IF, 4:3, 5:2 - Maintaining a healthy weight - Chapter 2

(985 Posts)
Breadandwine Sat 13-Apr-13 10:44:21

This thread is for those who have been practicing IF (Intermittent Fasting) for quite a while and are now at or nearing their target healthy weight. It's also for anyone who is doing it for the health benefits alone.

How do we experience fasts and balance a stable food intake while having little or no weight to lose?

How do we ensure that this WOL keeps us at the healthy weight long term rather than revert to yoyo games?

Several of us have been stable at our goal weight for a few months, now, and others are joining all the time. Obviously, the more the merrier! grin

Here is the current main thread for posters practicing IF to lose weight.

There are two other associated threads:
This one, which is an absolute goldmine of Tips and Links on how to practice IF, and the research behind it.

And here is a treasure trove of 5:2 recipes, mostly low calorie for fasting days, but there are also recipes for when you want to treat yourself. And, now we're maintaining, we'll need more of these! grin

Breadandwine Tue 11-Jun-13 07:55:52

Guess it's the anti-climax, ATB. Reward yourself with some nice treats - choccies, etc Put your feet up and have a good rest, if you can! grin

Look forward to the pics!

Lovely pics Laska smile

Not surprising how you feel ATB . That whole experience must have been pretty significant and the bonds made strong, so being removed from all of that will obviously feel like a loss. Don't worry the daily dredge of real life will soon take over, and things will get back to normal.......... and there's always next year to look forward to grin.

MOCNK you'd think so wouldn't you but my eating on the other 5 days seems somewhat out of control at the mo and despite cycling 30 to 40 miles 5 or 6 days a week and fasting mostly 2 days a week my 'spare tyre' seems to be slowly inflating sad I'm not quite back to my profile photo on here but 3 days Fasting is definitely what I need at the moment. Especially if I want to continue eating all the great food I'm currently eating, sadly B&W is correct when he says 'you can eat anything you want on non-fasting days but not everything you want' if you know what I mean!

Still, I'm not overly concerned I'm still around 60lbs lower than I was at the beginning of 2012 and have got plenty of time to get things right over the summer......Summer Fast days seem easier to me, does the same go for others?

Have a fantastic day all. A fasting one for me so about to get out on the bike (ah the benefits of working only part time and being self employed smile)

BsshBossh Tue 11-Jun-13 11:54:30

Well done ATB! Amazing achievement.

Laska what a cutie pie your grandson is smile.

laska definitley a super cute and smiley grandson, how lovely x

americas post climactic horribleness! can you refocus on some new-home task to distract you? sounds like a new project is required!

catsrus Wed 12-Jun-13 16:18:15

Hi all

Just a quick place marking! have been hols in that Europe grin and only put on 1lb despite lovely food and lots of wine. Did lots of walking, didn't book breakfast in the hotel and often skipped lunch. Perfect and very easy. by the time I left one of the other friends with me was also fasting smile.

I celebrated not putting on weight with 2 pig out days when I got back - as you do confused which shot the weight up a few pounds, then one failed fast day (colleague had brought Devon fudge back from HER hols blush) followed by (touch wood) a couple of good fasting days. Am away again this weekend so want to get back to my fighting weight in order to enjoy the party I'm off to!

will try to catch up with posts once my feet are touching the ground!

Breadandwine Wed 12-Jun-13 20:38:00

Perhaps we'd better start a 'Party Animals' thread! grin

Talkinpeace Wed 12-Jun-13 21:07:57

B&W
But isn't that absolutely the point.
I've not eaten much during the day but then had a lovely supper with DH this evening.
Its about making food part of the sociable pleasure cycle rather than a guilt think
and yes, party animals R us :-)

Laska42 Wed 12-Jun-13 21:53:57

Its no good .... I have to confess.... Right I feel like I am an utter fraud being on this maintenance thread .. I've completely lost it.. wine, cheese , curry, tortilla chips, ice cream, barbecue , tons of bread and potatoes . You name it i've eaten or drank it .... I'm even back craving fags again ..

I'm going on my annual holiday to Greece next week and while I'm still 5lbs ish off 10st (it goes up and down lowest i've been for the last week was 10. 2 ) ,and despite having followed this WOE so successfully I'm just failing..

Is it the pre holiday 'sod it' moment ..??

I've always found summer difficult for 'dieting'.. all the lovely fruit, salads , barbecues , breads , new pots, cheese, quiche chilled white wine.. All my favourites .. so much easier in the winter when i can live off veggies and soup

I start off every saying I'm going to fast , and by 10 am I'm in the fridge.. sad blush..

Help!! (and sorry)!

Talkinpeace Wed 12-Jun-13 22:04:43

((((Laska)))))
try to do mini fasts
liquid breakfast and then carrots for lunch and then arelaxed supper
and try to low carb / low booze during the week
it IS worth it.
And you know you can restart and day.

PS forgetting to shop really helps grin

Laska42 Wed 12-Jun-13 22:30:15

Yeah.. I do usually do Low carb/ no booze during the week but the Pinot Grigio ambushed me earlier on this evening..

