5:2 Diet Thread! Number 9, welcoming the new year...

(1000 Posts)
GreenEggsAndNichts Thu 10-Jan-13 00:14:08

The continuing thread for those of us following either the 5:2 diet or the alternate-day fasting diet. Both are two versions of Intermittent Fasting, which you can read more about here.

The 5:2 diet was featured on Horizon in August 2012, and essentially requires you to fast for 2 non-consecutive days per week. The other 5 days, you can eat what you like. Alternate-day fasting is just how it sounds; you fast every other day. By "fasting", we mean that we keep our calorie consumption very low, around 500 calories on average, on those days.

I know a number of people lurk on this thread, as this is currently quite popular. Please just jump in and post if you're new- we won't bite. Well, maybe on a fast day. wink You'll find a lot of support here.

Here is a list of links to get you started with this way of eating. Please let us know if you find a new article or some other information online:

First things first, here are links to some of our previous threads: most recent one before that another one etc!

Another thread which breadandwine has started is a good resource for some of the links and tips that get lost in these big threads. In addition to sharing links, we try to condense some of our top tips for fasting there. Keep in mind, we all do this differently, so these are just tips, not rules. This might be a good place to catch up with us if you're feeling a bit lost!

frenchfancy has a recipe thread over here, please post any low-calorie recipes there so they don't get lost in these bigger threads!

Here is the link to the BBC article regarding Michael Mosley's findings, which was featured on Horizon.

B&W has found a new link to the aforementioned Horizon programme here. If you're keen to see it, watch it soon, because BBC has been quick to find these copies and shut them down online. We're hoping they'll re-play it again soon. I know these threads are popular, maybe they'll read my request. wink

A blog post here gives some of the scientific explanation for why this way of eating helps you to not only lose weight, but improve your all-around health.

A Telegraph article which comments on the diet and gives a brief overview.

A study discussed here gives commentary specifically addressing the effect of this diet on obese people (both men and women), with regard to both health and weight loss. ("After 8 weeks of treatment, participants had an average 12.5 lbs reduction in body weight and a 4 cm decrease in waist circumference. Total fat mass declined by about 12 lbs while lean body mass remained relatively constant.) it also mentions "Plasma adiponectin, a protein hormone that is elevated in obesity and associated with heart disease, dropped by 30%. As did LDL cholesterol (25%) and triglycerides (32%).")

Important link if you are currently your ideal BMI: this appears to suggest the benefits for women at a lower BMI might not be seeing the same health benefits that are found on men at their ideal BMI.

And for those already fasting, here is a link to 100 snacks under 100 calories. We tend to favour lots of hot drinks during the day (count your milk if you use it!)

Another food link, here is a link to the BBC Good Food site, with a list of low-calorie soups.

We mentioned BMR and TDEE often. Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) quantifies the number of calories you burn in a day. This measure is best estimated by scaling your Basal Metabolic Rate to your level of activity. TDEE is critical in tailoring your nutrition plan to desired fitness goals. Here is a link to a calculator to help you figure out how many calories you should be eating in a day. (This is a new calculator to previous threads, this one seems to give me approximately the same results the last one did, but without the virus warnings on my browser!)

A BIG THANK YOU to all who have been contributing, btw. Most of us are learning this way of eating as we go along. All of the links above have been posted by others in our previous threads, and they've been very helpful. Sorry if I haven't given credit where it's due, but it was just enough of a job getting all the links re-copied and back into one post.

Come join us, and tell us about your experiences with this diet!

2nd fast day of the week, found an old telegraph article linked from Dr M's new website....it's nowhere near as good as here! where the science experts talked about doing the full 3/4 days fasting in a supervised manner as some people may faint and that blood pressure can drop significantly, which explains to me why when I did the not eating all day on tues I then nearly fainted at 6.30pm . So i am abandoning attempts to save all calories for one meal, quite happy to continue to do 16 hours plus, and eat soup lunch at 1pm ish, but for me, the risk of fainting, which i hate so much, is just not worth it, I'm not convinced that just drinking more will prevent me from fainting.

now focussed on getting to the first target of 10 stone 8, that will be a full stone loss, I know it's taken a while, lots of plateau's but I am fine with that, but feel like I can do this in Jan, I was 10 10 before xmas, thne up to 10 13, pushing myself to 10 8 by jan 31st seems do-able? my new wii should be set up this weekend, so will look at the wii fit and report back!

Ezzza Thu 10-Jan-13 12:33:29

Time for bed.

All the best to everyone on a fast day today!

Iwearblack Thu 10-Jan-13 12:48:01

Yes aftereights I find it doesn't sound so bonkers now when I try and describe it to people ....

Made it to lunchtime with no food so feeling better - even if I eat now, will be able to stay around 500 for the day phew....
Off to check out dr M's website now!

Laska42 Thu 10-Jan-13 13:10:50

Yo ..and I am on DR Mosleys website !!! , look under users experiences..

'The fast Diet as a way of life - Jackie J ' (decided to use my real name onthe site though not all of it ! )

Aftereightsarenolongermine Thu 10-Jan-13 13:47:25

Way to go laska. Lol at chilli sauce, I've now bought marks & Spencer's frozen diced chilli which I add to almost everything. Can't recommend highly enough am sure other places sell it too but saw it there first.

mollysfolly Thu 10-Jan-13 13:49:06

Laska I'd have known 'Jackie J' was you - the chilli sauce!! Good post and very encouraging for new users.

