Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Getting a coil fitted. Questions about the bleeding afterwards and abstaining before

(9 Posts)

I've booked an appointment at GPs for a coil consultation and swabs etc. For this week. Didn't realise they would be necessary but never mind.

Now - heres the question. For long complicated reasons I only really have sex once a fortnight. So I would like to think about timing the coil fitting. I've read a couple of threads on here which suggest it is necessary to abstain from sex before fitting to ensure no pregnancy. This doesn't seem to be consistent though so would be interested in experiences on this.

Secondly. How long did you bleed for after fitting? And was it full flow or spotting?

I'm planning on opting for a copper coil btw

tia.

goodasitgets Tue 11-Mar-14 16:34:55

Pass about the sex question
Bleeding - it's best to have it fitted on your period, mine was fitted on day 4. Period just carried on really. It has made my periods longer and therefore days not bleeding less - still a 28 day cycle but I bleed for 8 days
No other issues with it though smile and fitting was v easy

spongebobsmallpants Tue 11-Mar-14 16:38:50

They do a pregnancy test before its fitted, I hadnt been told not to have sex. DTD the night before it was fitted.
As for bleeding I had nothing at all just a few cramps.
I guess everyone is different though

kalidasa Tue 11-Mar-14 16:49:19

They told me not to have sex between the end of the previous period and the fitting, to be sure you weren't pregnant. So it makes sense to try to time the fitting for the end of your period anyway.

I didn't bleed much after the fitting, just spotting, but I did have mid-cycle spotting which I don't usually have for a couple of cycles, and my periods are heavier and a bit longer with it in. Actually less painful though, surprisingly! Mine is also a copper coil.

Thankyou.

I have my pre fitting consultation tomorrow so I guess I'll see what they say on the sex front.

It would still be helpful to hear experiences of how long the post fitting bleeding lasts.

NurseyWursey Wed 12-Mar-14 15:28:53

Hope everything goes okay, would you mind me asking a quick question?

I'd really like the coil as I'm sick of hormonal contraceptives, however I don't think they'll let me have the coil as I've never had a baby. I know women have been refused on this basis before (or so I've heard and researched) but I was just wondering if anyone has had it?

MiniTheMinx Wed 12-Mar-14 15:34:55

I went last week to enquire about the coil. The nurse said that women can have the coil even if they haven't had children but sometimes the cervix isn't (I think she said) soft enough or something in women who haven't had DCs.This makes fitting it more difficult.

NurseyWursey Wed 12-Mar-14 15:36:10

Ah right, thankyou!

Sidge Wed 12-Mar-14 15:53:08

Women who have never been pregnant or given birth CAN have a coil - it's just the cervical os is smaller and tighter and can make fitting more tricky.

You should ensure you are not pregnant when having a coil fitted - having it fitted during a period means that 1, we know you're not pregnant and 2, the cervix is slightly open and it can make fitting easier.

If not during a period then it's ideal to ensure you haven't had unprotected sex since your last period - that can mean staying on the pill for example, or using condoms.

Bleeding after insertion does vary between women - some only bleed for 24-48 hours, some will bleed for longer. If fitted whilst on your period you may just bleed for the length of time you would have bled for. For some women it's just spotting, for others it's a heavier bleed requiring a pad/panty liner. Tampons are to be avoided for the first few weeks.

Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now