Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Copper coil....GP or hospital for fitting?

(5 Posts)
spydie Mon 19-Sep-16 20:41:07

Almost 8 months post baby and really need to get this sorted....have been putting it off as scared it will hurt!

But where is likely best to have it done... the GP is a 5 min drive from home, whereas the hospital is a 40 min drive... I'll need to go for a couple of appointments regardless of where its done, and the GP is preferable given proximity to home and that I'll need to take the baby (although for fitting I won't but will have to go alone).

Can they still use the local or numbing gel at the GP!?

FurbysMakeSexNoises Mon 19-Sep-16 20:45:09

GP will be fitting them all the time too. No evidence numbing gel really makes a difference. If you're not long postnatal the fitting is likely to be very straightforward so don't sweat it too much.

DOI am a coil fitter wink

spydie Mon 19-Sep-16 21:01:02

Is 8 months considered not long then!?

Smears are virtually painless but take forever (hour plus....!) as cervix is apparently high and tucked up and they can never get to it.

I was induced and the birth was horrific up until the epidural, and then ended in a forceps delivery ...I think I'm scared of that kind of pain...VE led on my back with back to back baby was unbearable!!

FurbysMakeSexNoises Tue 20-Sep-16 08:32:11

Not physically long. We often have women all shapes and sizes- some times we need to get them to put their hands under their bum to lift their pelvis up. Go and have a chat with whoever does the coil fitting at the GPs and hopefully they'll put your mind at rest.

doorhandle Tue 20-Sep-16 08:40:12

My mirena and after that my copper coil were fitted by a gp at the drs surgery, there was a nurse there too to hold my hand

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now