IF, 4:3, 5:2 - Maintaining a healthy weight - Chapter 2

(985 Posts)
Breadandwine Sat 13-Apr-13 10:44:21

This thread is for those who have been practicing IF (Intermittent Fasting) for quite a while and are now at or nearing their target healthy weight. It's also for anyone who is doing it for the health benefits alone.

How do we experience fasts and balance a stable food intake while having little or no weight to lose?

How do we ensure that this WOL keeps us at the healthy weight long term rather than revert to yoyo games?

Several of us have been stable at our goal weight for a few months, now, and others are joining all the time. Obviously, the more the merrier! grin

Here is the current main thread for posters practicing IF to lose weight.

There are two other associated threads:
This one, which is an absolute goldmine of Tips and Links on how to practice IF, and the research behind it.

And here is a treasure trove of 5:2 recipes, mostly low calorie for fasting days, but there are also recipes for when you want to treat yourself. And, now we're maintaining, we'll need more of these! grin

Talkinpeace Wed 26-Jun-13 15:27:44

AmericasTorturedBrow
Supreme court ruling is out. Have you opened the fizzy?

americas celebrating with you on DOMA decision, although not quite sure whether a full celebration given the no ruling on california?

Talkinpeace Wed 26-Jun-13 21:10:23

ATB
YO! Prop 8 dead as well.
Hope you are wrecking your fast in style grin

spookily quiet on here today, everyone joining ATB in celebrating and hangovers?

Talkinpeace Thu 27-Jun-13 19:27:47

its the long days - everybody is outdoors!

frenchfancy Thu 27-Jun-13 19:56:29

Not outdoors, just working hard.

I found todays fast difficult. I've been uncomfortably hungry all day which is unusual. Hopefully it means my body is fat burning.

AwkwardSquad Thu 27-Jun-13 20:09:01

Not outdoors either, slaving over a hot computer. Today's fast easier than Tuesday's but I am fantasising about tomorrow's breakfast!

How do others deal with fast day saboteurs? I was at work today. Nobody knows that I am doing this WOE, just get on with it quietly. However, it appears that the colleague sitting next to me is a bit of a feeder grin. My team leader had brought in some biscuits- those chunky type of chocolate-coated large cookies. I had already politely declined one. I went to make a drink for everyone, and when I got back to my desk, there was a cookie sitting in front of my keyboard. My colleague had decided that I 'needed' it with my cup of (black) coffee! I had a mild panic inside, she was just being nice, but I didn't want to use 200 of my 500kcal on a flamin' biscuit! I also didn't want to appear weird. In the end, I managed to fob it off onto someone else. Part of the reason I gained weight in the first place was due to the culture of grazing on snacks (plus chippy day, pizza day, samosas for sale etc) at work. Those who I have told about me doing this WOE don't understand why, because I'm already fairly slim.

Advice needed please!!

BsshBossh Thu 27-Jun-13 20:42:48

Not outdoors either, working on something very dull and procrastinating too much by discussing curry on the main thread smile

Talkinpeace Thu 27-Jun-13 20:44:14

One of my office colleagues is a grazer and when I'm out on audit they ALWAYS put a plate of biccies out for me. And it seems rude to refuse.

But I tend to say something along the lines of -
thank you for the biccies but I'm trying to not get an upset tummy by snacking between meals
or (in my case) I don't eat chocolate
or actually I rather overdid it last night so am eating lightly today

yes, they are little white lies, but they might also make others think about whether they need the snacks too.

In one case where they had bought them specially, I brought them home for my teenage gannets

Thanks, TIP, good advice. I managed to talk my way out of taking part in 'chippy day' next week, people just don't seem to understand slim people not wanting to indulge in unhealthy food. These days, even on a NFD, I would rather have one of the delicious Pink Lady apples I've bought, than have something full of empty calories! It's interesting how much my taste buds have changed.

virginposter Thu 27-Jun-13 23:15:31

moomin you could also say that your tummy is a bit upset whenever people insist you partake.
What really annoys me is why we just can't say "no thanks I don't want one” and have our choices accepted for what they are - our choices. Why do we have to make excuses?

frenchfancy Fri 28-Jun-13 06:30:15

I know this is the maintainers thread, and if I am losing I am not stricktly maintaining but - WI this morning, new low of 65kg smile which is 10st 3 soo close to the 10st.

