5:2 Fast day recipe ideas

(202 Posts)
frenchfancy Wed 19-Sep-12 07:56:07

For those following the 5:2 diet and would like ideas for fast day meals. Please post your favourites.

Yesterdays lunch was carrot and coriander soup - 110 cals

recipe here: www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7003/carrot-and-coriander-soup it was delicious smile

Had squash and chorizo stew last week also very nice - 264 cals

Recipe here: www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4824/squash-and-chorizo-stew

Would love to see all your ideas.

Laska42 Sun 03-Feb-13 21:09:10

Obviously (left this out , you can use vegetable stock instead .. DUH! sorry)

speckers Mon 04-Feb-13 10:11:53

Hi all, hope you've had a good weekend. I found this recipe and it is delicious and only 236kcal per portion which seems too good to be true, but will be having it again tonight!

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1681/salmon-with-mustardy-celeriac-mash

Snowkey Mon 04-Feb-13 11:24:39

speckers that looks lovely - runs off to supermarket to buy some salmon.

Snowkey Mon 04-Feb-13 20:24:51

Speckers the salmon recipe is fab but it is slightly too good to be true, cutting the olive oil down from 1tbsp to 1/2 tbsp, the olive oil that wasn't in the ingredients list and they cunningly didn't count - I got 295kcal on MFP. But it is a truly glorious dish - not too fishy, very satisfying both on the tastebuds and the stomach....will definitely make again...possibly even a non fast night - low carb too! Would be perfect for entertaining other fasters. Thank you very much for sharing! thanks

BetsyVanBell Tue 05-Feb-13 10:38:30

Poached Salmon in lime & ginger with salad leaves & veg (serves 2, approx 250 cals per portion)

2 salmon fillets, skin removed (standard supermarket size 130g each)
1 small leek, sliced
1 tomato chopped into wedges
Juice of 1 lime
chunk of ginger, grated
jalapeno peppers
1 clove garlic
few fine slices fennel

Place the sliced leek and fennel at the bottom of a small oven-proof dish
Put salmon fillets on top
pour over the lime juice, & ginger, garlic, jalapenos & tomato.
Cover with foil or a lid and bake at a medium oven temp (160-170ish) for around 15mins depending on how well you like the salmon to be cooked - can always pop it back in the oven for a few mins if not done enough to your taste.

Meanwhile, steam half a head of broccoli and a handful (technical term) of green beans & mangetout, or whatever colourful, low calorie veg you fancy.

Arrange a generous load of salad leaves (my pref is babyleaf spinach, rocket & watercress) on a plate, top with the poached salmon and steamed veg and drizzle the limey salmon juices over everything.

nb the salmon mix can be poached on the hob in a heavy based lidded pan and if you like the salad mix can be wilted on the top at the end of the cooking.

BetsyVanBell Tue 05-Feb-13 11:30:05

Meant to say that fennel & peppers are all completely optional and often I'd stick some finely sliced celery in there too or instead of fennel.

Breadandwine Thu 07-Feb-13 21:16:32

5:2 is a Way of Eating, right? (Part no. 2)

Or it's a WOL (Way of living/life).

So we have fast days - feed days - and, one day a week, I reckon, feast days!

And on feast days you want something special. This cake is that something special! It needs no filling or icing (although you can of course include them) - it's just gorgeous as it is. At 134 calories per 42g slice, you could even slot it into your fast days, never mind your feast days!

nobreadisanisland.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/52-diet-vegan-carrot-cake-134-calsslice.html

MadameGigi Tue 12-Feb-13 10:54:34

I have been posting every meal I have during my fast days on a blog I started.
5and2er.blogspot.com

Today I'm having smoked salmon pate wrapped in lettuce for lunch and vegetable green curry for dinner, but I haven't posted these there yet...

