Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mirena Coil all gone a bit tits up.

(6 Posts)
HamletsSister Mon 16-May-16 11:43:24

Agh! Need a bit of support ( and anyone who has had similar).

I had my 4th coil fitted by my lovely GP last Monday. All went well and it was followed by the usual light (but black) bleeding. Very, very minor. I need the coil for contraception. It is also part of HRT now as I use it in combination with oestrogen gel.

So far so good. This weekend I began cramping. Bleeding hot heavy. Long story short, major blood loss, coil removed and antibiotics as they are assuming infection.

So, Netflix day! But, feel dreadful and would be interested if anyone has had the same. Luckily DD has plenty of emergency pads in her drawer as I haven't had a proper period for 14 years.

I like my coil.

HamletsSister Mon 16-May-16 19:36:29

Taking horse pill antibiotics but sore.

wearymum73 Mon 16-May-16 19:40:19

I love my merina too, I have just posted about me getting spotting for the first time in 12 years.
I did get a infection in the fitting of my first, antibiotics cleared after a few days, I knew within 24 hours I had got a infection. I also got a random infection after about a year on this current one...but again antibiotics fixed in no time at all.
I hope your antibiotics work soon

HamletsSister Mon 16-May-16 19:57:40

Thanks. I just felt for the poor GP who was so apologetic and flustered as I gushed everywhere. Netflix helped. I hope yours gets sorted. Mine has always been brilliant.

BG2015 Mon 16-May-16 22:09:54

I had my second Mirena coil fitted in November 2014.

The first one I wanted removing because I was getting monthly bouts of thrush. I thought the coil was the cause but it appears by ex partner was the culprit as he kept reinfecting me. But when I went to get it removed it had gone awol, I had scans to find it and so I eventually had it removed in Jan 2014.

I met my current partner in Sept 2014 and decided to try the coil again. Everything has been great, no bleeding, a bit a breast tenderness until 8 days ago when I started bleeding, bright red blood, clots, flooding then nothing for 12 hours and then it comes again. I was awake at 2am stripping the bed.

I've been to my Drs tonight, he can't see the threads (but there is still blood there) so he's referred me for a scan. I'm hoping it hasn't moved.

I'm 47 with high blood pressure so the coil suits my situation. The lack of monthly periods has been wonderful as I do a lot of exercise. Today I feel bloated, crampy and miserable.

Hope you get your situation sorted.

Raquers84 Thu 19-May-16 07:18:41

Hiya I'm in a similar situation had my coil for just over 4 years always had very light hardly there periods which are always regular well this month it came 10ish days early I had cramp and by belly looked swollen went doctors he referred me for a scan he asked if I had checked my coil but I hadn't because of the period so when I did get to check it my strings felt a lot shorter so went back to see a nurse she said she couldn't see them at all Also checked when I got home and i couldn't feel them she took a urine sample to send of for testing and put a request in for a emergency scan. Any way the urine sample came back negative so just waiting for a scan to see what's going on. My stomach has grown and I look about 3/4 months pregnant (going off my last pregnancy) and I still have cramps and lower back ache hopefully it's nothing serious

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now