Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

does having the copper coil out hurt

(29 Posts)
Smallbear86 Tue 10-May-16 14:14:40

I'm getting this removed this week due to constant thrush BV and being hospitalised with a kidney infection which is still lingering.
I've attempted to have it removed twice and the nurse told me it was going to be extremely painful and wouldn't do it. It really did hurt going in so I'm scared anyway but j want my body back again now I think every other month I have an infection and this one I got is nasty and the gyno at the hospital told me the bugs can stick to the coil so you never get rid of them. Have constant back ache and can't stop urinating no matter what I do.
Want to get it out but scared it will hurt and I will faint or soemthing please help

ShowOfHands Tue 10-May-16 14:17:43

I didn't find it sore at all. It took 2.5 seconds and was a slight pinching sensation.

Dancingbea Tue 10-May-16 14:20:23

I pulled mine out myself as I got fed up with the side effects and problems getting an appointment to have it removed. It was fine.

biscuitkumquat Tue 10-May-16 14:21:58

Mine was fine too. Over very quickly

JasperDamerel Tue 10-May-16 14:23:44

I had mine exchanged for a new one yesterday. I didn't even feel it coming out.

Smallbear86 Tue 10-May-16 14:28:07

Thank god I feel relieved now I'm going to have another go at doing it tomorrow just been scared as k have literally been in so much pain for a month and was diagnosed with pelvic inflammatory disease aswell and they said it would really hurt me.
What problems did you have if you don't mind me asking ? I currently have thrush aswell at the moment

Smallbear86 Tue 10-May-16 14:29:31

Also any pain or spotting after removal? Hoping having this removed clears up my water infections once and for all

Smallbear86 Tue 10-May-16 16:04:26

Anyone else

AriaTloak Tue 10-May-16 16:06:23

I haven't had mine removed but whatever you do, don't remove it by yourself

Smallbear86 Tue 10-May-16 18:28:09

I'm
Not that brave can't even rip off a plaster

ButtonsAndBows Tue 10-May-16 18:48:40

I'm a wimp and it didn't hurt at all (I cry at smear tests for comparison) . I had cramping afterwards like period pains and I think light bleeding, but it wasn't bad at all. I found it worse having it put in

Smallbear86 Tue 10-May-16 18:56:46

I'm
The same I wonder how I had children

JessieMcJessie Tue 10-May-16 18:59:46

Painless, my GP did it and just asked me to cough at the right moment. I was surprised as remembered the insertion being v uncomfortable.

Cinnamon2013 Tue 10-May-16 19:04:32

I felt virtually nothing. I thought it hadn't even been done yet. For me it was much less of a deal than insertion (and that wasn't bad). I wonder if they mentioned pain because of the thrush? I can see that might make it uncomfortable having a speculum in

Smallbear86 Tue 10-May-16 19:07:48

I think I'm just traumatized from insertion as they had to clamp my cervix and I went into shock and fainted afterwards but having so many issues and recurring infections it's not worth it anymore I have chronic pain now and I never had one UTI it ten years now I have them constantly thanks ladies reassuring to hear this so hope it doesn't hurt and I'm lucky

Ifiwasabadger Tue 10-May-16 19:12:45

No, honestly didn't feel it. My consultant told me to come on day 4 of my period as my cervix would be slightly open, not sure if that helped....

Smallbear86 Tue 10-May-16 20:20:59

Oh ok maybe that's why it's two wks till my next period don't know if j can wait any longer will try this wk again thankyou

Dilligufdarling Tue 10-May-16 21:16:54

Like the others I barely felt the removal. Just a quick tug, no pain at all and the insertion of it took nearly an hour!

Similar to you I had mine removed due to bv that just wouldn't go away. Within a week it has entirely gone and has never come back (4 years later!).
The dr was adamant that it wasn't caused by the coil, but it definitely definitely was.

Smallbear86 Wed 11-May-16 07:19:39

I know my constant infections are from the coil aswell but they say there's no link

donajimena Wed 11-May-16 07:26:57

Thats why I had mine out... constant BV. I just snapped one day and begged the family planning clinic to remove it.
It was very quick and far less painful than insertion. I've been infection free since. When it was removed she said that there was 'a bit of a smell' blush I was STI free so it was definitely the coil.

Teds77 Wed 11-May-16 09:20:05

Like others - hurt going in, really didn't feel much when taken out.

Smallbear86 Wed 11-May-16 09:37:56

Don't know if it is that causing my issues or soemthing else but least if it's out I will know for sure

ButtonsAndBows Wed 11-May-16 11:31:23

Can't you ask for gas and air or something strong (epidural?) I am sure if it's a big issue to get it out they will offer something. My first smear was done under a general anaesthetic (well, I was having an op anyway) because I couldn't handle it .

Dilligufdarling Wed 11-May-16 12:15:25

I'd put money on you being completely free of symptoms within a month of it being removed.
Tbh it worked feast as a contraceptive for me, but that could well have been because my body confidence was so low due to the symptoms that sex just didn't happen!

JessieMcJessie Wed 11-May-16 12:44:43

I was prone to a bit of BV with mine too, never had a problem since it went. However more worryingly I found out when trying to conceive that I had a blocked tube. Had never had any symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease so came as a shock, but I do wonder if the coil was to blame. We had to have IVF.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now