Thanks virgin. I might start saying that too much sugar or fat makes my IBS flare up- that would soon shut them up! grin. You're right, it's our choice what we eat or don't eat!

Frenchfancy, yayyyyy!! Fab!

BsshBossh Fri 28-Jun-13 09:18:03

FF well done!

moomin I usually say "No thanks, can't handle them today." Sufficiently vague and people don't tend to want to probe further!

catsrus Fri 28-Jun-13 09:35:31

My office know I don't have a sweet tooth - which is partly true - I'm not much into cakes and biscuits and the office is obsessed with cake bringing for birthdays. I just say something along the lines of "wouldn't be able to resist a plate of natchos or chips with salt and vinegar but I'm not at all interested in most sweet things"

People seem more willing to accept differences in taste than acts of willpower!

Having said that - last night I got stuck due to trains and ate at a station cafe and found myself having desert .... Tired and trapped .. Didn't even like it much :-( this came after a bit of a disaster when I arrived at the distant office already tired (5am start) so wandered into Pret to get a healthy lunch (mayo free sandwich and fruit salad) and came out with that plus two large pretzels "for breakfast". Once at my hot desk I ate the pretzels swiftly followed by the sandwich all before 10am blush lunch was the remaining fruit salad.

And yes - it was going to be a fast day! Daft really as I know tiredness is the killer of fasts for me and I'd stayed up too late the night before.

Anglaise1 Fri 28-Jun-13 12:27:58

Frenchfancy Well done! It will be great morale boost if you can get below that 10 stone mark (even if you don't need to!)
It must be difficult working in an environment with other people to fast (especially if other people don't know what you are doing). I work on my own at home or teaching and sometimes have lunch with friends but otherwise fasting is very easy.
Saying that, I failed in my second fast yesterdaysad and although I've eaten just salad every evening and no lunch, I've also been snacking on crisps which is very bad. But my weight is OK at 57kgs so I don't have the motivation to do 2 fasts in a week now. I'll try again on Monday!

Talkinpeace Fri 28-Jun-13 13:03:05

OK, how did that happen?
hopped on the scales as normal this morning and I've lost three pounds this week .... so just had a pate and lettuce sandwich to compensate !

BsshBossh Fri 28-Jun-13 14:21:09

Hope that was a pleasant surprise TiP smile

I've lost 0.6 lb this week. Happy with that as TOM and no-exercise-glued-to-my-desk week.

AwkwardSquad Fri 28-Jun-13 17:41:58

I weighed myself this morning and have dipped below 9st. So I have made a huge lasagne for tonight grin.

Talkinpeace Fri 28-Jun-13 17:56:27

Its funny, I've been fasting so long that my appetite has definitely dropped. I've not been trying to lose weight over the last three months of work, just not put it on. Maybe I need to go back to bigger lunches!
8 1/2 stone would be interesting, but I have several friends who have lost too much weight ... I'll make a point of eating and drinking too much this weekend!

I'm just lurking as this week has gone to pot, celebrations obviously on Wednesday, friend staying and I'm now fighting off a cold (in 31degreea of sunshine FFS)....another friend arriving on Monday but I'm getting back on it on Sunday Wyeth 4:3 otherwise there will always be an excuse

Talkinpeace Fri 28-Jun-13 23:20:13

ATB : a chunk of my family are santa cruz / stanford / la jolla
: I get
and the looking fab will work out

mummyof2girlsx Sat 29-Jun-13 16:16:24

Good afternoon, just been catching up on the thread and can totally relate to the office treats situation Moominsummermadness In my office there are always biscuits/sweets/cakes/crisps for someones birthday or 'Friday treats' etc and as I usually fast on my working days I am running out of excuses to say no!
Still maintaining and am currently using TIPs method of 2 Fast days per week, 3 days of careful eating and then drinking lots of wine and eating yummy food being more relaxed at weekends grin
Looking forward to curry and wine tonight!
Hope everyone enjoys their weekend smile

Back on the IF plan of several weeks not paying any attention at all, not enjoying how I look and feel at the moment so very much looking forward to regaining some control!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now