IF, 4:3, 5:2 - Maintaining a healthy weight - Chapter 2

(985 Posts)
Breadandwine Sat 13-Apr-13 10:44:21

This thread is for those who have been practicing IF (Intermittent Fasting) for quite a while and are now at or nearing their target healthy weight. It's also for anyone who is doing it for the health benefits alone.

How do we experience fasts and balance a stable food intake while having little or no weight to lose?

How do we ensure that this WOL keeps us at the healthy weight long term rather than revert to yoyo games?

Several of us have been stable at our goal weight for a few months, now, and others are joining all the time. Obviously, the more the merrier! grin

Here is the current main thread for posters practicing IF to lose weight.

There are two other associated threads:
This one, which is an absolute goldmine of Tips and Links on how to practice IF, and the research behind it.

And here is a treasure trove of 5:2 recipes, mostly low calorie for fasting days, but there are also recipes for when you want to treat yourself. And, now we're maintaining, we'll need more of these! grin

NSV ALERT!! Bought some American eagle US size 4 jeans off eBay that I was aiming to get into by my birthday (10days time), I tried them today to see how close I am and they fit!

I'm weighing in at 133lbs but am slimmer than I was a month ago so kind of maintaining now I suppose, except the muffin tops still prevail - but I think I just need to exercise those away. Also I've not been drinking alcohol the last 2 weeks and I have a week of birthday celebrations ahead so they might be tight again by the weekend, but then it's 3 weeks til the mammoth bike ride I'm doing for charity so will be focussing on that.

But yay!!!

catsrus Fri 03-May-13 07:26:48

Yay indeed ATB well done!

Piebaldrider Fri 03-May-13 07:42:03

Hello one and all , yes its me i have pulled my head out from the sand and found you all still here. I am very impressed and excited to see the same people still hanging in there together. Its been quite a long time since i managed to get here and much has happened.

I lost weight easily and at times it felt like i was losing weight but shouldn't be as i was eating or more likely drinking far more than i should. I started to worry because at the same time my physio kept asking if i was losing weight unexpectedly. Over a few weeks i convinced myself i had something wrong with me and that was why i was losing weight. I decided to stop fasting and see what happened and for the next couple of weeks i still lost weight and then i was really worried. My physio ended and my leg pains disappeared and there didn't seem to be much wrong with me. I continued to do a little at the gym 3 times a week and my weight fluctuated a kilo up and down but not much more than that. The weather was unpleasant and i manged to get a couple of nasty viruses and didn't start fasting gain. My daughter then went into hospital and my 2 year old Granddaughter came to stay so again no fasting. During all this time many people have asked me about fasting and one lady at work has now lost two stone and is still going strong, i always mention the site but i don't know know if they drop by .

I then decide its time to start again as i still have two stone to go but after a period of not fasting i cant believe how hard it is to actually start again. When i first started it was so easy but now it is really weird and i make excuses not to get going. I wonder if its because i am so much happier than i was before and i am not in such bad shape i am not so motivated.
I went away at the weekend to a very big work do and parts of it were very dressy. The group i was with were young and slim and i realised
i was kidding myself if i thought i was ok at this weight so i hope it is a bit of a kick start . I also have to say that when i stopped fasting i did start to pick up the wine bottle more so much so that like many people its now a a daily habit again and it scares me that i can crave the wine more than the weight loss . I'm hoping that by being a bit open and sharing this with you it will change my behavior and the desire to fast will be the stronger one again.

So what else is new , i have been going around for months now with various shades of red in my hair and people just accept that one day im bright red the next im nearer plum. As part of my continuing desire to change my image and get back to my fasting i have done something else and as result i have put on a little weight but not from weight gain!

I have had extensions into my hair, the top colour is a darkish brown but underneath is a deep red and when i have it lose the red all comes through the bottom as it quite pleasing. The jury is out on if its nice or not , some like it some just say ooh that's different and im not sure i should have long hair at 53 . i will get a picture and post it for fun as that's why i did it and it matters not what people think . I still have that strong desire to be the new transformed person emerging from the chrysalis that started when i was fasting and my personality started to change. That bit of me has remained and while i still have it i know i can get back to where i need to be and take control not just of my weight but of other issues that are trying to stop me.

I have much catching up to do so im off to read as much as i can of what i have missed.

Have a great day and im sorry for the long post but i needed to get it out there.

love and light to you all

ellenbrody Fri 03-May-13 07:54:37

ATP well done! Is a USA size 4, a size 8 here?