Thanks for the almost new thread GE&N

Iwearblack Thu 10-Jan-13 14:18:47

The 'I used 15 tomatoes' was the giveaway for me laska!
I am currently making your lovely sounding soup but as I am stuck at home and do not have any carrots or red peppers in it is going to be slightly (ie completely) different (i have used parsnips!). Will let you know how it tastes!

chipstick10 Thu 10-Jan-13 14:19:48

Hi everyone
It was my first fast day ever yesterday. I ate nothing till 2 in the afternoon when I ate a large plate of French green beans and a small piece of fresh tuna dry fried. At 7 I ate two small scrambled eggs and a very small piece of whole meal toast. Drank loads of water. I found the point up until my first meal very very hard. I struggled with a horrid headache and that's what got me more than the hunger.
I am so proud of myself today. Slept well. Wasn't hungry when I awoke. Savoured my cup of tea this morning. Walked the dog and my lingering headache was gone by the time I got home. I am surmised at how sensible I have been. It's amazing how I am listening to my body. After my home made fruit smoothie I ate nothing until 1.30 when I had a small whole meal tuna sarnie. I ate it slowly and enjoyed every bite. Normally I would've made another straight away but I didn't. I have saved the rest of the tuna for when I am truly hungry again. I hope this continues.
Great posts and great support on this thread, luvin it.

kiwigirl42 Thu 10-Jan-13 14:44:14

well done chipstick10. I'm on a fast day and the worms are just starting to bite! Will get DS from school and have some tea with him as late as I can do it. I don't actually crave to eat anything which is unusual. Just feel a bit empty.

niki3108 Thu 10-Jan-13 15:30:35

oh dear. I have been . a right pig today! lost 5.5lb in first week. though glad I'm not weighing every day now as some deck will have gone back on! oops

niki3108 Thu 10-Jan-13 15:55:49

I've just found a whole section of recipes on www.bbcgoodfood.com on recipes under 200kcal. some really nice looking things there!

Aftereightsarenolongermine Thu 10-Jan-13 15:57:16

Right you lot give me a good talking to. Ive eaten absolute rubbish today & I am not hungry. Had healthy breakfast & lunch followed by fruit. So far so good but since 3 I've eaten chocolates nuts & lots of it! Worse I've eaten 2 crunchies & it's not 4pm! I've got the to hell with it attitude today. this is a bad sign as I could eat my weight in calories from now till bedtime! It's like the old fatter me.

Aftereightsarenolongermine Thu 10-Jan-13 15:58:05

I knew a name change was a bad idea.

Salbertina Thu 10-Jan-13 16:00:42

Don't beat yrself up, been there too..we all slip now and then. Just move on and try again another day

GreenEggsAndNichts Thu 10-Jan-13 16:03:33

Make yourself some tea, aftereights, or whichever hot drink floats your boat. I'm on my second cup of chai tea today (well, it's a fast day for me so options are limited!) and I might just have a third. There's something about the cold that just makes me want to eat something.

Realistically, you could be 'to hell with it' today and just shape up tomorrow, but if you're worried that it's a slippery slope, then yes you'll want to nip it in the bud now! Get yourself a hot drink, have some water as well in case you're dehydrated. Don't make me send TIP after you. grin

Aftereightsarenolongermine Thu 10-Jan-13 16:09:21

Thank you! I knew you'd help. Starting to feel slightly nauseous now not used to all this junk. Hope that will also do the trick!

niki3108 Thu 10-Jan-13 16:15:51

aftereights thank God it's not just me!

Aftereightsarenolongermine Thu 10-Jan-13 16:17:55

niki grin

GreenEggsAndNichts Thu 10-Jan-13 16:20:11

I have started to like Chai tea a lot. It feels as if it's sweet, with the spices in it, but obviously there's no sugar involved. I can't stand fruit teas so this feels like a nice compromise for when I want something sweet.

I hope it helps aftereights!

ariel3112 Thu 10-Jan-13 16:26:46

Thanks for the recommendation for the Pukka teas... Asked Mr Google where I could get them and turns out they're stocked in a little independent health shop that I walk past every day but had never (till today) been in. So am trying the licorice and cinnamon, and it's really yum. Though I'd say there's more of a taste of cardamom than anything else.

Today's fast is going a lot better than Tuesdays, I have been busy all day and think that really helps. Met some friends for coffee but just had diet coke, and have had just one coffee with milk (I don't add much) this morning. I was in two minds about fasting today or doing tomorrow, today being busy while tomorrow is less so, but it's been a revelation that having loads to do is much better and easier than sitting waiting for it to be 6pm!

Planning on having dark rye ryvitas with avocado, salsa and maybe a little cheese, and grilled courgettes, broccoli and salad for dinner. Spur of the moment when I saw the avocados in asda that were actually ready to eat rather than just labeled ready to eat.

Aftereightsarenolongermine Thu 10-Jan-13 16:58:50

Have made myself pear & apple green tea. Don't have chai but will invest in some if you think it's worth it.

mandyr Thu 10-Jan-13 17:01:33

I couldn't do my jeans up when I started the 5:2 in August. I've just discovered that, not only are they nice and loose now, I can actually take them on and off without undoing them.

Haven't eaten yet today, and looking forward to my Fully Loaded Chunky Lentil and Bean Soup, by the New York Soup Company.

I love the way everything tastes so much better when you've been fasting.

virginposter Thu 10-Jan-13 17:04:07

aftereights must be something in the air today. Non fast day today and just eaten loads of cashews and 2 small tubs of Ben & Jerrys choc brownie ice cream (were supposed to be a treat for DH and I but both are now in my fattummy) - Doh! blush

chipstick10 Thu 10-Jan-13 17:28:05

I agree that everything tastes soooo much better when fasting. Today a non fasting day and everything tastes great. I actually really appreciate eating. I do it because I really want to and not because I ought to or because I'm bored.

Aftereightsarenolongermine Thu 10-Jan-13 17:32:53

For purely selfish reasons I'm glad it's not just me.

This thread is not accepting new messages.