5:2 Diet Thread! Number 8, fast away fast away fast away all!

(1000 Posts)
GreenEggsAndNichts Fri 14-Dec-12 15:51:14

The continuing thread for those of us following either the 5:2 diet or the alternate-day fasting diet. Both are two versions of Intermittent Fasting, which you can read more about here.

The 5:2 diet was featured on Horizon in August 2012, and essentially requires you to fast for 2 non-consecutive days per week. The other 5 days, you can eat what you like. Alternate-day fasting is just how it sounds; you fast every other day. By "fasting", we mean that we keep our calorie consumption very low, around 500 calories on average, on those days.

I know a number of people lurk on this thread, as this is currently quite popular. Please just jump in and post if you're new- we won't bite. Well, maybe on a fast day. wink You'll find a lot of support here.

Here is a list of links to get you started with this way of eating. Please let us know if you find a new article or some other information online:

First things first, here are links to some of our previous threads: most recent one before that another one etc!

Another thread which breadandwine has started is a good resource for some of the links and tips that get lost in these big threads. In addition to sharing links, we try to condense some of our top tips for fasting there. Keep in mind, we all do this differently, so these are just tips, not rules.

frenchfancy has a recipe thread over here, please post any low-calorie recipes there so they don't get lost in these bigger threads!

Here is the link to the BBC article regarding Michael Mosley's findings, which was featured on Horizon.

Here is where I would link to the aforementioned Horizon programme, but it appears as if the BBC have finally noticed it on YouTube and have taken it down. Here is a link to the programme's page on iPlayer, which features a couple of clips, and might have updates eventually. Let us know if you find another site hosting it.

A blog post here gives some of the scientific explanation for why this way of eating helps you to not only lose weight, but improve your all-around health.

A Telegraph article which comments on the diet and gives a brief overview.

A study discussed here gives commentary specifically addressing the effect of this diet on obese people (both men and women), with regard to both health and weight loss. ("After 8 weeks of treatment, participants had an average 12.5 lbs reduction in body weight and a 4 cm decrease in waist circumference. Total fat mass declined by about 12 lbs while lean body mass remained relatively constant.) it also mentions "Plasma adiponectin, a protein hormone that is elevated in obesity and associated with heart disease, dropped by 30%. As did LDL cholesterol (25%) and triglycerides (32%).")

Important link if you are currently your ideal BMI: this appears to suggest the benefits for women at a lower BMI might not be seeing the same health benefits that are found on men at their ideal BMI.

And for those already fasting, here is a link to 100 snacks under 100 calories. We tend to favour lots of hot drinks during the day (count your milk if you use it!)

Another food link, here is a link to the BBC Good Food site, with a list of low-calorie soups.

We mentioned BMR and TDEE often. Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) quantifies the number of calories you burn in a day. This measure is best estimated by scaling your Basal Metabolic Rate to your level of activity. TDEE is critical in tailoring your nutrition plan to desired fitness goals. Here is a link to a calculator to help you figure out how many calories you should be eating in a day. (This is a new calculator to previous threads, this one seems to give me approximately the same results the last one did, but without the virus warnings on my browser!)

A BIG THANK YOU to all who have been contributing, btw. Most of us are learning this way of eating as we go along. All of the links above have been posted by others in our previous threads, and they've been very helpful. Sorry if I haven't given credit where it's due, but it was just enough of a job getting all the links re-copied and back into one post.

Come join us, and tell us about your experiences with this diet!

GreenEggsAndNichts Mon 31-Dec-12 18:12:23

ooh FF I just joined the FB group, as well.

I prefer our group because it's a bit smaller and easier to manage, but I'm sure I'll post a bit there from time to time. I like that MM is there, too.

Liberty132 Mon 31-Dec-12 18:29:53

Merry Christmas - I havent posted for a while. Been doing 5:2 since mid October. I had a BMI of 26 when I started and still do. Obviously I didnt have much to lose. I have found the diet relatively easy and although I have only lost around 3lbs, plenty of friends, family and colleagues have commented I have lost weight.

My tum is substantially reduced and up until my festive indulgencies, my IBS was much better.

I only told my husband on Christmas day what I have been doing and have forwarded him lots of links to look at. He is 6ft 5 and weighs 15 stone, so nothing wrong with his weight. He is being very supportive.

I have also notice my hair growing more. I have long hair to begin with, but it is growing more.

