Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Contraception.... Want to keep breastfeeding and also stay sane...

(6 Posts)
Littlepaleale Wed 23-Apr-14 23:09:37

Seeking advice and experiences of others as am getting in quite a tizz about this and being increasingly snappy to my OH who thinks i'm bonkers... My situation is this...

Before TTC for DC2 I was on Yasmin (combined pill). This was as much for stabilising my mood as for contraception. I have a history of severe depression and through being pregnant and breastfeeding DC1 I worked out it was caused by a hormone imbalance. Before taking Yasmin, the only times I didn't have crashing low moods through my cycle were when i've been pregnant or breastfeeding. Once I stared taking it, I got back on an even keel.

Now, I need to decide what to do next.

I'm pretty sure that as my LO (8months) is taking in more solids, I can feel my mood changing as the demand for milk is going down. He feeds the same number of times in a day but is definitely taking less milk each time (BLW but going great guns and surprising us all by how much he's digesting...)

In a real dilemma as i want to keep breastfeeding for as long as possible, which rules out going back on Yasmin. However, I CANNOT go back to 'depressed me'. That would not be healthy for my LO or our little family.

My GP's recommended I have an Nexplanon implant but I'm not keen on the idea having read horror stories. She seems to think that it would have the effect of stabilising my mood as well as contraception.

Anyone been in a similar situation re hormones and depression?? Any positive experiences of Nexplanon?? What other options do I have? TIA

Sorry, long post!

Sunflower1985 Fri 02-May-14 19:07:13

From what I've read from the breastfeeding network advise the combined pill is worse for supply early on and is less likely to have an effect once bf is established. I'd send them an email to check for your particular brand, but it might be ok or worth trying and then if it's a problem you can stop.

AuntieStella Fri 02-May-14 19:15:17

I thought that, once DC is over 6 months and eating solids regularly, the combined pill can be used safely. is there another GP at your practice you could see? Or an FPA clinic within reach?

Minime85 Fri 02-May-14 22:43:04

had the implant. not positive I'm afraid. sent me barmy. doesn't mean wouldn't suit u though and can easily be removed

soupmaker Sun 18-May-14 16:25:15

I had the mirena coil fitted as my periods came back when DD2 was 6 months despite EBF.

I had awful hormone problems prior to falling pregnant and was on Prozac for off the scale PMT. I could feel the horrible feelings and mood swings coming back. Only had the coil for a couple of months but it does seem to be helping so far.

NaturalBaby Sun 18-May-14 16:28:41

I tried a couple of different pills then the injection and eventually the coil. That did the trick but I'm starting to feel depressed and hormonal a couple of years down the line so am going to look into alternatives again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now