Dotty342kids Wed 13-Feb-13 08:14:14

One of my fave new discoveries is actually a Nigella one and it's delicious, esp if spinach added to it. One portion is about 225 cals so enough for a chapatti too! www.nigella.com/recipes/view/butternut-squash-and-red-lentil-curry-2777
I'm fasting again tomorrow and will be eating this which looks delicious, for my tea and is only 303 cals www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2121652/harissa-chicken-traybake

Breadandwine Thu 14-Feb-13 00:23:45

Here's another calorie-counted bread recipe - a wonderful pie using bread dough instead of pastry and filled with a hearty, tomatoey veg filling. <270 calories per (large) portion.

nobreadisanisland.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/52-diet-ratatouille-pie-vegan-made-with.html

Every time I encase something in a bread dough I'm always impressed - and delighted - by how the flavour is enhanced. Of course I realise this applies just as well to other types of enclosure, including aluminium foil, but the way that the ingredients meld together in a bread casing absolutely ticks all my boxes!

Breadandwine Sun 17-Feb-13 01:22:24

How about this fun "Cake in a mug"? Ideal to make with your youngster. Only takes a few minutes in the microwave:

nobreadisanisland.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/52-diet-cake-in-mug-vegan.html

Laska42 Sun 17-Feb-13 19:29:48
BumBiscuits Tue 19-Feb-13 11:16:00

I wasn't going to have dinner last night but felt like something later on. I made a veg "chilli" with cauli rice and the whole thing was lovely.

Half a can of chopped tomatoes (next time will use a whole can, I had a half can lurking in the fridge needing used up) heated up in a small non-stick frying pan
Add a large grated carrot
Add about 10 sliced up black (green would do) olives
About a teaspoon on minced garlic
7 or 8 chopped up thin green fresh chillies (I like things hot and spicy)
30g of tomato puree
some water from the kettle to keep it moist

While this was bubbling away I whizzed up half a cauliflower in the food processor with a few sprigs of fresh coriander. I transferred the cauli/coriander into a bowl. I picked out two large lumps (crap processor), sliced them and threw them into the chilli. Micro'd the whizzed cauliflower, covered with a plate, for 3 mins.

When done I poured over the chilli and topped with 15g of grated cheese.

The calorie count was 276 for the whole meal. I'd probably use less tomato puree if I used a whole tin of tomatoes next time which would reduce the count.

It was a huge bowlful, very tasty and filling.

Aftereightsarenolongermine Sun 24-Feb-13 13:52:40

Prawn noodle stir fry is my favourite fast day standby:-

Half tablespoon sesame oil 60 calories
M&S peashoot & veg stir fry 280g 80 calories
M&S rice vermicelli noodles 50g 185 calories
Diced chilli garlic & ginger to taste around 20 calories
2 tablespoons Kikkoman gluten free soy sauce 20 calories
M&S large peeled king prawns 140g 98 calories

Total 463 calories (if my maths is right)

That's a massive portion sometimes I eat the whole lot sometimes not! Obviously fry above soak noodles & then add into pan give a good mix & eat.

Oh if you like your stir fry extra spicy (like me) avoid breathing on people the next day.

Laska42 Mon 25-Feb-13 21:47:41

Aubergine Chickpea and Spinach curry

serves 4 huge portions at about 200 cals each

1 x 400g tin chickpeas
2 medium aubergines, cut into cubes
2 onions chopped
A couple of sprays of olive oil
2.5cm knob of fresh root ginger, grated
4 cloves of garlic,
1 hot chilli pepper, seeded and chopped (more or less depending on how hot you like it)
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp Turmeric
3 cardamom split
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
225g spinach, chopped roughly
Bunch of fresh coriander chopped
Vegetable stock cube made up to about 400ml

Stir fry the onion in a couple of sprays of oil to brown, adding a little stock if it seems to burn
Add the aubergine cubes and just enough stock to keep them moist,. Add the ginger, garlic chilli, coriander and cumin and stir fry a little taking care not to burn the spices. Add the tomatoes and their juice, the turmeric the cardamom the rinsed chickpeas and the rest of the stock or water Bring to a fast simmer the turn down heat and cook for 25 minutes, or until the aubergine feels soft but is still in cubes. Add the spinach and cook for a further minute or two till the spinach is wilted . Add the chopped coriander ,

Season with salt and pepper, and serve. This is even better made the day before you want to eat it . and good with a dollop of 0% fat yoghurt and some more fresh chopped coriander

plecofjustice Mon 25-Feb-13 22:06:24

Just finished fried Jackfruit - the below does 2
1 small unripe, immature
or mature jackfruit (500g)
3ml cumin seeds
5ml vegetable oil
3 chopped onions
2 chopped, hot chilies (?)
2ml turmeric powder
40ml desiccated coconut
20ml lemon juice

with courgette noodles and a few cashew nuts - 353 cals in total! Very very yummy!

