5:2 Diet Thread: Part Five! Top of the Mornin' to you!

(978 Posts)
GreenEggsAndNichts Sun 07-Oct-12 17:53:33

The continuing thread for those of us following either the 5:2 diet or the alternate-day fasting diet. Both are two versions of Intermittent Fasting, which you can read more about here.

The 5:2 diet was featured on Horizon a month or two ago, and essentially requires you to fast for 2 non-consecutive days per week. The other 5 days, you can eat what you like. Alternate-day fasting is just how it sounds; you fast every other day. By "fasting", we mean that we keep our calorie consumption very low, around 500 calories on average, on those days.

Here is a list of the links we've gathered so far about this diet. I hope I haven't left many out, but we've filled several threads by now. Please share if you find something particularly useful, and we'll add it for the next thread.

First things first, here are links to some of our previous threads: most recent one before that another one.

Another thread which breadandwine has just started can be found here. We'll be trying to condense some of our top tips for fasting there. Keep in mind, we all do this differently, so these are just tips, not rules.

frenchfancy has a recipe thread over here, please post any low-calorie recipes there so they don't get lost in these bigger threads!

Here is the link to the BBC article regarding Michael Mosley's findings, which was featured on Horizon.

Here is a link to the first part of the aforementioned Horizon, subsequent parts of that episode are linked on that page.

A blog post here gives some of the scientific explanation for why this way of eating helps you to not only lose weight, but improve your all-around health.

A Telegraph article which comments on the diet and gives a brief overview.

A study discussed here gives commentary specifically addressing the effect of this diet on obese people (both men and women), with regard to both health and weight loss. ("After 8 weeks of treatment, participants had an average 12.5 lbs reduction in body weight and a 4 cm decrease in waist circumference. Total fat mass declined by about 12 lbs while lean body mass remained relatively constant.) it also mentions "Plasma adiponectin, a protein hormone that is elevated in obesity and associated with heart disease, dropped by 30%. As did LDL cholesterol (25%) and triglycerides (32%).")

Important link if you are currently your ideal BMI: this appears to suggest the benefits for women at a lower BMI might not be seeing the same health benefits that are found on men at their ideal BMI.

And for those already fasting, here is a link to 100 snacks under 100 calories. We tend to favour lots of hot drinks during the day (count your milk if you use it!)

Another food link, here is a link to the BBC Good Food site, with a list of low-calorie soups.

We often mention basal metabolic rate (BMR) here. This refers to the amount of energy (calories) a person uses when at rest; so, the basic number of calories a person needs to stay the same weight. This number is often quoted as being 2000 calories for the "average" woman, but of course is different depending on how tall you are, how much you weigh, etc. Here is a calculator which will easily help you to find out what your BMR is.

A BIG THANK YOU to all who have been contributing, btw. Most of us are learning this way of eating as we go along. All of the links above have been posted by others in our previous threads, and they've been very helpful. Sorry if I haven't given credit where it's due, but it was just enough of a job getting them all in one post this afternoon. wink

Come join us, and tell us about your experiences with this diet!

Breadandwine Wed 24-Oct-12 16:15:20

Thanks, mocnk. I'm with you on the celebration stuff - trouble is the kids (and now the grandchildren) have always piled in with the chocolatey stuff, so I haven't felt like adding to it. Now I don't care! smile

Just posted this on the Tips and Hints thread:

Here are some Q&As on fasting, written by a bloke who, while admittedly is flogging stuff, seems to have most of his info freely available. It's a fascinating blog - well worth a bit of a browse:

www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting-questions-answers/#axzz2A9hW1Alh

Sputnik Wed 24-Oct-12 17:36:56

Lol MOB, I read hoops' post like that too, but I think she meant her shape was changing, not that of her poos.
Breadandwine, happy anniversary!

Purlin Wed 24-Oct-12 17:45:50

1. fasting since mid August
2. 2 fast days a week
3. Generally Monday/ Wednesday, but moves around depending on my plans. Only fixed thing seems to be that I only fast on a work day (M-F) as then I'm too busy to think about food! Got a little freaked out initially by all this talk of 16 hour fasts, then realised that if you're not a snacker it just means missing breakfast on a fast day. Bit of a relief and seems to make fasting easier - I definitely find that waiting as long as possible before eating seems to lessen the hunger pangs. Have also found that avoiding carb-based meals on fast days makes me less hungry (usually miso or vegetable soup and fish and roasted veg do the trick).
4. Benefits - lost a stone, more energy, more conscious of what I eat and am noticing that I'm more aware of flavours and volumes than ever before. Get full quickly but really enjoy what I do eat.
5. Nothing really, weight loss plateaued for several weeks but seem to be losing again.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 24-Oct-12 17:59:21

