

I also use the alarm feature and the sleep tracker, I like the graphs on the dashboard. But I'm a nerdy scientist smile

ELR Tue 04-Jun-13 22:12:18

Hi I've been waiting for the flex to launch in the uk and finally it has! I've been on holiday for the last week and only just returned today but will be getting one tomorrow! Will let you know how I get on.

I got the One in April. It's horrifying how little I move some days! On work days it's easier, usually about 7k (laps of the playground when on duty help!), on gym days it's about 16k. I figure it balances out over the week. We live in a three storey house so I always meet the floor target.

Mine is linked to MFP but I don't use the calorie adjustments at all so I'm not sure why I bother confused

chutneypig Wed 05-Jun-13 19:11:46

I've just linked mine to my MFP account. I'm a bit confused as I seem to have a lot more calories left than I thought I would. Fasted for the first time yesterday so I'm just keeping an eye on my intake today.

MsRinky Wed 05-Jun-13 20:12:13

I got the most basic one (zip?) a few weeks ago and it has turned me into a walking freak. I don't log food, floors or sleep or anything, so I suppose it was a pretty expensive pedometer (I bought mine with gift vouchers so told myself it was free) but I really like that it syncs with my ipad and gives me smiley faces <childish>. You can get even more pretty graphs from your data on stepstats.com

I find myself making excuses to get up and get some steps in at every opportunity, and head out even when it's raining - I tell myself that if I had a dog I'd have to go out in the rain and this is my wee pet, like a tamagochi that needs its steps.

Today MrRinky needed the car, and so he dropped me off at work and then I decided to walk the 8 miles home. A month ago I only walked from the door to the car and back most days. If I'd known I'd respond to it so much I would have shelled out ages ago.

kelticwitch Wed 05-Jun-13 20:17:39

I've got the "ultra", this is the version before the "one" but pretty similar and I probably prefer it. I love that it has an altimeter and rarely do I miss my 25 floors climbed badge for the day.

I feel guilty if I have a rubbish day because it's set out before me on my dashboard. I definitely do more exercise because of it.

The wristband one doesn't have the altimeter which is a big negative IMO.

Catbert4pm Thu 06-Jun-13 11:00:39

What's MFP? Thanks.

dlk227 Thu 06-Jun-13 11:15:03

Catbert it's MyFitnessPal

Catbert4pm Thu 06-Jun-13 13:54:58

Thanks dlk, I have a Fitbit but hadn't heard of My Fitness Pal grin

dlk227 Thu 06-Jun-13 14:41:32

Catbert, I find logging in MFP easier than fitbit and food, water, weight all sync to fitbit. I've set my activity level to sedentary and let the daily calorie allowance adjust based on actual fitbit activity.

Greenegg

I have a fit bit and I find if I march on the spot while kettle boiling to the next hundred for example if it 7823 I march until it is 7900 if you do this few times a day it quickly mounts up.

ELR Fri 14-Jun-13 22:34:31

Just got my flex today and so at I love it! Will report back in a few days....

newbiefrugalgal Sat 15-Jun-13 08:11:54

Now I want one!

ELR Sat 15-Jun-13 12:33:44

Buy one its great! But I would say you def need an ipad, iPod or iPhone so it sinks and you can check how you are doing. I would hate to have to turn on the computer to see an update.

FieldsOfCorn Tue 18-Jun-13 23:05:33

I've had mine a week now and have gone walking mad, obsessed with doing over 10,000 steps per day, did 20,000 one day!!

I've linked to mfp which is great. Love the sleep monitor too but keep waking up wondering how it's monitoring me!

How's everyone else getting on?

ELR Tue 18-Jun-13 23:11:38

fields I love it but think I'm eating a bit more but still less than my burn calories! I've linked it to MFP and my ipad. Most steps I've done is 16500

FieldsOfCorn Tue 18-Jun-13 23:21:00

I'm trying really hard not to eat the extra calories it allow me on mfp but I do obsess about all the numbers and can spend ages looking at it all. I would love to get the scales to link with it but at £100 I can't justify it.

GreenEggsAndNichts Wed 19-Jun-13 17:50:22

ooh good to see so many of you. smile

I'm obsessed with walking now, as well. In fact, I'm a bit sad I've got a few things to do around the house as it means I won't log the walking I'd normally do to pick up DS (have sent DH instead).

I think I'm not using it to its full capability but even as just a fancy pedometer, it's much better than my old one. It works very well hooked into my bra, whereas the other one only worked on trousers (which ofc assumes you're wearing them and not a skirt).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now