My plan 'next year' is to continue with 5:2 but try to be a little better behaved on eating days and try and lose 3 - 5 lbs if possible. New job on the 7th, so not sure how my eating plan will fit - but I will make it some how.

Yeah - IBS is a pain at the mo. Too many rich naughty treats. Almost go as far as to say that I am looking forward to Christmas being over so I can return to 'normal' eating.

HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Iwearblack Mon 31-Dec-12 18:40:11

Happy new year all! And welcome to new posters ...
Have managed to do 6:1 over Christmas time but pigged out on other days and so looking forward to getting back to 5:2. Think I have put ona couple of lbs so not too bad (have you seen how many calories are in a mince pie!!)
Looking forward to reading THE book too!
wine

Happy New Year all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aftereights and TiP2 if this were a poker game I'd match your weightloss and raise you a few pounds. Tbh must have put on about 9lb over Christmas and haven't done a Fast now since a week before Christmas...the problem is, with my experiences over the past few months I kind of had the feeling I was immune to weight gain, that I could eat everything I wanted and not put on any weight....which was true......as long as I threw in atleast 2 fasting days a week wink

Still not too bothered ( well overly anyway hmm ) as soon as Christmas and the new year is over hope to get back into 5:2 or 4:3, more likely 4:3 for a while.......that's the great thing about this WOL.

Anyway, hope everyone had a great Christmas and a happy new year to everyone out there and a special welcome to all the de-lurkers and beginners. One last thing, a great big thanks to Greeneggs for starting this Thread and for keeping it going - your hard work has helped loads of us in so many ways.

Roll on 2013!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aftereights and TiP2 if this were a poker game I'd match your weightloss and raise you a few pounds

I meant weight gain , as well as putting on weight I seem to have lost the ability to write coherently blush

TalkinPeace2 Mon 31-Dec-12 21:39:02

welcome all new people
and yup, it's going to be amusing all of us getting back on the straight and narrow next week!

Aftereightsaremine Mon 31-Dec-12 22:34:16

cyclistist grin

Oh god dreading the scales so decided not to face them yet!

Welcome newbies. Don't think I've been looking forward to getting back ON the wagon again....2nd will be first proper fast day since 21st, then seeing one of my best mates on the isle of man for 4days....oh dear

lorgie79 Tue 01-Jan-13 07:11:31

Hello there, another newbie all the way from Australia.
I am trying to lose baby weight. My happy weight is 50kg (im 4'10) and climbed all the way up to 75kg when gave birth. I am now sitting at 61kg 7 Months later. I am breastfeeding so weight loss has been hard (my body is hanging on to fat for dear life). I was stuck at 65 for ages but discovered intermittent fasting (16/8) and it has started to come off.
I recently saw the horizon program and am keen to try 5:2. Today I tried to do a 24h fast but after last meal at 6pm last night, I only made it to 3.30pm before I needed my 500cals. Oh well, it's longer than I've gone so far smile

virginposter Tue 01-Jan-13 11:28:37

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL POSTERS and welcome to all newbies, you will love this WOE once you get into it.

I too dreaded my weigh-in and was going to put it off until next week but after reading your recent posts decided that I should bite the bullet, change my cowardly ways and get on with it.

I'm so glad that I did as I was sure I had put on many lbs but to my surprise and delight I am the same as when I weighed on 18 Dec. Saying that, on 18th I was 1 lb heavier so throughout Dec put on 1 lb - yay.

I did manage 3 fasts during Xmas but also had my fair share of yummy goodies including mince pies with cream last night. Found it quite hard to fast over the festive period but I knew it was that or extra poundage. Am fasting again today but after yeasterday's indulgences find I keep thinking about all those leftovers in the fridge. I will be happy when I am fully back into the swing of fasting and not feeling tempted as I do now.

Am halfway through Dr M's book so can't comment as yet.

MABS Tue 01-Jan-13 11:34:55

Hi all - can i join you? have read the whole thread and you are all inspirational! happy new year smile

catsrus Tue 01-Jan-13 12:53:59

Hello Newbies and welcome smile. If you find you get on with this WOE (Way of Eating) then you'll find your life pretty much transformed, no more worries about going out to eat or times like Christmas! it's brilliant. Dr Mosley's book "the fast diet" is worth reading as an intro - especially if didn't see the original programme (or saw it months ago!)

duchesse Tue 01-Jan-13 13:47:59

Just about to eat my first food since yesterday lunchtime. I decided to do the full fast for 24 hours thing- it just seems a lot more clear cut than trying to chance upon 500 calories. I have to say that this morning has been much easier than I expected, although I was quite hungry yesterday evening and succumbed to a miso soup at about 9pm. I've not felt hungry at all this morning.

