5:2 Diet Thread! Number 9, welcoming the new year...

(1000 Posts)
GreenEggsAndNichts Thu 10-Jan-13 00:14:08

The continuing thread for those of us following either the 5:2 diet or the alternate-day fasting diet. Both are two versions of Intermittent Fasting, which you can read more about here.

The 5:2 diet was featured on Horizon in August 2012, and essentially requires you to fast for 2 non-consecutive days per week. The other 5 days, you can eat what you like. Alternate-day fasting is just how it sounds; you fast every other day. By "fasting", we mean that we keep our calorie consumption very low, around 500 calories on average, on those days.

I know a number of people lurk on this thread, as this is currently quite popular. Please just jump in and post if you're new- we won't bite. Well, maybe on a fast day. wink You'll find a lot of support here.

Here is a list of links to get you started with this way of eating. Please let us know if you find a new article or some other information online:

First things first, here are links to some of our previous threads: most recent one before that another one etc!

Another thread which breadandwine has started is a good resource for some of the links and tips that get lost in these big threads. In addition to sharing links, we try to condense some of our top tips for fasting there. Keep in mind, we all do this differently, so these are just tips, not rules. This might be a good place to catch up with us if you're feeling a bit lost!

frenchfancy has a recipe thread over here, please post any low-calorie recipes there so they don't get lost in these bigger threads!

Here is the link to the BBC article regarding Michael Mosley's findings, which was featured on Horizon.

B&W has found a new link to the aforementioned Horizon programme here. If you're keen to see it, watch it soon, because BBC has been quick to find these copies and shut them down online. We're hoping they'll re-play it again soon. I know these threads are popular, maybe they'll read my request. wink

A blog post here gives some of the scientific explanation for why this way of eating helps you to not only lose weight, but improve your all-around health.

A Telegraph article which comments on the diet and gives a brief overview.

A study discussed here gives commentary specifically addressing the effect of this diet on obese people (both men and women), with regard to both health and weight loss. ("After 8 weeks of treatment, participants had an average 12.5 lbs reduction in body weight and a 4 cm decrease in waist circumference. Total fat mass declined by about 12 lbs while lean body mass remained relatively constant.) it also mentions "Plasma adiponectin, a protein hormone that is elevated in obesity and associated with heart disease, dropped by 30%. As did LDL cholesterol (25%) and triglycerides (32%).")

Important link if you are currently your ideal BMI: this appears to suggest the benefits for women at a lower BMI might not be seeing the same health benefits that are found on men at their ideal BMI.

And for those already fasting, here is a link to 100 snacks under 100 calories. We tend to favour lots of hot drinks during the day (count your milk if you use it!)

Another food link, here is a link to the BBC Good Food site, with a list of low-calorie soups.

We mentioned BMR and TDEE often. Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) quantifies the number of calories you burn in a day. This measure is best estimated by scaling your Basal Metabolic Rate to your level of activity. TDEE is critical in tailoring your nutrition plan to desired fitness goals. Here is a link to a calculator to help you figure out how many calories you should be eating in a day. (This is a new calculator to previous threads, this one seems to give me approximately the same results the last one did, but without the virus warnings on my browser!)

A BIG THANK YOU to all who have been contributing, btw. Most of us are learning this way of eating as we go along. All of the links above have been posted by others in our previous threads, and they've been very helpful. Sorry if I haven't given credit where it's due, but it was just enough of a job getting all the links re-copied and back into one post.

Come join us, and tell us about your experiences with this diet!

Ezzza Fri 01-Feb-13 05:59:48

THREAD CLOSED

Mumsnet threads have a maximum number of posts which is 1000. As this discussion is so popular it has continued over many new threads.

If you would like to continue reading the discussion, here is a link to thread 10.

If you’d like to read the discussion from the beginning here’s a link to thread number 1.

If you would like to jump in and join the conversation we'd love to hear from you. Please join us on the latest thread to post your comments. As I'm posting this, the latest thread is number 11 which you can find here.

We soon outgrow the threads, but there's always a link to the next thread near the end of the previous one so come and join us!

THREAD CLOSED

Ezzza Fri 01-Feb-13 05:58:37

THREAD CLOSED

wildwater Wed 30-Jan-13 22:47:44

Whoops - sorry! - just read the last post above mine and it seems to have answered my question. Thanks anyway...

wildwater Wed 30-Jan-13 22:46:18

Help! I am lost in how to follow the different links...have posted two messages so far but cannot find them again.

Can anybody tell me how to get back to a link I have been on previously? For instance, I read that the latest link is #11, but can't figure out how to get there (unless it's just page #11. ??) Is it possible to input your username, so you can find where you were? Thanks so much.

