Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

AF getting heavier

(3 Posts)
ThatFriskyFeline Wed 25-May-16 23:10:04

For the last few months my periods have been getting considerably heavier, to the point where I bleed through super plus tampons after 3 hours. Cramps are lasting longer too.

I have had a copper coil for the last 18-24 months. It's made my periods heavier, but nothing quite like this. I'm still regular, but thanks to my last 5 or so cycles I've gone from an average 29 days to an average of 34-35 days.

I don't bleed between cycles, but the last few months have been getting more and more unpleasant. I'm up to date with my smear.

Is this even worth going to a GP for, or is this pretty normal? If off all contraception my cycles would be a normal 28-29 days, and the actual AF would be about 5 days and normal (pretty much cramp free and normal flow levels). I now bleed for approx 8 days, of which approx 3 extremely heavy.

Any feedback/suggestions/experience welcome!

scaevola Sun 12-Jun-16 14:04:40

Yes, I think it is worth going to see your GP or a family planning nurse.

A change to the pattern of your periods is something that may well need investigation, and this doesn't sound like settling-in with your coil as you've had it so long.

simplydivine05 Mon 04-Jul-16 12:21:39

I went through this. I now taken ibuprofen for the first two days to stop the flooding. I still have to change my super tampon every 30 mins to an hour for the first day and a night time pad isn't enough on its own overnight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now