Breadandwine Tue 01-Jan-13 14:50:12

Welcome, lorgie and MABS - you'll soon find yourself at home on here!

As well as this thread it's a good idea to read the Tips and Links thread - in the OP - to get some idea of the science behind this WOE.

I went to the doc's yesterday, and while I was there I asked him about doing some blood tests. Turns out I'd had a fasting blood test - with good results - last March, so we agreed to repeat the test in a couple of months time. This will coincide with me having practiced a form of CR for 12 months.

Be interesting to see if the markers are different...

tomorrowweeat Tue 01-Jan-13 17:32:11

Another newbie joining in. My first fast day today and seems to be going OK. Have found all the info on this site very helpful. Many thanks to the posters. I had a can of vegetable soup (112cal) and a tangerine (35) for lunch and am searching the boards for ideas on how to use my remaining cals for dinner. Wishing everyone a very happy and successful New Year. Tomorrow smile

puggirl Tue 01-Jan-13 18:31:22

Hello All,

Another new joiner here. I was planning on joining weight watchers tomorrow but after reading up on 5:2 over Christmas (when I wasn't scoffing) I think this sounds do much better.

I looked on amazon and there were a couple of 5:2 books - which book would people recommend?

pookey Tue 01-Jan-13 18:33:34

Happy new Year!

Welcome tomorrowweeat and all other newbies smile

Really interesting that delaying eating worked for you catsrus well done!

Quite tempted to get the Dr M book but my shelves are embarrasingly lined with diet books, trip to oxfam in order I guess! Will wait a while, need to get more frugal in jan...

Weight still about the same, need to fast tomorrow but enjoying the last of the roses tonight!

Laksa, on reading this, it looks as though it will suit me better than ww, as on ww I do well for about 4 days then go rubbish, so I hope to find 2 days ok. We'll see. smile

EllenRose Tue 01-Jan-13 19:37:53

Was very pleased to have kept loss off in spite of a cheeky glass or two last night. Looking forward to next fast - never thought I would be saying that grin

pookey Tue 01-Jan-13 20:53:33

puggirl most people have found this after watching the horizon programme by michael mosely. Haven't read any books so far but Michael Moseley's new book seems like a good place to start.

pookey Tue 01-Jan-13 20:56:13
pookey Tue 01-Jan-13 21:18:00

B&W I think I have added all the links from pages 7-9, apologies if I missed any and haven't gone further back but I need to do some back to work ironing!

pookey Tue 01-Jan-13 21:18:26

Sorry meant to say they have been added to the tips thread.

Foodfactory Tue 01-Jan-13 22:32:01

Hi all,

Just discovered this extremely informative thread and kindly request permission to join.

I have been a serial dieter the majority of my life and like many tried a lot of the commercially available diets.

My greatest success came last year when losing 5 stone through using My Fitness Pal and exercising. To lose it wasn't that difficult, the problem has been keeping it off. Since hitting the 5 stone mark I have gained back just over 2 and feel I am on the slippery slope to gaining it all back.

I tried the 5:2 plan back in August after watching the TV documentary, but had difficulty sticking to it, especially when mentally I thought 5:2 wasn't enough and plumbed for 4:3 instead. This I found too difficult to stick to and ultimately fell off the wagon.

After following M M on twitter and seeing that interest in the 5:2 has started to trend again I would give it another go, this time sticking to the 5:2. Today has been my first fast day and so far it has been ok.

I look forward to learning more from the group and receiving M M's book through the post later this week.

Breadandwine Tue 01-Jan-13 23:02:01

pookey, I've just seen the amount of effort you've gone to - thanks for that! (We need a star emoticon on here! smile )

You can do your ironing with a clear conscience!

I've just added a new link to the Tips and Links thread:

gettingstronger.org/2011/05/intermittent-fasting-for-health-and-longevity/

Some good stuff on there - would appreciate some feedback since there is so much of it.

(Thanks to Laska)

This thread is not accepting new messages.