Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Copper coil and pregnant

(4 Posts)
ANM07 Sun 16-Feb-14 18:47:10

I had a copper coil fitted 5 months ago after the birth of my daughter. It is still in situ I can feel the strings.
I have taken 3 tests today and all say I am pregnant. I think I am nearly 6 weeks.
What do I need to do now? DH and I are shocked to say the least!! I've only just gone back to work another pregnancy will go down like a lead balloon. hmm

SweetieXPie Mon 24-Mar-14 23:55:15

I know this was posted over month ago, but I am going through the same thing, had the coil fitted when my 3r DC was 4 1/2 months old, I was feeling really ill and had a lot of pregnancy symptoms so took a test the day before my six week check of the coil, which came back (I must say very faint) positive.
When I went in to be checked the next day, the GP was shocked, goth to do another test which came back negative, then asked me to bring in a sample the next day (from first wee of the day) to be sent to the lab, she also told me that the strings were still in place!! I have since done another home pregnancy test which has come back negative (different brand to the positive one I took), waiting for re results from the lab one now, very confused and worried now as I have heard the risk if having an eptopic pregnancy if you hav a coil is very high.

ANM07 Tue 25-Mar-14 21:31:31

Apparently I got pregnant because the coil had fallen down to the top of my cervix so wasn't working properly. I could feel the strings like usual. Was very stressful!!!

SweetieXPie Tue 25-Mar-14 22:23:16

See my GP was convinced I couldn't possibly be pregnant as she could feel the strings, therefore it must be in place. My results are still not back from the lab, phoned today! Am getting more and more pregnancy signs (could be my mind playing tricks on me)
Would you mind me asking if they are planning to remove yours as my GP told me that if I am pregnant they won't remove it!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now