Whoop MoB think the rest of us forget we're not solely in female company - I blame having small children. Most of my conversations seem to revolve around poo

Really good seeing everyone's updates, especially all the mental benefits - I know it's been said before but amazing how this has has the total opposite of most diets, removing guilt rather than adding to it

Fast day - i'm only an hour away from 16hours "thanks" to DD keeping me up 4-7am when I switched with DH and got to go back to bed for a few hours.

Family curry tonight so will try to hold out as close to then as poss, but will need a chilli soup to keep me going before school pickup otherwise I'll be horrid

Laska42 Wed 24-Oct-12 17:59:40

cyclistist Just been to Sainsburys..... 4 bottles!

Hello... my name is Laska and I am a chillioholic smile

Laska42 Wed 24-Oct-12 18:02:10

Yes but MOB it was you that gave us a new meaning for TOTM though, wasn't it? .. I just love it , esp as thankfully too old for the other now...

Breadandwine Wed 24-Oct-12 18:05:52

Just heard my blog has been accepted, so I'm now officially a Mumsnet Blogger! Not sure I know what that entails, but at least, it's a seal of approval! (Thanks for the suggestion, GreenEggs!)

I'm now coming up to 22 hours fasting - and, although I haven't felt hungry at all today, I'm planning my dinner for tonight.

I have a veg curry simmering on the stove - made last week it's 224 calories. I've just added 8g of vegan bacon (whilst pretty vile on its own, it really deepens the flavour of a stew-type meal), bringing the calories up to 240. I shall have a micro-waved potato - 100g/72 cals - with it, along with 50g of broccoli - 16 cals. This brings the total to 328 calories.

As a bloke, I can have up to 600 calories, and the remaining 270 calories are tantalising me somewhat - and I've come to a decision!

Since it's our anniversary, I shall make us both a simple pancake with blitzed, (artificially) sweetened strawberries - made with just flour and water, this will come to approx 90 cals. (I'll put this on the recipe thread, along with a link to my blog.)

That leaves me with 180 calories burning a hole in my pocket.

Pre-dinner drink, 100ml of beer = 40 calories
Wine with my meal, 50ml of red wine = 40 calories

That makes 500 calories for the day.

So, no-brainer, really smile - but I won't have the beer until 6pm. That's 22 hours complete fasting (except for the strong black coffee).

I'll raise a glass (my wife doesn't drink) to all the posters on this thread, thanks for your company, your enthusiasm, humour and shared knowledge - and to the lovely, warm, collective spirit that infuses this thread! wine wine

Happy fasting everyone!

SpiralSkies Wed 24-Oct-12 19:05:52

If we had a like button, I'd be hitting it for Breadandwine

ManOnBoard Wed 24-Oct-12 21:49:25

Have a medical next Wednesday at 9.15am and they have told me to fast from midnight??????? It is annual and hoping for good news re cholesterol and BP

A healthy adult should have a resting heart rate of 60-80bpm whereas someone well conditioned will be 35-50. Periodically I would check mine and for years was a satisfactory 50-52 but this morning it was 41, which I checked 3 times to be certain. My cardio routine has increased recently which may slightly explain this but I still do far less than prviously. I wondered if anyone else had checked theirs and noticed a change or if anyone just starting this woe (or is it now wol) would monitor their bpm from the start.

Skinnyeye Wed 24-Oct-12 23:21:41

MOB there are so many things that I wish I had measured before starting this WOL. Body fat percentage, body measurement and heart rate etc. We have a lot of anecdotal "evidence" of the benefits of this lifestyle but no cold hard facts.

In the absence of research we could start our own project. Do we have any lurkers out there considering starting IF who would like to assist? I am going to start keeping a weekly note of my measurements, body fat and resting heart rate as well as weight loss. A little bit late but better late than never.

Any thoughts on what else I should be including?

ManOnBoard Thu 25-Oct-12 00:21:37

Skinny any sort of monitoring would have to be low tech as I am fairly sure few of us have anything but basic monitoring equipment but perhaps BMI, starting and present, the nunber of fast and overeating days and limit the number of measurements ie 38-28-42 etc, or is that just me?

