5:2 Diet Thread: Part Four! Sit down, have a cuppa..

(984 Posts)
GreenEggsAndNichts Thu 20-Sep-12 22:36:04

The continuing thread for those of us following either the 5:2 diet or the alternate-day fasting diet. Both are two versions of Intermittent Fasting, which you can read more about here.

The 5:2 diet was featured on Horizon recently, and essentially requires you to fast for 2 non-consecutive days per week. The other 5 days, you can eat what you like. Alternate-day fasting is just how it sounds; you fast every other day. By "fasting", we mean that we keep our calorie consumption very low, around 500 calories on average, on those days.

Here is a list of the links we've gathered so far about this diet. I hope I haven't left many out, but it was a 40 page thread! This is a good start for anyone, though:

First things first, here is a link to our previous thread, which we've outgrown. Lots of good support and ideas still to be found there. Here is the thread before that..

Here is the link to the BBC article regarding Michael Mosley's findings, which was featured on Horizon.

Here is a link to the first part of the aforementioned Horizon, subsequent parts of that episode are linked on that page.

A blog post here gives some of the scientific explanation for why this way of eating helps you to not only lose weight, but improve your all-around health.

A Telegraph article which comments on the diet and gives a brief overview.

A study discussed here gives commentary specifically addressing the effect of this diet on obese people (both men and women), with regard to both health and weight loss. ("After 8 weeks of treatment, participants had an average 12.5 lbs reduction in body weight and a 4 cm decrease in waist circumference. Total fat mass declined by about 12 lbs while lean body mass remained relatively constant.) it also mentions "Plasma adiponectin, a protein hormone that is elevated in obesity and associated with heart disease, dropped by 30%. As did LDL cholesterol (25%) and triglycerides (32%).")

Important link if you are currently your ideal BMI: this appears to suggest the benefits for women at a lower BMI might not be seeing the same health benefits that are found on men at their ideal BMI.

And for those already fasting, here is a link to 100 snacks under 100 calories. smile

Another food link, here is a link to the BBC Goof Food site, with a list of low-calorie soups.

We often mention basal metabolic rate (BMR) here. This refers to the amount of energy (calories) a person uses when at rest; so, the basic number of calories a person needs to stay the same weight. This number is often quoted as being 2000 calories for the "average" woman, but of course is different depending on how tall you are, how much you weigh, etc. Here is a calculator which will easily help you to find out what your BMR is.

A BIG THANK YOU to all who have been contributing, btw. Most of us are new to this diet. All of the links above have been posted by others in our previous thread, and they've been very helpful. Sorry if I haven't given credit where it's due, but it was just enough of a job getting them all in one post this afternoon. wink

Come join us, and tell us about your experiences with this diet!

Lotsofcake Fri 21-Sep-12 10:19:29

Hello all, I've been reading this thread, as many others have, with great interest and found it after googling 5:2 diet. I have only been following it for a week so far but I have to say the results have been impressive.

After two children I have gained about 4.5 stone and desperately want to loose some of that weight as I feel tired and frumpy. I love food and am a grazer. I have found 'diets' almost impossible as I am still able to graze. This constant grazing is how I have gained the weight. Always eating but never feeling full.

The first fast day was tough but I stuck at it and as many others I found I was less hungry after my first fast. I fasted again yesterday and I am feeling great. I have already managed to lose 5.5lbs since Monday. I know a lot of this will be water but clothes a less tight and my face is far less puffy. Some of this decreased hunger may be natural anyway as I have just stopped bf. Whoever said that bf helps with weightloss? Certainly didn't help mine as I was always super hungry. Anyway I am interested in this as a way of life for me as I don't want to end up with diabetes etc. So primarily I am using this as a weight loss tool in the first instance but then as a lifestyle choice.

Sorry for the long post but really wanted to share some of my success and to thank everyone for their fascinating stories. Ps I am a mumsnet poster newbie!

dontcallmehon Fri 21-Sep-12 10:24:43

Hi all,
I've done really well on this diet and have lost about 12 pounds since i started. I am now 10 stone 2 and haven't much weight left to lose (I'm 5 foot 7, so this is an ok weight).

I would like to lose another 7-10lb for vanity reasons if I can - but for the past couple of weeks I haven't lost a single pound. My weight loss up to now has been fairly easy.