Ezzza Tue 29-Jan-13 14:18:21

THREAD CLOSED

Mumsnet threads have a maximum number of posts which is 1000. As this discussion is so popular it has continued over many new threads.

If you would like to continue reading the discussion, here is a link to thread 10.

If you’d like to read the discussion from the beginning here’s a link to thread number 1.

If you would like to jump in and join the conversation we'd love to hear from you. Please join us on the latest thread to post your comments. As I'm posting this, the latest thread is number 11 which you can find here.

We soon outgrow the threads, but there's always a link to the next thread in the previous one so come and join us!

THREAD CLOSED

Slimmerin2013 Mon 28-Jan-13 10:56:53

Hi Everyone!!
Ok, so I tried ADF for a couple of weeks in November, and have tried to do it for a week this year. However the fasting days are really hard for me, and I have discovered that I cannot fast on weekends, with 4 children and HUGE family meals, it is too difficult for a girl with absolutely NO willpower! blush sad So I have decided to go for the 5:2, fasting on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and going to the gym Monday Wednesday and Friday. This leaves me with my weekends free from excercise and food restrictions. I really need some moral support because I have come to the conclusion that I am sick of being overweight, and sick of feeling unattractive in my clothes. So here goes.... first fasting day is tomorrow. I have decided to go the ready meal route just because its easier for work etc. No breakfast, a Weight Watchers soup and Muller Light for Lunch and a ready meal with whatever calories I have left. Im 14 stone exactly at the moment. Trying to get down to 11 stone by June, and 10 stone by the end of August so we'll see..... wink

TalkinPeace2 Fri 25-Jan-13 16:28:07

nicnac - come over to thread 10 ... but in the mean time, your calories on non fast days sound very low ....

THREAD CLOSED
you will not get a reply if you post on here
Thread FULL/CLOSED

Please post on the new thread : Number 10 ....

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/big_slim_whatever_weight_loss_club/1663998-5-2-Diet-Thread-Perfect-number-10?msgid=36726321#36726321

nicnac58 Fri 25-Jan-13 16:24:13

Newbie here have sat reading the threads around the 5 2 diet this afternoon. There appears to be a lot of wisdom and experience on here. Started the 5 2 plan Monday of last week and did 2 x500 days, 4 X1200 and 1 X 1400 also 5 exercise classes weighed myself on the 9th day after my 3rd fast day; result not one single solitary pound gone. Wondered what peoples thoughts are, is it better to just eat normally on feast days or should you calorie count, wanted to give things a a kick start but failed dismally.

magsiegm Thu 24-Jan-13 17:22:30

hello everyone! I've been looking at the site for a while now, and just plucked up the courage to join. This post is an encouragement to everyone who may have just started the diet. My partner Clive and I have been sticking to 5:2 since the beginning of September. Apart from a few crabby-induced rows, we've done really well, losing 14lbs each after the same number of weeks. Clive had his cholesterol tested before and after the 14 weeks, and found that his LDL had dropped by 20%, which was the main motivation for the diet. We are on the verge of dropping to 6:1 - has anyone any experience of how this affects them in terms of weight, other measurements, etc?

Mrspedro Wed 23-Jan-13 13:37:50

I am on day 2 fasting (started mon,feed day test and fast today) on Monday midday I noticed slight blurry vision and again today ... Is it 5:2 related? I'm fully hydrated

TalkinPeace2 Sun 20-Jan-13 16:41:46

THREAD CLOSED
you will not get a reply if you post on here
Thread FULL/CLOSED

sorry - could not help myself : but am so, so, so pleased to see how fast these threads roll over now because more people are joining in to get a healthy future....

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/big_slim_whatever_weight_loss_club/1663998-5-2-Diet-Thread-Perfect-number-10?msgid=36726321#36726321

Laska42 Sun 20-Jan-13 15:44:08
Laska42 Sun 20-Jan-13 15:31:45

THIS THREAD NOW CLOSED.. see the link in the post above.. We are over there on Thread !) now grin

HappyJustToBe Sun 20-Jan-13 15:26:42

I've come to join you knowledgeable people before the doors close!

On my second fast day and finding it a lot easier than I thought I would. I don't have any weight to lose as I am happy and at a healthy BMI but staying here after losing my excess (with SW) feels like a constant battle.

GreenEggsAndNichts Sun 20-Jan-13 15:25:08

We're within 15 posts of our 1,000 post limit here, so I've started a new thread over here. Please continue the discussion there! smile

GlassWorld Sun 20-Jan-13 15:10:15

Oh awesome! That sounds much easier. I am a real weekend eater but we do get forced to a lot of social events where you can't really get out of drinking (beer weight is doing me in!)

