Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cerazette

(10 Posts)
kazzawazzawoo Tue 11-Mar-14 09:14:52

I started taking a generic form of cerazette about 6 weeks ago, 5 days before my period was due (I was desperate for it to help stop my painful periods!). My first period started when due and was still painful and heavy. It lasted 7 days as usual, then stopped. Nothing for 2 weeks, then I started spotting, which after a week turned into my period (on the day I would normally expect it), not quite as heavy as usual and not painful, just a little ache, managed easily with 2 paracetamol. Normally it would have stopped last Friday, but I've had spotting since and today slightly heavier again.

I'm grateful that it's not been painful so far, but hoping the bleeding will stop sometime. Anyone else had on off bleeding most of the time? Is it worth changing to a different minipill or should I give it more time to settle down?

Spotting mid cycle isn't unusual, I get that most months, but the dr suggested the minipill might stop that too.

kazzawazzawoo Tue 11-Mar-14 14:46:21

I know there are lots of threads about cerazette, but just wondered if its worth waiting for the bleeding to settle down - if it does - and how long that might take.

wobbleinprogress Tue 11-Mar-14 14:58:33

I had periods for the first few months, but very light ones, they then stopped altogether. Everyone is different but if you can I would give it a few more months for things to settle down.

kazzawazzawoo Tue 11-Mar-14 15:12:24

Thanks. I think I can wait a bit longer, as I'm not having the extremely painful periods I had before. Just wish it would stop for at least a week.

spammytrollface Tue 11-Mar-14 15:29:09

I tried cerazette. Bled a bit, for weeks and weeks none stop. Changed back to microgynon in the end which suited me brilliantly. Now got a Mirena and I love it.

MrsBucketxx Tue 11-Mar-14 15:33:06

im on it and don't get any periods anymore its really good i had a coil which didn't suit me at all.

it did take a few months to settle though now its brill

kazzawazzawoo Tue 11-Mar-14 15:38:40

I've had a mirena before and didn't get on with it.

Is it normal for the bleeding to start again four days after my period ended (normal when taking cerazette, that is!)?

kazzawazzawoo Wed 12-Mar-14 18:47:40

Bleeding not only started again yesterday, but today is really heavy hmm

Catswiththumbs Wed 12-Mar-14 19:00:23

when I took cerazette I had random bleeding/spotting for a while until it settled down. Then nothing- it was great!

It sorted out my heavy periods and I've come off it now (no contraception needed) and have a regular cycle, 4 days moderate to heavy bleeding controllable though, flooding has stopped thank god and that's it.
I did gain a little bit of weight, but that might have been my lifestyle too. Libido stayed the same. No spots. I really couldn't fault it.

I got a mooncup, which truly has changed my periods to an almost positive experience...

kazzawazzawoo Wed 12-Mar-14 19:11:01

I struggle with a mooncup due to a possible prolapse, however used it last night and this morning it was full and overflowing hmmhmm

Today the bleeding has been heavier than ever in my life, quite scary actually hmm I can't go in like this for long. I think I'll be asking if I can swap to a different pill when I see my gp next week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now