5:2 Diet Thread

(971 Posts)
kotinka Wed 08-Aug-12 10:11:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

alfiemama Wed 08-Aug-12 11:18:52

Kotinka, the reviews look good thanks

Found this link which is interesting.

pufasandfructose.blogspot.com/2012/04/obesity-my-unexpected-final-conclusion.html

kotinka Wed 08-Aug-12 11:34:00

Arana Wed 08-Aug-12 11:55:28

Hey I'll join this smile

Put 10kgs on in the last 2 months since I changed meds and started eating loads of shite.

My fast days will be Monday and Wednesday - we get fruit boxes at work, so I'll have a protein shake for breakfast and snack on fruit for the rest of the day and keep dinner small.

nankypeevy Wed 08-Aug-12 12:02:12

Right.

I am a good 4 stones overweight. Ok, really 5.

I decided I Was Not Going To Be Fat and Forty - so, put on a stone and half in tme for my birthday. Sheesh.

This 5:2 makes sense to me. Will try it, there's no "bad foods" and no Must Do's - so, it'll suit my panicky approach...

Friends fo mine are meeting for a weigh in on a Saturday morning. £5 into th pot. If you gain, £10. Pot to be used for a blow out treat once we are thinner...genius.

So far today, I've had 2 poached eggs, 2 slices wholemeal toast, 0.5tin beans and an apple. And, about 4 cups of tea.

Am off to my fitness pal...

ArthurPewty Wed 08-Aug-12 12:06:05

jollydiane Wed 08-Aug-12 12:25:41

I have started this. It really helps to drink plenty of water on your fast days.

flapinko Wed 08-Aug-12 12:30:31

Can I join please? Been meaning to do this for ages, but like another poster said, I'm not that up to speed with calorie counting so ended up guessing and botching it. Think I need a bit of support to get me through the fasting days too, as so difficult to exercise willpower not to pick when you are cooking kids tea, followed by DH's. Interested to see other people's fasting meal choices and how they cope.

MeanMrsMustard Wed 08-Aug-12 12:32:10

Hi, Can I join in too?
I have read the other thread and bits and a few articles, but have not yet watched the tv programme. I'm going to try and find it later on. It sounds very interesting.
I am exactly 13 stone and a size 16 at the moment. I have had a few attempts at losing lately, but really am getting depressed about my looks now, so really need to sort it out.
I have already eaten about 300 Kcals today, so i'll probably have my first fast day tomorrow.
Oh, and i'm on my fitness pal as MeanMrsMustard if anyone wants to add me.

TheCunningStunt Wed 08-Aug-12 12:38:43

I just had half a slice of toast. Am quite hungry now I must say

miniwedge Wed 08-Aug-12 12:38:44

Hi, I've come across from the other thread.

Today is my first day, I am 36, 5" 1 and weigh 9st 7lbs. I want to lose that 7 lbs in time for my wedding.
I'm very fit but have a little extra fat around my middle, arms and boobs to get rid of. I do around an hours exercise 4-5 days a week.

I had two slices of wholemeal toast with marmite and low fat spread this morning, a cup of tea with one sugar and a skinny latte around 11am.

Am now having a mug of bovril.

Tea tonight is two boiled eggs, lots of lettuce, some grated carrot, red pepper.

jollydiane Wed 08-Aug-12 12:47:01

It is quite amazing. I think we have all forgotten what it is like to feel hungry we are so used to grazing on food.

Some suggested foods are :
1 Beetroot salad with peeled apple. The peel of the apple has all the nutrients. To avoid the waste stew the rest of the apple and give to children/babies as weaning food or have it on your non fast day
2. Plain omelette
3. Sticks of carrot
3. Wafer thin salmon and rocket salad with beetroot.
4. Tinned mackerel in tomato sauce with rice and green beans/veg.

kotinka Wed 08-Aug-12 12:48:42

ILoveStripeySocks Wed 08-Aug-12 12:49:14

Someone asked about a book ... the UpDayDownDay diet by a bloke called Johnson is supposed to be good. He advocates one day fasting/one day not though, but I believe he goes into the science of it all.

Just had my lunch, I wasnt even ravenous when I had it (miracle). The cup-a-soup was rank, so I am going to be better organsied for my nest fast day & make my own veg soup.

nankypeevy Wed 08-Aug-12 12:51:09

Buggrit.

Just counted up my calories - and my healthy and nutritionally balanced meal of 2 poached eggs, 2 slices wholemeal toast, a scrape of butter and 0.5 tin beans is...778 kcal.

This is what comes of trying every diet invented, doing them all badly and retaining nuggets of twaddle from each one...Slimming World says eggs and beans are "free"

I've been following the 5:2 for two hours - and blown it already.

Buggrit.

TheCunningStunt Wed 08-Aug-12 12:52:06

Veg soup is a great idea. Always fills me up

jollydiane Wed 08-Aug-12 12:52:34

Remember it is not about eating nothing (unless you are doing the alternate day fasting). You are aiming to eat no more than 600 calories on the fast days). Keeping busy really helps as well. If you are getting the rumbles put the kettle on and have hot water. I found that I didn't need tea/coffee and my body had become accustomed to hot/warm water.

ILoveStripeySocks Wed 08-Aug-12 12:53:40

MeanMrsMustard, have added you on MFP smile

alfiemama Wed 08-Aug-12 12:53:56

Oh it was me stripey, thanks I will check it out. I love self help booksblush

Just had a tin of tomato soup at 260cals which was quite satisfying. I agree we have forgotten what real hunger is.

Niceupthedance Wed 08-Aug-12 12:55:44

I'm in!
Had a meal at 3pm yesterday
7am this morning had a bowl of berries
Will have half a carton of veg soup around 2pm then see how I feel at dinner time.

I am really trying to stop eating refined carbs and aiming for 70% raw food on non fast days. I like the idea of the health benefits of fasting... Maybe too good to be true though?

ILoveStripeySocks Wed 08-Aug-12 12:55:54

I plan to keep my fast days low-carb, as carbs make you hungrier. Today wasnt low carb though, as I didnt prepare properly for it sad

HipHopSkipJumpomous Wed 08-Aug-12 12:57:47

nanky your post made me laugh!!! (not in a mean way - In an I CAN RELATE way) grin
What a bummer - just shows how quickly the calories add up! I know if there is butter in the house, I will gain weight smile

ILoveStripeySocks Wed 08-Aug-12 12:59:16

nanky, do you think you can fast for the rest of the day? I really do recommend you plan your fats days the day before, check on myfitnesspal what cals your food is & then stick to it. It will make life much easier with hopefully no slip-ups smile

ILoveStripeySocks Wed 08-Aug-12 12:59:45

Not fats day! FAST! sorry blush

TheCunningStunt Wed 08-Aug-12 13:01:11

I'd love a fats daygrin

nankypeevy Wed 08-Aug-12 13:04:54

hip hop - that's a good thing! This is the sort of thing that usually leads me to think "might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb" and I'll set about hoovering up everything and anything available...I've been doing rather a lot of "investment eating" in the last three months readying myself for the deprivation of a(nother) diet. 3" on the hips worth. Sheesh. It's just illogical.

Socks - yes, I don't feel remotely hungry. And, am about to go out for a yomp to the bank and supermarket. So, that's good. And, am going to the supermarket for soda crystals And Not Any Wine Or Lardy Items. No.

Planning is the key to being slim (something I have observed, but not mastered), but, my planning usually gets lost in the mire of "wheresma" and squabbling and chaos that is my life...

However, I do feel enouraged that I am "only" 100 and odd kcal over. That's better than normal!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now