Karateoap my weight loss has been constant but, and I apologise if this sounds patronising, as you lose weight your BMR drops so you would need to continually reassess and lower your cal intake anr/or increase your exercise.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Thu 25-Oct-12 00:48:39

Wish I'd kept some measurements too - all I know is my starting weight and dress size!

Have to report on a very easy fasting day today, made a huge veg curry for tonight's dinner and had a little just before swimming, so broke my fast at 19hours without even thinking about it, going to try making it a full 24 on Friday. I also haven't even had any coffee, just one cup of tea and should be dead on my feet thanks to DDs antics last night - but have had Tina of energy today. Being very busy has ded helped so now planning a full on day for Friday

Piebaldrider Thu 25-Oct-12 07:04:52

Yesterday was a day of The Good the Bad and the Ugly . I woke up feeling ok so decided to have a fast day as i thought i could try for another 4.3.

I was fine most of the day , i mucked out my horse etc went to work until lunch time as i had a half day for my Gym induction.

Although I'm quite active every day i wasn't quite as fit as i would have liked, however i enjoyed it and i know i need to try and keep it up now. The coach didn't like it that i had fasted that day but i thought id be ok and i was. I have said many times i don't weigh myself but as my membership is discounted from my healthcare provider one of the conditions is i am monitored so i was weighed. Now although 14 stone is overweight for me it is not as much as i thought and I'm sure that when i was weighed a couple of years ago at the doctor it was nearer 15 stone so i know i have lost weight as well as fat so i was very happy . My target weight of 10.5 stone is still a long way away but its not as far as i thought and it feels slightly more achievable now. I will continue to be weighed at the gym in the same clothes so it will be interesting to see what happens now, muscle weighs more than fat so i will need to keep that in mind and continue to monitor my body shape.

After this i had to go back to the stables catch my horse and do some work with him and i was starting to feel it by now and after a late shop to by a new fish tank as mine was leaking i couldn't do it any longer because i was starting to feel quite rough so had fish and chips ! I have a couple of days off work so will do the gym every day until Monday as well as do my horse and i will add a fast on Friday so i will have done 5.2. Jumping in on other posts , i don't sleep as well on fast days and i am having to include decent portions of flax seed in my diet to keep things moving along as without it i think they would have ceased altogether now.

Thelittlestranger Thu 25-Oct-12 09:33:36

Found yesterday's fast one of the easiest so far, so it's positive that it's still getting easier as time goes on. That's my 2 fasts done for the week, and now I can relax in to the rest of the week...weigh in is today at the gym, and I'm hopeful I've lost another pound this week. Fingers crossed.

It is really interesting to read everybody's stats...there have been posters on this thread who have been prolific, and then fallen by the wayside, so I'm not sure the fact that the majority of us posters are having positive effects is scientifically reliable. All I know, is it seems to be working for me.

Morning all, yesterdays fast a breeze, i agree with thelittlestranger and others who say it gets easier and easier.....with the caveat that I still have to have meals planned or time to pick something up, I don't have time between finishing work and collecting kids from after school care to stop at the shops and only have a 30 min lunch as i start at 9.30 because of school drop.....so must at least put some yummy soups in the freezer.

I weighed in this morning at 10 11, so really pleased, a definite 1 pound loss from last week, and no see sawing which has happened before, if this continues then I will pretty much be at target by Christmas, which could mean by Jan I could switch to 6:1, although I actually expect the loss to plateau out before then, we shall see, I'm not really worried as 5:2 seems easily do-able long term.

I agree wth spiralskies , I alwasy enjoy reading breadandwines posts< and manonboard always makes me laugh, enjoying the camaraderie lots, hope all doing well!

tomorrow night's b;day party likely to blow my loss for next week, cocktails and cheese, and friends staying for the weekend, plus kids half term next week. (although I'll be working tues-thurs).

Hi Laska those 4 bottles should spice up the veg on fasting days, well atleast for a week or 2 smile

Fasting day today and daily routine has been messed up so will no doubt find it harder than normal. Nothing for it but to keep AS BUSY AS POSSIBLE for the next few hours.

Good luck to all those fasting today and envy to all those on an 'up' day.

TalkinPeace2 Thu 25-Oct-12 10:58:17

fasting today
weigh in tomorrow
bought jeans this week that were a size smaller than normal .....

