Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sterilisation after DC2?

(3 Posts)
KlingybunFistelvase Thu 24-Nov-16 09:04:41

All very hypothetical for me ATM but wonder if anyone has done this.

DH and I are TTC DC2. If we have another baby, I will probably end up with an ELCS. I want to ask to be sterilised at the same time.

I have had a terrible time with hormonal contraception lately and don't really trust barrier methods like diaphragm / cap etc, though I haven't ever used them, just read that statistically they are less effective. I hate the waste involved with condoms, so don't want to use them long term.

Has anyone got any advice or maybe done something similar? Any advice much appreciated.

scaevola Thu 24-Nov-16 19:44:42

It can be carried out then, and you need to discuss it with your consultant.

Two things to be aware of:

a) some won't do it, because best practice says it is better not to permanent remove fertility within a year of major life events (and childbirth is included in that)

b) despite saying that, it's permanent, there is a fail rate to female sterilisation and it seems to be a bit higher when the op is done with a CS (perhaps because clips wander a little more readily if sited when there is stil, quite a lot of abdominal distension)

KlingybunFistelvase Mon 28-Nov-16 09:36:46

Sorry sca! This had dropped right down my "I'm on" list, so didn't see you had posted. Thanks, that's really helpful info. If we manage to conceive soon I think I'll raise it with my consultant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now