5:2 Diet Thread

(971 Posts)
kotinka Wed 08-Aug-12 10:11:14

http://www.healthyfellow.com/511/alternate-day-fasting-interview-part-1/

Thread for anyone wanting to try the 5:2 diet mentioned on Horizon. It involves picking 2 fast days a week and eating 500 calories in one meal on the fast days.

The other 5 days, you eat a normal diet note to self, does not mean pig out for 5 days

Give it a try & let us know how it's going.

alfiemama Wed 08-Aug-12 13:06:59

Nanky, it's still probably better than you would normally do, so just eat lowish today and perhaps do another day tomorrow.
Although, I know I would be tempted to make today the pig out day and start tomozblush

CJCregg Brazil Wed 08-Aug-12 13:10:00

Can I join in please?

I feel like a bit of a fad dieter. In the past year I've done Dukan, low-carb and various others, and all I do is lose weight and then binge eat.

I watched the Horizon programme and was blown away by the simplicity of it, and the health benefits.

So, today is also my first fast day. I've had black coffee, tea and water so far. Thinking about what to have for lunch. I hate counting calories. Still, at least it's only 500 grin

I'm really not hungry so far shock

MeanMrsMustard Wed 08-Aug-12 13:12:35

Thanks ILoveStripeySocks. I havent tracked for a while (neither have most of my mfp friends) and it really helps me to see other people on there using it too.

I'm another one who has done lots of diets over the years. I remember an unofficial weightwatchers plan where you split your points unevenly across the week so youd have lots to eat one day and less the next. It seemed to nudge weight loss quite well, so I'm keen to see what the results of this diet are like.

I think I'm going to split my 500kcals into 2 meals too for the beginning at least.

I'm in too, I'm useless at diets and have no willpower, sounds good doesn't it but this looks really simple and I like the idea of 2 on and 5 off. I'm 43, 11 stone and 5'7" and would like to be able to wear my old clothes again.

I'm planning on Monday / Weds as the fast days, so far today I've had some salad with half a portion of salmon, strawberries and a little yoghurt, should be about 250 cals. Small portion of couscous with tomato and veg sauce tonight. I don't think I'l be able to have just one meal so I'm splitting it between two at first.

I'm doing it with Dh, who doesn't need to lose weight but does want the potential health benefits. Plus we might save some cash eating less.

Good luck everyone.

ILoveStripeySocks Wed 08-Aug-12 13:24:19

I just had a look through my (vast) cookbook collection, and found a very think one called 500 for 500!! Its 500 healthy & nutritious meals for under 500 cals, I think this may be a godsend.

ILoveStripeySocks Wed 08-Aug-12 13:25:36
kotinka Wed 08-Aug-12 13:29:10

alfie - just water, it was a bit extreme, but that's hospital. I did wonder if they just forgot to take the Nil By Mouth card down!

hopkinette Wed 08-Aug-12 13:34:55

I also watched that, really interesting and I'm going to give it a go. I've got lots of vegetables that I need to use up so I think I'll start fasting tomorrow, possibly.

nutritiondata.self.com/ is a fantastic website that someone linked me to, which lets you search for about a million different foods and gives you a huge range of values for them - not just calorie count but also protein, sodium, and shitloads of other information.

Does anyone think it'd be good to have a thread specifically for 500-calorie meal plans?

ILoveStripeySocks Wed 08-Aug-12 13:37:29

hopkin, that might be useful, though I am going to do 2 x 250 cal meals I think (tostart with anyway).

kotinka Wed 08-Aug-12 13:38:32

hopkinette sounds a good idea, especially since this is going to work best if you eat your 500 calories in one go and then go into the other half of your fast.

Would you set it up pls?

wheresmyperry Wed 08-Aug-12 13:40:45

I'm in!

Did my first fast day yesterday, which went incredibly well. I felt hungry by 8pm (only ate a bowl of cereal with milk for breakfast, then just water), but not ravenous, and even after making dinner for the children I wasn't tempted to eat anything. I went for a one and a half hour walk during the day, and fasting seemed to have no effect one way or the other on my energy level. I felt... fine.

I'm eating today, then planning to fast again tomorrow. I'm going for a 5:2 rather than ADF.

wheresmyperry Wed 08-Aug-12 13:45:37

I only ate one meal yesterday, but curious as to why one meal only may be best on fast days? Mosely said in his BBC article that there are no hard & fast rules as there simply hasn't been enough human testing done to determine what works and doesn't. He himself at two light meals.

I was also wondering if, really, in 5:2, the 2 days should be consecutive. But I'm not going there!

ILoveStripeySocks Wed 08-Aug-12 13:48:26

On Twitter, Mosely said that he has had to cut back to 6:1 now, as he was losing too much weight! He has 2 meals a day on his fast days, so it must still work fine.

kotinka Wed 08-Aug-12 13:50:40

wheresmyperry, I think it works best because after about 10 (approx guess) hours with no food you've burnt up your glycogen stores and you're using energy from your fat stores. Shorter breaks between meals mean you top up your glycogen so you never quite get into fat burning mode. But you're still restricting calories so you probably would see some weight loss.