I've just stirred up a hornets nest <evil cackle> on another forum I use by daring to suggest that breakfast is NOT the 'most important meal of the day'. Apparently I'm most mistaken grin

BsshBossh Fri 03-May-13 08:26:07

Well done America, NSVs are the best.

Welcome back Pie, nice to meet you.

ellen you go girl! You can stir on my behalf too.

Another zero calorie 36 hour fast under my belt. Now begins a good few days of enjoyable eating.

Fillybuster Fri 03-May-13 09:32:14

<waves>

Been lurking but never quite manage to post at the moment.

Welcome newbies smile

Congrats ATB

How's the house MOCNK?

Continually inspired by TiP, Laska and B&W, despite no time to actually cook...

But the scales said 9.3.8 this morning. And yesterday morning...and yesterday was pre-fast after 3 days of crap food and too much sugar whilst running a huge industry event.

Interestingly, I'm finding (for the first time in my life) that I stop eating either when I'm full, or if I don't really like the food, even if I'm in a restaurant. Whilst in the past I would always automatically finish what was on my plate.

I actually can't believe the change in 3.5 months....after 2 years of utterly failing to achieve anything this way exceeds my expectations!

catsrus Fri 03-May-13 10:39:57

Hi again filly - yes, the not eating when you don't really like the food is interesting isn't it? I was at a work lunch and they had pavlova - which I love - but it just didn't look very nice (I'm a bit of a meringue expert blush) so I just didn't have any but did have a wonderful selection of the cheeses - def not lower in calories but better for me AND i really enjoyed it.

Note to anyone with a wardrobe full of clothes bought during thinner times - keep trying them on! I've just discovered some lovely monsoon linen trousers... now actually a bit too big <yeah me!> but fine with a belt.

I'm now a size smaller than any of the clothes that were inspiring me to lose weight back in August grin. Having always had a wardrobe with the emergency 'fat' outfits I am now trying to convince myself that this time I really can let them go to the charity shop - this time I know how to keep it off - bit scary though confused

catsrus Fri 03-May-13 10:49:37

welcome back piebaldrider grin I too am considering some nice plum coloured hair - but mine is grey, and I like it grey, so it's a question of finding something that works with the grey to give the odd splash of colour!

virginposter Fri 03-May-13 14:34:04

Just listening to the afternoon play on Radio 4 whilst cleaning. One man asks the other "what diet are you on, I'm on the 5:2"
Wow!

Talkinpeace Fri 03-May-13 17:48:51

virginposter
cool - we are the mainstream!

Weighed in this morning : spot on 9 stone but feeling really flabby.
Then again I know that if I can hold at 9 stone while working I can get down to 8:8 by the end of term which would be excellent.

ATB dropping a jeans size is SUCH fun
piebald welcome bash : yup, this is our quiet little corner but a fast shared is a fast whooshed through.

Bordercollielover Fri 03-May-13 19:21:11

Hi Piebald. I found it all relatively easy too until February 11th when I had a lot of foot surgery and was confined to a wheelchair for weeks. I am still only walking on crutches and have found fasting almost impossible. Being at home without much purpose hasn't helped. I also have a good 2 stone left to lose but am finding that even when I manage to fast, I am not seeing much weightloss and in fact feel fatter again. That's probably down to the bad carb habits I have rediscovered over the past 3 months, causing water to be stored with the fat.
I will have a more determined go, and may try ADF for a week or two to see if that helps.
Good luck, I hope you get back into it after your fantastic success last year.

Talkinpeace Fri 03-May-13 20:08:03

BCL
interesting thing about middle aged women and the NHS.
My standin teacher today had knee surgery a few weeks back : they are geared up to her being 'middle aged' - rather than teaching spin and pump and attack - just because she is 45
my chum who broker her pelvis at 58 has had HUGE problems getting her yoga and swimming habits through to the medics!

frenchfancy Fri 03-May-13 20:17:33

Hi piebaldgood to hear feim you again.

yey for amarica and your NSV. I really need to go jean shopping. Mine are held up with a belt on the last notch and look a bit like clown trousers. I have bought new clothes but haven't yet found that elusive pair of perfect jeans.

I've had a crazy week this week getting our project finished. Tried to fast yesterday but realised that tiredness and hunger are not a good combination when you are working flat out so I gave in and had toast. I probably didn't go much over 1000 though and I must have burned way over 3000. WI this morning and I am 1lb below ideal.

