Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mirena fitting but with Strep B found - is this a mistake

(5 Posts)
Beetlejuice1 Tue 23-Aug-16 11:32:57

Hi
I am supposed to be having Mirena fitted tomorrow.

The nurse did a pre consultation and after I came out I had the feeling she was maybe trying to talk me out of it. She spent most of the time covering all the risks and didn't mention the benefits at all. She also mentioned that they would like to offer gas and air for pain relief but were not allowed, so to take both paracetamol and ibuprofen before I go in.

Hmm I am worried about the pain of fitting but the potential benefits of the mirena sway me to look beyond that. (Obvs realise it does not suit everyone but hoping I get lucky.)

However on my mind is that she said the pre swabs they did showed Strep b. I can't find any info on if this is a contraindication for fitting a coil. She didn't say either way but did follow this news with the list of risks. Could it increase the chances of PID or other infection?

Appreciate any knowledge anyone may have on this.

TIA

Beetlejuice1 Tue 23-Aug-16 15:48:42

MaximumVolume Tue 23-Aug-16 15:55:54

I had no pain on fitting...really none. I've currently got a Mirena and previously had a copper IUD. Don't know about the Strep B but I'd have thought that if there was a problem the nurse would state it explicitly. If you're worried, just ask.

Mandatorymongoose Tue 23-Aug-16 16:44:08

I would love gas and air for a mirena fitting because gas and air is lovely I've never needed more than paracetamol though and the worst pain I've had is some period type cramps for a couple of hours after my first one (on my 3rd now).

Double check with the nurse but as far as I'm aware strep B is pretty commonly found hanging out in the vagina not doing any harm and isn't much to worry about unless pregnant.

Beetlejuice1 Wed 24-Aug-16 13:46:41

Thank you both. Well I am just popping the paracetamol and ibuprofen before I go. I am relived to hear neither of you were in agony.
I love gas and air too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now