Quote from eat stop eat - "After only 24 hours of fasting, the amount of fat being released from people’s fat stores (lipolysis) and the amount being burnt for fuel (oxidation) had been significantly increased by over 50%.

hopkinette Wed 08-Aug-12 13:54:32

Cool, I'll start it smile

I'm also a bit apprehensive about just having one 500 calorie meal on fast days, to be honest... But if the evidence says that's what gives maximum benefit I'm just going to have to suck it up!

wheresmyperry Wed 08-Aug-12 13:57:20

Yeah, Kotinka, that's why I was wondering about the 2 days in a row - that a longer period of fasting would have more impact on the underlying health goals.

For me, eating 2 meals on fast days would be more trouble than it's worth - as it's twice you need to worry about food. I'd prefer to have my normal breakfast, which is under 500 anyway, and then tough it out until the next day. But in the absence of hard evidence, I suppose whatever gets you through!

Stripey - interesting Mosely's gone down to 6:1. I wonder how that's played with his bloodwork?

kotinka Wed 08-Aug-12 13:58:46

Maybe he lost as much fat as he wanted to?

wheresmyperry Wed 08-Aug-12 14:00:52

Good for him! If 6:1 works as well as 5:2, clearly we'll all be downgrading to 6:1 when we feel our weight is where it needs to be.

greenwichgroove Wed 08-Aug-12 14:05:29

Marking place

drjohnsonscat Wed 08-Aug-12 14:14:53

Interested.

I lost a lot of weight on a vlcd and have managed to keep most of it off for the best part of a year through eating a lot lot less most days - my normal days are probably at about 800 cals (and basically skipping breakfast so there's a 16 hour fast in there anyway) and then I save the rest for dinner out and wrong days where I eat whatever the hell I can! It's sort of working so far.

But interested to see that there's a medical reason to do a version of this too. It's interesting that last week it was all

- avoid yoyo dieting
- always have breakfast
- eat little and often

and this week all that's out the window. Just goes to show how little we still know about this stuff. VLCDs aren't the mainstream "recommended" way forward either but it worked for me so I think the medical profession has got a lot of thinking to do on what works and what doesn't.

nankypeevy Wed 08-Aug-12 14:27:50

Dr John - that's what I wonder about too!

I have a theory that because (careful I don't trip you up with my sweeping generalisation here) most GP's and dieticians don't have weight issues themselves they don't "get it"

EVERYTHING I have read about diets goes on about eat this it'll fill you up.

Smashing. But, I have no idea what it feels like to actually BE hungry. If I eat, or don't eat, I don't get this sensation - maybe a bit of tummy growling, and a lot of short temperedness, but not "hunger"

So, I'm sunk - I eat because I am sad, or bored, or happy, or busy. Or, because I'm making dinner and it's in my hand so I nibble away as I cook - and beforeI know it, I've eaten a meal's worth of raw carrot and ingrediants...and still eat the dinner because, well, it's dinner time now.

I don't get hungry.

I think this could be a really good way of re-educating myself. Fingers crossed.

wheresmyperry Wed 08-Aug-12 14:30:21

Up to now, I've always gone very carefully - watch what I eat, exercise, avoid losing more than 1 pound/week. That is sustainable, I lost weight and my weight has stayed more or less the same for a year. I've never done a fad diet.

I'm more interested in the possible underlying health benefits of this.

I'm not overweight, but am in the upper end of a normal BMI, and realise I really should be in the lower end of the 'normal' range.

drjohnsonscat Wed 08-Aug-12 14:36:24

Actually for me nanky, that's spot-on what VLCDs did for me. It helped me work out what it meant to be hungry. And helped me to understand that I could be hungry and it would be ok.

In a normal diet you are holding out for the next meal which might sate you but in a VLCD there isn't a meal coming so you get used to living with hunger (which actually abates after a while anyway). I was also interested to find that hunger doesn't just grow and grow - it grows, then it goes away, then it comes back again. It sort of ebbs and flows. I think I was living with the fear that hunger would eventually overwhelm me (and I do suffer with blood sugar problems so there is a real risk that low blood sugar would just stop me getting on with my day) but a) the hunger doesn't overwhelm - it sort of stops bothering you after a while and b) the blood sugar seems to be much more under control when you eat less, for some reason.

Anyway, it's all v interesting. And I'm interested in the Alzheimers stuff - it's such a horrible disease that we must find a way to stop.

HipHopSkipJumpomous Wed 08-Aug-12 14:52:11

Had my M&F Fuller Longer meal for lunch - I really do love these. Today it was Asian Style hot & sour chicken noodles - 380cals.

So I've done 495 cals today (peach, milk in coffee, lunch).

Nothing more this afternoon and evening.. Just water & herbal teas. But I can do anything for one day & tomorrow I can eat what I like.

nankypeevy Wed 08-Aug-12 14:57:08

dr john - VLCD, is that something ike Lighter Life? That makes sense if it is - previously I've been very disparaging of things like that...after all, it's not really in Weight Watchers interest for me to lose weight. It's in their interest for me to lose, and then gain, and then lose, and then gain, and then lose....

But, the truth of the matter is that I CAN'T do it on my own. Just tried, and gained 3" on my hips.

Am away to google LL...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now