Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Which contraception?

(4 Posts)
jerseygal78 Wed 13-Jul-16 22:57:58

I've got an appt tomorrow to discuss contraception but no idea what to go for.
I got on with the pill for years but started getting migraines so they took me off it and I suspect they wont let me get back on.
Copper coil gave me agonising heavy periods and really heavy ovulation pain
Depot made me bleed continuously the whole time I was on it (9 months) and pile on weight
Minipill (cerelle) made me bleed pretty much continuously the 6 months I was on it.
Reluctant to just rely on condoms. Is it worth giving mirena a shot given the above?
All suggestions welcome!

apatheticfallacy Thu 14-Jul-16 00:46:24

I had continuous bleeding with the implant (real pain in the arse!) but no periods at all with the mirena coil. When I discussed it with my GP she said there are no guarantees but everyone reacts differently to different contraceptives. It's a bit uncomfortable on insertion but as you've had a copper coil in side you know the drill. If it doesn't work out after a few months you could always rethink things then?

There's always the diaphragm if you fancy a non-hormonal option - they're less popular here than in the US but no reason why it couldn't work for you?

apatheticfallacy Thu 14-Jul-16 00:47:16

That was supposed to say inserted, not inside - but I suppose that works too! grin

imwithspud Thu 14-Jul-16 01:00:29

I've been on the implant for a year now and it's been mostly fine. I did go through a phase of having a period every 2 weeks which was a pain but now although irregular they're about 6-8 weeks+ apart now which I don't mind, just means I have to be prepared just in case I come on unexpectedly.

Not really had any other side effects and it's been great for me but I know other women have had nothing but trouble with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now