Celery soup serves 6
1 whole head celery incl leaves
450g potatoes
1 onion
1tbsp butter
900ml veg stock
150ml milk
bay leaf
nutmeg
Chop onion and celery finely. Peel and dice potato.Fry onion gently in butter until a bit soft. Add potato and celery. Cook gently with lid on for 5 mins. Add stock and bay leaf. Simmer for 30 mins until soft. Whizz in blender. Return to clean pan, stir in milk and a grating of nutmeg and gently heat through. 110cal per serving, if you manage to get 6 servings out of it.

Breadandwine Sat 02-Mar-13 11:15:49

Here's a 125 calorie 'cheese sauce' - vegan, so it's healthy, and very tasty:

nobreadisanisland.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/52-diet-cheese-sauce-vegan-and-125.html

Laska42 Sun 03-Mar-13 18:57:48

Sugar snap peas :- a whole 150g bag.. eaten raw in front of the computer..
..53 calories [grin[

Laska42 Sun 03-Mar-13 18:58:14

grin even..

sausages51 Thu 07-Mar-13 12:06:29

Here's a spicy tomato soup. Tin chopped toms,3 tablespoons butter beans,handful chopped peppers,garlic,smoked paprika, chilli flakes,pinch sugar,lemon. Just roast peppers & garlic. Meanwhile heat toms n beans in one pan. Add roasted peppers & Garlic,TSP paprika,chilli powder and flakes and sugar. Whizz with blender. Add squirt lemon juice. Add hot water until consistency you like. 270 cals'v filling and healthy and cheap! Best served next day.

Dotty342kids Tue 12-Mar-13 16:28:54

One pot Moroccan chicken. Only 324 cals and looks lovely. You could have with a little brown rice to take you up to 400 or so cals. www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2468641/moroccan-chicken-onepot

daddyorchipsdaddyorchips Tue 12-Mar-13 17:08:46

Chilli chicken soup (though more like a stew!)

Ingredients

2 chicken breasts - poached and shredded
1 green and 1 yellow pepper - chopped
1 onion - chopped
1 clove garlic - crushed
1 chilli - finely chopped
1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 400g carton passata
500ml water or veg/chicken stock
1 tin kidney beans
1 tin borlotti beans (or any others you fancy)
1-2 tsps chilli powder (dependent on how spicy you like it)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp cayenne papper
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp dried parsley

Method

Fry off the onion, peppers, garlic and chilli until soft (10-15 mins - I use spray oil, but olive oil is fine). Add the tomatoes, passata, stock/water, beans and spices. Stir well and simmer for 25 mins.

Add the chicken and parsley, stir well and simmer for a further 5 minutes.

Done.

MFP tells me that a portion of 1/6 of the recipe is 160cals and 1/4 of it is 240.

freerangeeggs Sun 17-Mar-13 18:38:11

Yellow Thai Veg Curry

1/2 aubergine
2 leeks
150g fine green beans
1 small can of bamboo shoots
1 400ml can of Kingfisher light coconut milk (could use another brand - just check cals)
Simply Thai yellow curry paste (1/3 of pack)

Chop all veg up and cook for a few minutes, until leeks start to wilt. Use spray oil.
Add curry paste and cook for another few minutes.
Add coconut milk and simmer until the veg is soft.

Serve on its own or with a poppadom (only 37 cals). Makes two big portions.

I usually add some fish sauce to taste too. Sometimes vary the veg.

Egg White Omelette

1 whole egg
1 egg white
1 tsp oil

Heat oil in a small frying pan. Whisk egg/egg white with salt/pepper. Pour into the frying pan. Flip when it's a bit bubbly but firm. Cooks really quickly. Could sprinkle on a teensy bit of parmesan.

hamish19 Thu 21-Mar-13 22:09:46

Hi, i just started and did my first Fast day on Monday and then on Wednesday. Which i found quite easy! I made Soup which was a breeze to make as a bit ago i bought a Soupmaker. You can make Smooth Soup in 21mins and Chunky in 28, you can also make Smoothies. But i don't want to just do Soup all the time and any nice Breakfast tips Please! Really need to lose weight! Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now