Project was delivered on time and now have wine and I intend to habe some more this WE just as soon as I habe caught up on my sleep.

frenchfancy Fri 03-May-13 20:18:24

How did from become feim confused ?

welcome back piebald....a few of us were "failing" for a while, Cyclicist and I both struggled to get back into it but are now doing well again

catsrus I'm exactly the same - I actually don't really have anything in the wardrobe now that isn't too big so need to go shopping and get some dresses taken in but only a house move is really giving me the incentive to get rid of the old fat clothes, I don't want to cart more stuff than we need.

Funny - I'm thinking of going red too....

ff I now feel like I can go proper jeans shopping, til now I've bought them off ebay and the new size 4's (yup, UK size 8) fit but aren;t the best shape for me....yay to shopping! Although boo because I also need new bras thanks to boobs shrinking (and probably a bit of back fat though...every cloud)

frenchfancy Sat 04-May-13 08:59:49

New bras needed here too. Whilst I like shopping, jean shopping and bra shopping I always find disappointing. Last time I went bra shopping I spent £35 on a bra because the lady in the shop said it was a good fit even though I knew in my heart it wasn't. I've worn it twice and now I know it is too big sad

BsshBossh Sat 04-May-13 09:24:49

I had to go bra shopping recently too. Gone down a bra size but up a cup size. Strange.

I hate my boobs now - the damage of pregnancy and child birth has been done. Thankfully the last time I went bra shipping I bought cheapie ones as even though I hadn't bf in 6 months a friend said they were likely to change again, and of course losing weight has made them smaller too. They've been a real incentive to lose weight, now that they're not as big I would look rather unbalanced with a lot of weight on, and as I've discovered I'm actually quite small framed at least my boobs don't feel as depressing.

But I miss my firm 34DD's

Talkinpeace Sat 04-May-13 22:36:37

Boobs : more than a handful is a waste .... lots of upper body yoga and they perk back up (a bit)

BsshBossh Sat 04-May-13 23:10:15

<Bssh frantically Googles "upper body yoga">

ellenbrody Sun 05-May-13 07:19:53

(Sadly reminisces about having boobs) Why are they always the first thing to go on me? Not bum fat, not the damn muffin top or the bingo wings? It's the bloody boobies!! I've succumbed to the gel filled ones to boost my measly A cups (was D's before kids - damn them).

Right, enough about boobs, it's too early in the morning grin. It's lovely to catch up, I had bit of a falling off the wagon week too. I didn't manage one proper fast. I did do 3x 16:8 though and managed to maintain my weight which is good.

I normally fast on a Monday, but with the bank holiday, I'll do one on Tues instead and then a mini one on Thurs - well, that's the plan anyway.

Have a good weekend everyone.

BetsyBell Sun 05-May-13 09:21:31

Boobs! I only have them when I'm very overweight, pregnant or breastfeeding, I don't miss them but I'm not delighted with their current empty state. My stomach looks worse though, stretch marks ahoy makes for a puckered deflated bag effect. All is well in undies though and DH is happy whatever! I must admit I'm only buying very cheap clothes at the moment (having had to get rid of almost everything - including all the stuff I'd been hoarding from my slim days which are now too big grin) as body shape is still changing.

I am currently prepping some very delicious foods for an indulgent Sunday lunch later - NOT a fast day smile, nor tomorrow as I'll be on a beach eating fish and chips... So Tuesday is the next one, I'll need it.

We're moving house so I have an extra excuse to get rid of all the old big clothes - but think I want to maintain for a while before investing in a full new wardrobe so think I'll raid our local charity shops, eBay and old navy for now, at least for a pair of shorts!

BsshBossh Sun 05-May-13 18:06:35

Another Tuesday faster here too this week. So far have eaten in quite a balanced way (not too much, under TDEE) this weekend but it's a good thing because I ate double my TDEE on Friday then discovered TOM had arrived. Had gone a lb under my goal at Friday's weigh in but that's fine - I've realised I can safely lose another 5lbs or more to give me wiggle room for the inevitable weight bounces that are normal.

Talkinpeace Sun 05-May-13 18:22:38

Charity shops are your friend
I'm now UK size 8/10 : go to a posh town and hit them Charity shops - lots of rich bitches giving away what they deluded themselves they could wear! : next, armani, d&G, karen millen, jaeger all at under £5 an item

underwear : I'm a Sloggi person but wait till the boxes damaged reduced prices as they will last years once I have them

and yes, get rid of all but one set of old clothes - you NEED a saturday morning slouch set !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now