I'm wondering if that's it and it won't work for me anymore! Trying to stay motivated still.

Phew, yesterday was HARD! But I did it so that feels really good. Haven't eaten yet, apart from a handful of dry cheerios. This definitely feels like it's bedding in as a way of eating, rather than just a diet, iyswim. Good luck to all fellow fasters/eaters. good weekend everybody.

WilfSell Fri 21-Sep-12 10:32:52

Marking place. Everyone ill in our house with really nasty cold so not fasting but not eating much either. Back soon when I rejoin the living...

GreenEggsAndNichts Fri 21-Sep-12 10:36:10

Thanks for the kind words everyone! thanks Be sure to visit frenchfancy's recipe thread here- I should have put it in the OP here but I forgot, ofc. sad We are so busy here, though, that I expect we'll need a new thread in a week or two anyway. Will remember it for then. (I did at least add the BMR link this time! grin )

Am glad I kept plugging away with my fast days this week. I figured it might be approaching TOTM, and sure enough, confirmation hit this morning. smile And it's a feeding day so I will probably have something nice, but so far it's just been the usual coffee.

Good luck today, fasters!

GreenEggsAndNichts Fri 21-Sep-12 10:39:08

Wilf oh good luck! We've got that here as well. sad Taste buds are completely shot so I'm not tempted by much yet. I did calculate yesterday how many calories were in the sucrose in my Beechams. Madness, I tell you. grin

Laska42 Fri 21-Sep-12 10:39:18

More thanks greeneggs you are fab getting all the stuff together for us.

Well ,my SP weight was pretty much right..the whole 2lbs loss didn't stick but I've lost another 1lb (well 1.5 actually but only count whole units !!) this week so that makes 9lb all told in four weeks and I'm dead chuffed with that ..

I'm treating myself to a day off today but have loads of really exciting cleaning and stuff to do .. . plus cooking YAY!

2012fan we old WW escapees call those 'you've lost weight' comments Non Scale Victories NSVs..I think we should institute these here also..

Congratulations on your NSV... I have a few of those recently too, Great isnt it?, (apart from those potentially embarrassing ones that i've noticed recently which mean I'm definitely going to have to buy a whole load of new knickers , before I embarrass myself in public! shock grin

Right! get the vacuum out!!

Good luck all fasters today.. I'm eating until Sunday ..

BuntCadger Fri 21-Sep-12 10:40:16

Fast day here. Really tough as was in hospital till gone 2am with ds2 who's not well. Was up previous night from 2-4am clearing up sick. And up previous nights with teething baby. I'm shattered but I want to stick to this WOE as life throws stuff at you and I want to be able to manage this long term. Weigh in tonight eek.

BuntCadger Fri 21-Sep-12 10:40:42

Oh and thanks greeneggs smile

Laska42 Fri 21-Sep-12 10:41:41

Blimey we do move fast! 6 messages in the time it took me to type mine!
Keep it up girls (and men if we have any here) do we?

LookBehindYou Fri 21-Sep-12 10:43:58

phlebas your weightloss is amazing. Congrats!

Fast day today. Am out of inspiration and can't think what to cook tonight.

GreenEggsAndNichts Fri 21-Sep-12 10:47:21

Lotsofcake Welcome to MN!

BF didn't help with weight loss for me at all. I think some of us don't lose weight until we're done BFing, unfortunately.

This WOE certainly does make you notice how much you graze (or previously grazed). Fast days leave me with loads of time to do other things, and on eating days I find myself snacking a lot less.

Laska42 Fri 21-Sep-12 10:53:44

I was the opposite .when I BF my son (h'es 22 now!) I lost loads and ate loads too .. in fact it was the last time I was under 9 stone. (far too thin for my bone structure though)..

LookBehindYou Fri 21-Sep-12 10:57:55

Jules 7lb is a fab weightloss. You will be benefitting from lots of other health benefits too. Also, slower weightloss gives your skin time to adjust and is more likely to stay off. Men lose weight completely differently so there's no point in comparing yourself to them.

ChazsGoldAttitude Fri 21-Sep-12 11:46:59

Feast day today - treated myself to a large veggie cooked breakfast this morning and now I am still so full I think I'll skip lunch and go to the gym instead.

