Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

natural cycles contraception, anyone used it?

(8 Posts)
GrassWasGreener Mon 04-May-15 09:56:51

So am looking into other contraception. I get side effects from the pill, my periods generally without the pill are heavy and difficult. Was considering the copper coil, but wouldn't want my periods even worse. Wanted to try out the injection but again, if i have side effects from the pill, would i get side effects from injection that last 12 weeks with nothing i can do about it. pill side effects for me range from bloating, IBS pain, tiredness, short temper, and anxiety, leading to heart palpations. Saw this company, naturalcycles and all seems very simple and effective. They have done clinical trials, and are saying this natural method that involves you measuring your basal temp each day is 99.9% effective. Has anyone used it? Would be great for other peoples opinion or experiences. It all seems to make sense scientifically.

scaevola Mon 04-May-15 10:07:25

I'm sure there was along thread about Natural Family Planning, but I can't find it right now.

Yes, NFP can work well. It gets the best results if you combine temperature, mucus, other symptoms and calendar. So you need to be assiduous in tracking your cycle.

There are various providers of tuition in NFP, and no one company is going to have an insight that isn't available to any/all other tutors. It is something you need to understand thoroughly and only embark on once you are sure you know your cycle. Helps enormously if you are regular.

dementedpixie Mon 04-May-15 10:08:49

are they really saying it is as effective as a vasectomy?? I would think that is unlikely.

dementedpixie Mon 04-May-15 10:15:22

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/contraception-guide/Pages/natural-family-planning.aspx - gives info and says you should get training from a natural family planning teacher

scaevola Mon 04-May-15 10:16:53

extract from standard textbook of contraception about fail rates www.contraceptivetechnology.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/CTFailureTable.pdf

If you are trying to compare effectiveness, it's generally better to look at the 'typical' not the 'perfect' use rate. And it's 24% for NFP.

But the 'perfect' rate isn't so far from what is claimed here. The snag is that most people aren't perfect, every cycle, every time.

That said, I used it for quite a while successfully, but we used condoms in the possibly fertile times (which I calculated very, very, conservatively and on the back of observing cycles for ages).

JasperDamerel Mon 04-May-15 10:22:06

I used NFP (using the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Wechsler) for the 6 months between coming off the pill and TTC. It was great at that time, and I didn't get pregnant until I wanted too, but I wouldn't be happy using it long term.

The really big downside for me is that (like most women) my libido is highest when I am at my most fertile, so it's actually very frustrating. And you have to be very consistent about taking your temperature at the same time first thing every morning and getting enough sleep, so it's not so good if you work changing shifts, have children who wake you up at night or get jumped on by toddlers first thing in the morning.

If you live a fairly regular lifestyle and are happy to not have the sort of sex that can get you pregnant even if you really, really want to, then it's pretty good, and I really enjoyed all the stuff I learned about me body. It was good for general health, too, because charting highlighted when stress, lack of sleep etc interfered with my cycle.

GrassWasGreener Tue 05-May-15 14:03:07

Thanks everyone for your experiences and advice

Lovage Thu 07-May-15 12:44:19

I used Persona for about 10 years (+ condom/ diaphragm / doing other things in fertile period). It worked fine for me and I never got pregnant. But when I did try to have kids, it wasn't easy, so I may have had low fertility while using Persona.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now