Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

advice needed. too old at 36 for normal pill been given mini-pill.

(17 Posts)
Minime85 Wed 26-Mar-14 10:51:58

hi just after some advice and experience really. wanted to be prepared as in early early stages of dating and wanted to have pill in case things went well. I've got 2 dcs never struggled to conceive for which I know I'm very lucky.
for years was on ovranette I think it was. tried to have coil fitted and twice wouldn't go in and was just horrendous experience. then tried implant (just awful) gave that a yr but then had it taken out. stbexh then had snip so all good.
went docs this am thinking (foolishly) it would be easy. Dr went on and on about coil, and I'm just not going back there, and on and on about my age. is 36 really too old for pill? now reading lots of negatives about mini pill.
anyone make me feel any better? (or at least not as old has Dr had made me feel!)

2madboys Wed 26-Mar-14 10:54:45

Hi Mini - I've been taken the mini-pill (cerazette) on and off for 10 years after DS2 was born. Due to my very occasional migraines (less than once a year!) they wouldn't prescribe the normal one hmm. The first time I stopped taking it after a while as I had very frequent and unpredictable periods. After a while I decided to try it again and have no problems, and indeed no periods at all! Currently wondering whether DH should go for the snip but I will probably keep taking it even if he does as it's so good not having periods!

expatinscotland Wed 26-Mar-14 10:57:20

No. Royal College guidelines are that, provided you do not smoke or have history of DVT, you can take the combined pill till menopause.

Google Royal College of Gynaecologists.

piratecat Wed 26-Mar-14 10:58:49

it varies between people, i had occasional bleeding for the first few months, then no periods for about two yrs. It was great!!

I only came off it as i am single, and not mingling, if you get my drift.

piratecat Wed 26-Mar-14 10:59:18

ah right, i am a smoker so that's why i couldn't take it.

expatinscotland Wed 26-Mar-14 10:59:30

Go to a FPC, too, or see a different GP. Be firm about the coil, too, FPCs push them, too.

Minime85 Wed 26-Mar-14 11:01:48

thanks everyone. I think I will hold off taking it yet and just see what happens with the dating. all the posts about bleeding in between has really put me off as don't want to be potentially starting a new relationship like that!

expatinscotland Wed 26-Mar-14 11:01:52

If you had lots of side effects with implant, you may find the mini pill doesn't work for you.

As it is, I'd see another GP because 36 is not old and this one is ignorant, still believing in myths about being over 35 and the combined pill.

I had no periods with cerazette for 3 years apart from very occasional spotting.

Netdoctor says:

If there are no medical reasons why you cannot take the pill and you do not smoke, you can take the pill until your menopause. However, the pill is not suitable for all women. To find out whether the pill is right for you, talk to your GP, practice nurse or pharmacist.

You should not take the pill if you:

are pregnant
smoke and are 35 or older
stopped smoking less than a year ago and are 35 or older
are very overweight
take certain medicines (ask your GP about this)

You should also not take the pill if you have (or have had):

thrombosis (a blood clot)
a heart abnormality or heart disease, including high blood pressure
severe migraines, especially with aura (warning symptoms)
breast cancer
disease of the gallbladder or liver
diabetes with complications or diabetes for the past 20 years

Minime85 Wed 26-Mar-14 11:02:27

thanks expat I will take a look at that and go back possibly for a second opinion.

Minime85 Wed 26-Mar-14 11:04:20

expat that's what worries me. implant was OK bleeding wise after a while but the thrush I got was literally agony. but Dr just said today she thought it wasn't linked. I did say well I've never had it before or since! funny that!

expatinscotland Wed 26-Mar-14 11:05:33

Yeah, well, she also still believes myths about combined pill usage.

Minime85 Wed 26-Mar-14 11:05:40

I love that's what I thought and had combined pill for a long time before no problems at all. working full time hard to get to docs so now going to have to go back again I think!

Seeline Wed 26-Mar-14 11:06:34

I had the mini pill after I had DD - I was 36. Had it for 15 months as still BFing and didn't have a single period.
Went back onto the combined pill at 38ish and continued with that for another couple of years until DH had the snip.
GP had no problems as blood pressure OK, no DVT, no smoker etc. I would get a second opinion.

Rockdoctor Wed 02-Apr-14 15:45:46

I am 48 and peri-menopausal and have just been prescribed the combined pill as an alternative to HRT. My GP was quite happy to do this based on blood pressure, lifestyle etc..

It's great and I know from previous experience that it works for me, but I am also livid as five years ago, another GP wouldn't prescribe it for me for the same reasons as you Minime (specifically the occasional migraine). I refused the coil and then endured a year of foul moodswings and an unwanted pregnancy on Cerazette before giving up.

Please go and see another GP.

Minime85 Wed 02-Apr-14 20:34:02

thanks rockdoctor I think I will. I don't drink or smoke. i had a couple of very bad headaches when i was going through break up from my ex but fine since then. have very heavy periods though but I thought pill helped with that?!

think I'll head back on Friday x

summertimeandthelivingiseasy Thu 03-Apr-14 16:59:44

I took femodene quite happily until I was 49 and then the practice nurse asked if I had migraines..........

Then suddenly, it wasn't suitable. I have had occasional migraine all my life, and never hidden the fact.

I was offered mirena hmm which I did not want and given cerazette and other pops, which I have given up on as it caused too many problems.

Most COCs are licensed up to the age of 50, if you are healthy, bp ok, and don't smoke (then it is 35).

TBH, I quite like my hormone-free life now (apart from the frequent, irregular bleeding, but that is another story).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now