My BMI is now below 35 for the first time in at least a year so I'm grin.

mommybunny Fri 21-Sep-12 11:49:28

So much activity since yesterday afternoon! Thanks GreenEggs for starting the new thread. I'm on a feed day and had my normal bowl of Alpen cereal for breakfast, and am rather hungry now even after a banana at about 10:30. hmm But in terms of "getting through" a fast day, I think a single substantial meal at lunch time is much easier than a tiny breakfast and tiny dinner. I felt just as hungry last night having had just lunch (with a teeny little square of dark chocolate in the evening, for which I'd saved calories!) as I did on the nights when I had a 250 cal dinner. And working through lunch is torture for me.

I'm too chicken to weigh myself, and I'm not seeing much yet in terms of looser clothing etc. But I will stick with it for at least the next couple of weeks, and see how it goes.

Good luck fasters!

Lotsofcake Fri 21-Sep-12 13:09:42

Thanks for the welcome greeneggs
Feed day today. I have noticed how mindful I am now about what I eat. For instance, usually on a Friday I'd be thinking about 'treat' food for tonight. Well, I just don't fancy junk. I'm looking for healthy veg curry recipes. I've found an amazing cauliflower curry recipe that I'll think I'll make.

Last night we had bolognese (from the hairy dieters cook book) and I stuffed a marrow with it. So filling. I'm looking at food differently. It's so nice to think I'm not on a diet too. I also love the tomorrow's another day philosophy. Brilliant!

Good luck with eating/fasting all.

mommybunny Fri 21-Sep-12 13:25:29

I'm thinking of getting the Hairy Dieters cookbook - but only if it has calorie counts in it (you'd be amazed at the number of "healthy" recipes and cookbooks that don't!). Does it?

bunjies Fri 21-Sep-12 13:25:51

Woo hoo shiny new thread. Cheers Greeneggs.

Buntcadger that sounds rough. Hope ds is feeling better today.

On a feed day but as with others just not that fussed about eating loads.

10 year old dd1 made me smile yesterday. She said "mummy your tummy is so small" (it isn't). She was comparing me to when I was pregnant with dd2 grin.

Lotsofcake Fri 21-Sep-12 14:15:37

mommybunny yes it does have the calorie counts with the recipes. I highly recommend it as there are plenty of options that are under 300 calories and everything has been very tasty that I have cooked so far. It doesn't include extra rice or pasta in the calorie count but I always try to find a low cal alternative to the pasta or rice therefor stretching my allowance further.

I've seen it in tescos for about £7 but I'm sure amazon do it for a similar price.

2012fan Fri 21-Sep-12 15:15:25

smile laska! Here's to NSVs - we should have a special emoticon for them!
PS I hope the BF for your 22yr old is a past tense BF!

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Fri 21-Sep-12 15:46:58

HOpe your DS is ok BuntCadger

Fast day - driving lesson first, trying to arrange a playdate for DS so I have something to do this afternoon. Made a carrot and coriander soup that's sitting in the fridge waiting til the children's teatime when I'll eat as well to avoid picking at their food!

Laska42 Fri 21-Sep-12 16:10:11

2012fan pleeease. Yuk! hmm Quite put me off my tea! he (or rather his dg) is going to make me a gran soon.. (a fair bit earlier than id have really wanted though)

Highly calorific Aubergine parmigiana made ready to go in oven when Dh gets home.. Is it too early for a start of the weekend wine yet?

Have a great weekend all, feasting or fasting.. ill see you all probably several pages on now .. be back on the 500 on Sunday now .

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Fri 21-Sep-12 16:15:47

Breast feeding is such a misnomer - with DS the weight fell off, think I was at pre-pregnancy weight within a month of his birth. DD however it only started coming off when I stopped BF, I think because stopping was slower so my appetite had a chance to slow too

Gratias, green thanks

laska I think the only men on the thread are by proxy... unless <pokes lurkdom> any of you out there spying on us?! grin

DontCallMeHun I'm almost 5' 7" and currently 9st 9lb this morning... I've literally only lost about a pound over the course of three weeks. I imagine that it's because we have very little to lose. I am committed to this as a way of life and so as much as I'd like to be a few pounds lighter it's no issue to me if that takes months to achieve.

(I wrote this at 10.30am and just gonna press post now... I should imagine I've missed a post or twenty!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now