Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I need advice regarding the implant please!

(3 Posts)
ReginaTheVelociraptor Mon 13-Jun-16 14:59:28

I've had the implant for almost three years (due to be removed in December). At first, everything was perfect - no pregnancies, no periods, no hormonal issues etc. For the last six to eight months it's been awful. I get random periods that can last for a month or more with bad cramping. Sometimes they'll stop for three or four days then continue. The doctor advised that I could have it out but she took swabs to check everything and I'm 100% well.

If I had this one removed and a new one put in, will I continue having the same issues do you think or would a fresh one 're-set' to how it was before? I can't deal with these issues anymore but we're not ready to try for another baby at this point and I don't like the pill (I'm very forgetful) or the injections (last time my periods took 18 months to come back).

Thanks!

ellie264 Wed 13-Jul-16 19:47:53

I've had my implant 1.5 years and lately my periods are getting longer and longer - I was on about 3 weeks last time, and then it started again after a week! Because of this I am having it removed in a week. The pill makes me sick so we are just going to use condoms. I hope think I will feel better without loads of hormones in me.

FloraAshley Sun 17-Jul-16 17:20:26

I had the implant for just over 5 years (I had the first one replaced after 3) and most of the time had no periods at all. Then out of there blue six months before i chose to have it removed I started getting periods. They were all over the place, never closer than a monthly between but no real set pattern. They would also vary in length between 2 days and 2 weeks! The cramping could be incredibly painful and sometimes there were no symptoms at all!
I didn't get anything checked out as I was planning to come off contraception to start trying to conceive but wonder if my age (30 is about to hit) meant a change in hormones that affected the way the implant was working.
Over all I was very happy with mine but don't know what would have happened if I'd stayed on it longer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now