I'm thinking, as I've just come back from Italy and I'm carrying a lot of carb weight I may crash diet this week and start 5:2 or 4:3 next week...

And WOW these conversations get a lot of posts quickly!

Breadandwine Sun 20-Jan-13 14:48:48

Laska that's brilliant - of course, aduki beans. I've always sort of thought the kidney beans were a bit out of proportion - a bit too big!

I've got a packet in the cupboard - so, red dragon pie it is for me this week. I used to make it often, then it fell out of favour. And I've been hankering after lashings of mashed potato - so, great suggestion. Have another [star]!

GlassWorld, I meant ADF in my last post! blush

Molly [hug]

Laska42 Sun 20-Jan-13 14:45:28

.. no, it was Sarah brown..not rose elliot..will post the recipe. not especially low cal ,i expect but will work it out yesterday I made (if i may say so myself THE MOST STUNNING salsa verde.. will post that up also later

Laska42 Sun 20-Jan-13 14:31:56

B&W not wanting to gild your lilybut I was thinking perhaps aduki beans rather than kidney beans? being smaller they might look good and make for a more haggis-like texture? ..

btw have you tried red dragon pie? i used to make that years ago from a Rose Elliot recipe. might dig that one out again
yes lookjing for greeneggs also!

Breadandwine Sun 20-Jan-13 14:26:48

Anybody find they're looking over their shoulder for GreenEggs?

GlassWorld that's what happens all the time, swap the days to suit yourself. People with a lot to lose have found 4:3 working better for them. AFD is a bit hard-core - but it's horses for courses with this WOL. You need to find out what suits you, there are so many variations.

Welcome to the thread, BTW, which is just about to close... smile

Breadandwine Sun 20-Jan-13 14:22:46

Oops - cross-posted! Thanks, Laska

The recipe is one you can play around with to your heart's content. AFAIC, as long as it's got oatmeal in it, it qualifies as a haggis.

It's good enough for me to have it as a Christmas dinner - and in the brioche en croute it was fabulous! The only thing I regret is that I didn't include chopped sun-dried tomatoes. In fact, thinking about it, you could make a Mediterranean haggis, couldn't you - with olives, peppers, aubergine, capers, fresh basil....

Come summer, I'll have a go at that!

Ah, summer...[dream]

smile

GlassWorld Sun 20-Jan-13 14:21:21

Sorry, above wouldn't work I meant if you change your fast day to Tues.

GlassWorld Sun 20-Jan-13 14:20:42

Hello,

I've joined basically just for this thread. I have tried to read through everything for answers to my questions but there's A LOT!

Has anyone noticed that if they change their fast days, it effects your weight loss? My boyfriend and I are considering trying this and wondered if, if for example, your fast days are Monday and Thursday, but you have a social event on Monday which requires alcohol or dinner (boyfriend's father does not take no for an answer) - can you switch the fast day to, say, Wednesday and has anyone noticed this changes your general weight gain/loss?

Also, has anyone noticed 4:3, AFD (?) or 5:2 works best?

My BMI is ok (as is boyfriend's) - within healthy limits - but I am very short and I therefore don't like being at this end of the healthy spectrum. I am prone to putting on weight and have found it easy to race within a matter of months to overweight, hence wanting to nip this in the bud before it happens again... I've noticed some people mentioned something about weight loss slowing for those with a healthy BMI? Any expansion on this, or could anyone point me in the right direction.

Finally, I've been on a 6:1 diet before (not the healthiest time for me, I must add!)... I wonder if my previous very poor eating habits of almost constant fasting would render this diet unsuitable for me...

Lots of questions, sorry!

Breadandwine Sun 20-Jan-13 14:16:03

kiwigirl

Vegan haggis (my version):

Onion, celery, pepper, mushroom and carrot – all chopped small
100g of lentils cooked in 300g water
200g vegetable stock
2 dsps each mushroom sauce and Worcester sauce
1 dsp tomato puree
1 teaspoon mixed herbs
50g chopped, cooked, sweet chestnuts
300g red kidney beans
50g chopped nuts (which I ground in my spice mill)
100g porridge oats
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Ground black pepper to taste

Here's the method + pics - and the haggis en croute (in a brioche-type dough) that I had for Christmas dinner)

Laska - if you'd like to do the calorie counting for this haggis, that'd be great! [star]

Laska42 Sun 20-Jan-13 14:03:22

kiwigirl here is the link to B&Ws food blog and his vegan haggis recipe.. Im not a veggie even, but eat a lot of veggie food and thought it looked interesting..

This thread is not accepting new messages.