Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Migraine sufferers, what do you use?

(9 Posts)
Tea1Sugar Tue 29-Apr-14 16:09:48

I'm only 2 weeks postnatal but in that time I've had my first two migraines ever with flashing lights. I'm thinking about contraception again and everything I've googled says no to the combined pill which is really annoying as I was on it for best part of ten years with no problem. The GP has said these new migraines are a result of my hormones dropping post-pregnancy. I don't want the mirena, I hated it. So what else is there

Arkina Tue 29-Apr-14 16:10:58

Im on the mini pill. Hasnt affected my migraines one way or another

Noyoucantwatchpeppapig Wed 30-Apr-14 22:05:35

I have struggled with this problem for years. Took combined pill with no effect on migraines but not allowed it anymore. Mini pills and implanon cause endless frequent periods and low mood in me. TTC at the moment but considering mirena after that.

Damnautocorrect Wed 30-Apr-14 22:34:01

Mefenamic acid. It's the only thing to touch them

Damnautocorrect Wed 30-Apr-14 22:34:53

Ah sorry should have read the thread properly! I'm on the mini pill I take the mefenamic acid for the migraines

KenDoddsDadsDog Wed 30-Apr-14 22:37:28

Mirena , pill just killed me.

madamginger Wed 30-Apr-14 22:42:04

I used femulen with great success and then of course they were discontinued. I haven't found another that I like and I've tried microgynon, cilest, Yasmin, evra patches and norimin.
I've had DH snipped because I couldn't cope anymore trying yet another pill.

MeerkatTargaryen Mon 05-May-14 09:58:53

I was in cerazette but I still had menstrual migraines on it during withdrawal bleeds. Yep one of those unlucky ones who still had periods angry. that was with being on a preventative too for the migraines.

MeerkatTargaryen Mon 05-May-14 10:00:30

ps I am a chronic migraineur so an extreme case. You might be a lot better. hormones don't agree with me in any way though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now