Its party time here this weekend also ..IOW festival , so lots of revellers around and is sort of infectious even though its utterly nissing down and I'm not going.. (dont fancy camping in a muddy field when i have a lovely bed/shower/loo here and can watch it on the internet. Or better still, the DVD of the one with Jimi Hendrix when he was on the farm just down the road from here .. ..

Anyway , having downed the whole bottle plus quite a lot of cheese this evening shock I'm now going to bed....and definitely not taking breakfast /lunch/my purse into work with me tomorrow..

Breadandwine Wed 12-Jun-13 23:32:25

Tip's right, Laska, daily mini-fasts are in order when things go awry like that.

I'm off on our 6-monthly walk/eat/drink all you want this weekend and I was thinking about a couple of mini-fasts beforehand. But some of you may remember my heavy weekend last November when I put on 4lbs - only to lose it all by my second fast of the week on Wednesday.

So I will see what the damage is next Monday and act accordingly.

Back to your temporary problem, Laska, what works for me, sometimes, is to say, "OK, I'll have that carrot cake* or whatever, but I won't have it until I've___ (fill in the blanks - but make sure that task lasts at least 20 minutes).

*I mentioned carrot cake because I have one sitting by my left elbow - untouched!

And it'll stay untouched because I've imposed a NES** regime on myself - which I've only broken once since I began it a fortnight ago. Every evening I don't snack makes the next one that bit easier. [halo]

**No Evening Snacking = nothing after the evening meal.

I have a thought I'd like to run past you guys. The last few days my belt has been a bit loose - and I've had to check I'm on my last notch. I've been able to pull about 4-5 inches of spare belt through for a while, now, before settling back on that notch. I'm not losing weight - if I do go down another notch, would that be a NSV? grin

Breadandwine Thu 13-Jun-13 01:57:48

Just one more thing, Laska.

Be aware that if you have just one nibble in the morning - that's possibly you gone for the rest of the day.

SO DON'T TAKE THAT FIRST BITE!

Think of how proud Marcus is going to be of his lovely grandmother! smile

Anglaise1 Thu 13-Jun-13 07:45:40

I haven't fasted this week, but still haven't got much of an appetite so am sticking at 56kgs.
I have a question regarding 16:8 instead of 5:2. Do you need to watch what you eat in the 8 hour window if you want to maintain? Is it more effective than 6:1? Do you really get the additional benefits of fasting for just 16 hours as opposed to 24 which is what I usually do on a fast day?
TIP PS forgetting to shop really helps grin
Couldn't agree more - I spend so much less on food now although the kids don't have a very varied diet now. But at least the school dinners here are good!

BsshBossh Thu 13-Jun-13 07:57:44

Laska skip a few meals here and there throughout the week until festivities settle down. I've had to do that since last Thursday due to birthday weekend and houseguests. No proper fasting this week but have been doing 16:8 and meal skipping which has helped and enabled me to tuck into goodies without guilt (and avoid binging).

BsshBossh Thu 13-Jun-13 08:02:30

Anglaise my reading around fasting suggests 16 hours complete fast is great for health benefits and encourages the body to burn through its glycogen and then fat stores. I've been using it to maintain whenever I can't manage a 24 hour fast and in fact my jeans post-goal weight are now loose so it must be working (along with no snacking) weight-wise. I don't overeat during my 8 hour window as I like to indulge on the weekends grin.

I find intermittent fasting to be incredibly flexible. Some weeks I do 5:2, some I do 6:1, some I do 16:8, some basic meal skipping... and a combination of them and I'm still maintaining.

Morning Laska What's all this fraud talk, look at the evidence you're a winner not a fraud with everything you've achieved healthwise with this WOE over the past year smile

I know where you're coming from with the failed fasts and feeling like the eating patterns are not how you'd like them to be. But that's basically unavoidable given that we live in a society where cheap, tasty food is everywhere and we've had years of teaching ourselves how to eat unhealthily. Is it any surprise that our bodies will take a couple of years to adapt.

I've come to the conclusion that this whole WOE is down to mindset and nothing else. When do I feel hungriest, on a Fasting day or a Non-Fasting day, for me almost always on a Non-Fasting day. Sunday's and Tuesdays seem pretty easy at the moment for me to Fast but I really need to be Fasting on a third day as well and every week ear mark Thursday. But every Thursday things go pear shaped really early on. All down to my state of mind and the mind games I'm currently playing with myself. But then Sunday comes round again and it's a breeze (^relatively speaking^)

One of the great things though about being at this stage of this WOE/WOL is that we've all learned plenty of tricks and tools to help us succeed. All of us have been in the situation where we've taken a dodgy turn and the last Fast seems a long way off BUT we all know we can get back on and feel GOOD again and pretty quickly....one successful Fast is all it takes. Chose a day where circumstances will help you achieve that first Fast set yourself in a POSITIVE frame of mind and go and do it. You KNOW that when you've got only half way through the day that you'll KNOW that you'll achieve success that day.

