Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Fell pregnant in Zika risk country.

(9 Posts)
user1472267984 Sat 27-Aug-16 04:53:07

I don't normally post on here but I need to hear some experiences! I got married in July and we are now in Thailand on our honeymoon. I wasn't aware of the risks of Zika in Thailand before we came and am now pregnant.

I have only been off the pill for 6 weeks so must have caught shortly before or during the honeymoon. I had all of my jabs 8 weeks ago and told the nurse we would be TTC after the wedding but she didn't mention anything about the risk of Zika. Only to plaster myself in repellant, which I have done.

Incidentally, this is the first time in my life I have actually been bitten on holiday - eaten alive in fact! I have large, angry, painful patches on my legs and feet.

Official travel advice (as I only found out since I got here) is to postpone or rearrange travel to Thailand. Especially in your first trimester because of the risk of birth defects.

I will be heading straight to my GP when I am home but I just wanted to find out if anybody else has been in this position and what happened?

And before the mums almighty mount their high-horses, I don't need to be told I am irresponsible or daft for not reading travel advice etc, believe me I already know! I can't feel any more guilty than I already do.

Idefix Sat 27-Aug-16 19:28:00

I think it is highly likely that the advice about avoiding being pregnant/conceiving was not on official sites when you last saw your travel nurse. Just checked the website that I use and the information has changed.

I would start using condoms to avoid becoming pregnant whilst on the rest of your honeymoon.
The other illness to worry about since you have been bitten is dengue fever which from memory cand take up to 3 weeks from being bitten to getting ill.

Yy to seeing your gp when you return.

I would also advise checking your insect repellant and seeing how much deet it contains and if necessary see if you can buy some locally that is 50% deet. You need to wear the spray day and nigh as there are some mosquitos that spread dengue in the daytime. Also reapply when you get out of the water.

I hope that you get the all clear when you return home op.

scaevola Sat 27-Aug-16 19:36:00

This is the contraception topic.

As you have found out, no form of contraception is 100%.

I'm afraid there isn't much you can do, other than seek medical advice, ideally from an infectious diseases expert, when you can.

I think there are blood tests which can establish if you have been infected (even if symptom free). If you repost in 'general health', it might be more likely to spotted by a poster with relevant expertise than in here.

rollonthesummer Sat 27-Aug-16 19:39:58

I would start using condoms to avoid becoming pregnant whilst on the rest of your honeymoon.

But the op is already pregnant?!

user1471950254 Sat 27-Aug-16 19:45:32

I would contact a medical professional for advice while away and use condoms as Zika can be passed sexually. Above all try not to worry as although advice on Thailand must have recently changed there is little you can do. Also continue to use lots of mosquito sprays and try to avoid high risk areas where possible. Good luck and hope you and baby are okay

Idefix Sat 27-Aug-16 19:50:50

Misread sorry op, I would still pursue the highest deet you can though. As before see your gp as soon as you get back.

PikachuSayBoo Sat 27-Aug-16 19:51:32

Yes. Use condoms incase your Dh has caught zika but you haven't, and you should use condoms for six months now.

Have you got 50% deet repellent? That's what you need to use to avoid mozzie bites. It's safe in pregnancy upto 50%. Sunscreen first, then deet. Avoid going out in the evenings.

UK advice to HCPs is to only offer blood test to pregnant women if they're having signs of zika virus, headaches, fever, etc.

user1472267984 Tue 30-Aug-16 16:07:23

Thank you for your replies. I am booked in to see GP tomorrow as the midwife doesn't make appointments until 8 weeks, even under these circumstances. But in the professional opinion of the doctors receptionist, I probably have nothing to worry about hmm

I'm feeling calmer about it all now I am home. There's nothing I can do at this stage so what will be, will be.

LyraLupin Sat 10-Sep-16 10:30:49

Hi do you mind letting me know how you got on? I too recently fell pregnant on honeymoon to Thailand (unaware of zika risk having deliberately changed travel plans from central america to avoid) and am now freaking out. I am 7+5 if my dates are correct - have seen GP who is writing to an infectious disease doc and will get back to me. Not overly superstitious but will keep my fingers crossed for both of us!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now