5:2 Fast day recipe ideas

(207 Posts)
frenchfancy Wed 19-Sep-12 07:56:07

For those following the 5:2 diet and would like ideas for fast day meals. Please post your favourites.

Yesterdays lunch was carrot and coriander soup - 110 cals

recipe here: www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7003/carrot-and-coriander-soup it was delicious smile

Had squash and chorizo stew last week also very nice - 264 cals

Recipe here: www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4824/squash-and-chorizo-stew

Would love to see all your ideas.

poshme Mon 15-Sep-14 15:18:59

Marking place- just started 5:2 and struggling with ideas so thanks for all of these.

Blackhandbag Tue 09-Sep-14 21:30:32

Just had this;

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10033/aubergine-tomato-and-parmesan-bake-melanzane-alla-

It was absolutely amazing, so satisfying.

Obviously I hugely reduced the amount of oil, my aubergine dry fried lovely in my griddle with no oil.

I used 50g of feta crumbled through it and didn't use the egg and I only sprinkled 15g of Parmesan on top.

It was absolutely beautiful, like lasagne but about a quarter of the cals!

Only regret was not making another for Thursdays fast day!

Tuna salad:

Drain one tin tuna (105 cals)
Mix in a good handful of spinach(5 cals), a roast red pepper from a jar (40 cals), some mushrooms from a jar (10 cals) and a good dollop of salsa dip (30 cals)

Stir and chop so that it's all well combined.

Eat.

lagoon Mon 21-Jul-14 08:34:25

I'm marking my place, started this WOL a year ago and lost a few pounds and got a my 'goal' weight, then lost my mojo.... Need to get back into fasting to lose 3-4 pounds again then maintain!
I LOVE this Spicy Creole Prawns Recipe it's under 400 cals, as I eat nothing all day (live off sparkling calorie free water) and have a main meal and a small dessert such as yogurt in the evening, I find this works for me. It's slightly faffy to make but worth it as very yummy, I've still been having this meal pretty much weekly since I gave fasting a break, just not been measuring blush

flowerpowergirl Tue 13-May-14 14:46:42

Marking place. Thx

ErrolTheDragon Mon 05-May-14 16:31:12

TakeMe - should be fine. Before my DH started working mostly from home I'd often omit garlic from everything because he didn't want antisocial breath.

I am starting this WOL tomorrow. However I am intolerant to Garlic. Can I remove it from these recipes without much change to them do you think?

Breadandwine Sun 20-Apr-14 15:03:42

grin

Here's a treat for a NFD - but it's also calorie counted for a FD.

Mmm… TRIFLE!

grin

ErrolTheDragonsEgg Fri 18-Apr-14 17:08:24

> Is there any reason I can't just have a bowl of sprouts with some butter for dinner?

probably depends whether you live alone or not wink.

Breadandwine Sun 13-Apr-14 17:10:11

None at all! Just count the calories.

Areallthegoodnamestaken Sun 13-Apr-14 09:45:44

Hi guys, I'm starting tomorrow. Is there any reason I can't just have a bowl of sprouts with some butter for dinner?

Cooroo Tue 08-Apr-14 07:07:36

Sorry am jumping in having only skimmed previous pages but ... Does no one else fast all day and have 500/600 cals in the evening? All the 5:2 recipes seem to be 2-300 cals.

I can bump them up so not major prob just wondered!

Last night was quorn chicken stir fry (onion, red pepper, carrot = what I had in fridge!) with an Aldi sauce and a nest of noodles. Edible and came to just under 400. DP always makes up to his 600 with rich tea biscuits!

flowerpowergirl Tue 08-Apr-14 06:53:42

marking my place. just about to start the diet with DH tomorrow. bit worried about what to eat but there are some good ideas here smile

Breadandwine Tue 01-Apr-14 21:38:16

As regular readers will know I generally try and reduce my FD calorie dinners as low as possible - a <75 cals veg curry being my record.

But for some reason, yesterday, I thought I'd reverse that trend and see how many I could come up with.

I made a chilli non carne with chick peas - which was a m a z i n g! smile

Bu, even accompanying this with a portion of rice, I couldn't exceed 400 cals. This leaves enough spare cals for 100ml of beer before dinner and 50ml of wine with the dinner. And still you could have two squares of dark chocolate to bump you up to the 600 allowed for a bloke. grin

Simple store cupboard salad:

One jar of oriental/ asian salad - they often sell these jars in Lidl or BM Bargains. Contain beansprouts, shredded carrot and mushroom, and 190g drained contents is about 60 cals.

For protein, add a 100g tin of drained tuna flakes for 100 calories. Some tinned prawns or crab meat would work well too.

A squeeze of fresh lime juice and a splash of fish sauce turns it into a Thai salad.

The fat is probably from the beef, it doesn't look particularly high in fat.

Ugh, I hate corn flour too, I'd rather just have a slightly runnier sauce.

I love the look of this recipe:

Beef in black bean sauce

But I'm struggling to understand:

1. Where is all the fat coming from? The ingredients look pretty low-fat.

and

2. What is the cornflour for? Nasty!

BetsyBell Mon 24-Feb-14 17:16:21

That's reminded me - the nigella seeds taste better raw! Last time I made a batch for yogurt to accompany curry I had to throw the whole toasted batch away. Do toast the cumin seeds though, or just use nigella seeds.

98 calories eh B&W You could eat it with some dhal too. yum yum.

Breadandwine Mon 24-Feb-14 17:12:25

You can never have enough curry recipes, IME!

I'm always trying to lower the calorie count in my fast day dinners - here's one for less than 100 calories - my lowest calorie one yet! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now