Breadandwine Thu 25-Oct-12 10:59:07

Thanks, folks! smile

I fasted for 23 hours yesterday - had dinner without feeling hungry. It was a doddle. I had my 300 calorie dinner and got up feeling stuffed - I had to force myself to have a pud! grin

The pancake and strawberries dessert wasn't all that great, TBH. I didn't sweeten my wife's sufficiently, and mine was, well, ordinary. We'd have been far better off just having lemon and sugar as per normal. Did I mention that those pancakes only cost around 1p each? Bargain!

Back to fasting: I'm really curious as to how long I can fast for - I'll get round to that sometime. I just want to not eat until I feel hungry. In the meantime I'm continuing to lose weight - 7 kilos, now - and I've lost about 2.5 inches round my waist.

Rather annoyed since I bought two pairs of 34" trousers before summer. If I'd have waited (or known), I would have gone for 32". Now, when I buckle up I have to tuck in all that spare material. [sigh]

Another side-effect of missing meals is that it gives you loads more time. (Time to squander on forums like this one!) I could write a book about procrastination - if I ever got round to it!

I'm actually doing some admin, sat here in the kitchen. Two feet from my left elbow is the bread bin with the remains of a German apple cake and the end of a chocolate cake (leftovers from my coffee morning on Tuesday). In the drawers below and the cupboard above are about 7 bars of dark chocolate, 6 bars of chocolate covered marzipan, 5 packets of chocolate liqueurs and about 6 packets of biscuits [all vegan and therefore mine]. There's also the end of a large bar of Cadbury's, another bar of Cadbury's, plus the Thornton's chocolates (still only two gone), which belong to my wife. (This is not to mention the large biscuit box full of sweets in anticipation of the next time we see the grandchildren.)

About the vegan stuff - at this time of the year, Lidl stock up with their Christmas goodies (German in the main) and very good they are, too. If my wife finds any that are vegan, she goes over the top and buys loads. Previously, I would have munched my way steadily through that lot between now and Christmas, then spent January and February trying to lose the extra weight I'd have put on. Not this year! This lot'll probably last me until next Christmas! grin

The Cadbury's stuff for my wife: when she began doing 5:2 (two months, now) she said 'I'm not giving up my chocolate!" So, since this method promised you could eat what you like on your 'up' days, I said, "Fine!" I put the large bar of Cadbury's on top of the cupboard - and she has 4 pieces whenever she wants.

In the beginning that was fairly often, but recently she's been wanting chocolate less and less. The last two strips have been up there for a fortnight at least - so, to those who are reporting a reduced desire for chocolate, we can add my wife. And me, come to think of it.

Blimey, I've rattled on! That's enough!

GreenEggsAndNichts Thu 25-Oct-12 11:37:33

Oh indeed, I do seem to find myself with a lot of spare time on fast days. Well, as much spare time as anyone with a toddler in the house can have. smile He's here with me now, helping to... stack Ikea bowls between myself and the keyboard while I re-format all the links for the OP for the new thread. I'm getting it ready now because this thread moves so fast, we've only got 30 posts left until this one ends and that is nothing for us!

GreenEggsAndNichts Thu 25-Oct-12 12:50:28

New thread started here!

TalkinPeace2 Thu 25-Oct-12 13:26:28

CLOSED THREAD

JOIN THE FUN ON THREAD 6

link by the wonderful GreenEggsAndNichts at 12.50.28

CLOSED THREAD

Ezzza Sun 27-Jan-13 05:51:41

THREAD CLOSED

Mumsnet threads have a maximum number of posts which is 1000. As this discussion is so popular our discussion has continued over many new threads.

If you would like to continue reading the discussion, here is a link to thread 6.

If you’d like to read the discussion from the beginning here’s a link to thread number 1.

If you would like to jump in and join the conversation we'd love to hear from you. Please join us on the latest thread to post your comments. As I'm posting this, the latest thread is number 10 which you can find here.

We soon outgrow the threads, but there's always a link to the next thread in the previous one so come and join us!

THREAD CLOSED

Ezzza Tue 29-Jan-13 14:00:32

THREAD CLOSED

A new thread has been opened since my above post, so if you'd like to post something, please join us on thread number 11

We soon outgrow the threads, but there's always a link to the next thread in the previous one so come and join us!

THREAD CLOSED

Ezzza Fri 08-Feb-13 10:41:08

THREAD CLOSED

A new thread has been opened since my above posts, so if you'd like to post something, please join us on thread number 12

THREAD CLOSED

THREAD CLOSED

A new thread has been opened since my above posts, so if you'd like to post something, please join us on thread number 14

THREAD CLOSED

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now