Don't worry about what will happen after the first Fast, just get the first day in and then go from there smile

Life is long and we all have setbacks but there's always tomorrow when we can take control and put things right and forget ALL about yesterday.

Anglaise1 Thu 13-Jun-13 08:44:06

BsshBossh Thanks for your post - so just to confirm you don't do any days with just 500 cals now, you just eat (but not over eat) in the 8 hour window? I might give that a try instead of the 24 hour fasts, although I do like my breakfast and find it easier to skip lunch...which is a problem for 16:8.

BsshBossh Thu 13-Jun-13 12:11:06

Anglaise1 I don't stick to a single form of intermittent fasting these days. I'm rather fickle like that. Some weeks I do a 24 hour 500 cal fast, other weeks I do a series of mini fasts, yet other weeks I do 16:8 on weekdays only, and sometimes I mix them all up in the same week!

It's working though as not only am I maintaining, I may even still be losing (I no longer weigh myself) as my recent pair of jeans bought when I reached goal weight are now loose and belt has gone in another notch. I have ramped up my weight training so I suspect that has had an impact on my body.

Anyway, to return to your question: when doing 16:8 I only eat between 2-10pm (so lunch and dinner), only on weekdays, and a little under TDEE (so I can go over TDEE on weekends). But otherwise, no drastic calorie restriction.

BsshBossh Thu 13-Jun-13 12:49:36

Anglaise1 there's an active 16:8 thread on the 5:2 Fast Diet Forum:
www.52fastdiet.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5557

laska you are not a fraud at all, you have successfully through fasting lost lots of weight and kept it off for ages, maintaining is going to be the trickiest part for all of us long term and I seem to remember that you kept lowering your target weight anyway, so there must be room for a 5 pound + or - ?

I am struggling the same as you at the moment, not managing to fast, seem to be eating lots of biscuits, can't seem to retain the willpower needed and more often just say "sod it" but know that once I get back in the zone it will be ok, and I am skipping meals more often, just not managing full fasts.

good luck, hope you get back in the zone soon, I know you will, as will I.

Adding my voice to the masses, no frauds or failures allowed on IF Laska, that's the point isn't it?

I'll be doing my first fast since the ride today and my sod it brain decided I needed to make up for it in advance yesterday by eating everything in sight! Trial an error - I'm yet to achieve my ideal weight, seem to be within 4lbs of it then "fail" fasts for a week or two, bounce around 6/7lbs above target weight so in theory I shouldn't be on the maintenance thread either really.

Agree with B&W about that first bite of the morning though, I do so much better if I mange to wait til lunch, fast day or NFD. Going to give his "no snacking after dinner" rule a go too if you want to join me?

Anglaise1 Thu 13-Jun-13 18:31:15

BsshBossh thanks for all the info. I think I'll do as you and vary things. Sometimes I like the discipline of doing a 24 hour 500 cal day. I like breakfast too, but maybe I could just have my toast or brioche for lunch instead. I'm so used to missing meals now that it shouldn't be a problem either way. I use the 5:2 forum but just ended up getting confused as there are so many threads on 16:8 now and maybe I'm wrong but few peeople seem to lose weight on it compared to 5:2.

Talkinpeace Thu 13-Jun-13 19:55:06

Aaaah, feeling better now.
Had to work today and had the choice of swim before or after.
Decided to swim after - fasting day - and it was lovely and sunny.
I've now had a mahoosive bowl of soup and a small roll and am utterly stuffed.
Pizza tomorrow.

Anglaise
I've found that eating once a day - with lashings of tea in between - suits me on non gym days.
On non fast gym days I have lunch and supper.

Mintyy Thu 13-Jun-13 20:04:40

Hi chaps and chappesses. Just thought I'd look in and update.

Started 5:2 on 01/09/12. Am not going to post my actual weight but let's imagine it was 150.

By just before Christmas I was down to 145.

Had two weeks off at Christmas.

Stuck to 5:2 for the whole of January to "make up" for Christmas, and was 145 again by end of January.

Have done 2 days fasting for most weeks since 1st February. Took a week or 10 days off at Easter. Let's say since 1st February I have had 2 weeks where I've only done 1 days fasting, 1-2 weeks where I have done ), all the rest I have done 2.

Weighed myself last week, after 4 solid weeks of 5:2:

Was at 150.

Yes, indeedy, you read that right grin.

I have been 5:2 ing for 9 months and my net loss is ZERO.

So, I am giving up now (fuck the other health benefits) and heading over to Slimming World instead.

But Dh has lost 2.5 stone in the same time, so it has been worthwhile in our household in some respects!

All my very best wishes to the rest of you smile

Mintyy X

Talkinpeace Thu 13-Jun-13 20:11:45

Hi Mintyy Fair play to you. Did the Doctor ever get any joy on thyroid / endocrine tests? Let us know if SW cracks it for you : at least with the fasting you'll have reduced your diabetes risk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now