Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

If you had the mirena removed because the hormones didn't agree with you, what contraceptive do you use now?

(10 Posts)
Ebb Sat 22-Feb-14 23:06:14

I've had the mirena in for 3 years and it works great as a contraceptive as it's killed off my libido completely. I'd happily never have sex again which is obviously destroying my relationship. I'm going to ask for it to be taken out but 100% don't want any more children. ( I know no contraception is foolproof but you know what I mean! ) If you had the mirena taken out, what did you end up using? I've tried various pills but I either bleed for 2 weeks or bleed every other week and microgynon sent me loopy so I'm loathe to try any other hormonal contraceptives which leaves the copper coil, condoms or sterilisation or am I missing some genius thing that stops me getting pregnant but doesn't turn me into a sexless, bad tempered, depressed bag?!! ( Dp won't consider a vasectomy despite having been warned that if I accidentally fall pregnant I'll take two bricks to his bollocks myself. wink )

AnythingNotEverything Sat 22-Feb-14 23:09:28

I've only ever used the pill until we settled on condoms. I couldn't cope with the crazy hormones and mood swings. Condoms suited us fine. We've used them for years now.

I don't fancy a coil or an implant. I'm trying to build DH up for a vasectomy once we've finished having babies. He's not keen.

KittyMcAllister Sat 22-Feb-14 23:13:13

In the same boat. Hormonal contraception just doesn't agree with me either (similar libido-killing powers). We use condoms, they work absolutely fine although less spontaneity obviously.

RandomMess Sat 22-Feb-14 23:16:42

I was sterilised!

BobPatSamandIgglePiggle Sat 22-Feb-14 23:21:34

Watching with interest. I can't do hormones, don't fancy copper coil but dh HATES condoms. We have no sex life at all atm.

Kezzybear Sat 22-Feb-14 23:27:57

Copper coil. About to have period 5 and things are starting to settle down.

BobPatSamandIgglePiggle Sat 22-Feb-14 23:31:44

5 months to settle down? That doesn't sound good at all :-(

LouiseSmith Fri 28-Feb-14 21:29:30

I'm on marina coil and my god! Can't wait to get it out. Had it 3 years and it's starting to get me. No periods but bleeding lightly throughout! X

MrsHoolie Mon 03-Mar-14 22:56:48

I could have written this post.
I love having no periods but I have no sex drive whatsoever.

Watching with massive interest!

I got sterilised too.
Then periods went beserk and have mirena fitted....hey ho.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now