Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cerazette - BF - when to start??

(17 Posts)
BELewis Thu 13-Feb-14 15:19:25

Hi. Im currently breastfeeding my 11 week old daughter and have been prescribed Cerazette but got told that I must take the first one on day 1 of my period ... ive not had a period since having my daughter and have been told breastfeeding stops them ... ive been waiting two months for a period to start taking the pill now. Can't I just take it anyway?? please help!

Jennyl131 Thu 13-Feb-14 15:29:07

I'd call the gp/ family planning nurse. I was in the same boat at 8 weeks but was told just to start them and use extra precautions eg condom for the first week.
Period has never appeared, but never had any when I took cerazette before last dc (wasnt taking them when he was conceived, don't panic!)

Jennyl131 Thu 13-Feb-14 15:53:49

I'd call the gp/ family planning nurse. I was in the same boat at 8 weeks but was told just to start them and use extra precautions eg condom for the first week.
Period has never appeared, but never had any when I took cerazette before last dc (wasnt taking them when he was conceived, don't panic!)

MiniJellyBeans Thu 13-Feb-14 16:00:51

Hi BE

Start any time (today if you like) but use additional contraception (condoms/abstinence!) for the first two days. Then in the future, if you miss one (meaning more than 12 hours' late) just take it as soon as you remember but use additional contraception for 2 days again.

(Although, if you are:
-less than 6 months postnatal
-fully breastfeeding - at least 6 feeds per 24 hours
-no periods at all
then that situation in itself confers 98% contraceptive efficacy anyway.)

Sidge Thu 13-Feb-14 16:06:23

As long as there is absolutely no risk of pregnancy you can quick start Cerazette/Cerelle/POP and ensure you use additional precautions eg condoms (or no sex) for a further 2 days.

If you've been having sex then it might be worth ensuring you aren't pregnant with a test now, if negative start the Cerazette then retest in 3-4 weeks. If no sex yet than you can just start the Cerazette but you're not covered for 2 days.

BELewis Thu 13-Feb-14 19:45:00

That's fab! Thank you everyone smile I got told breastfeeding is a contraceptive in itself but didn't fancy taking the chance so have been using other contraception and been waiting for a period! Will start taking it tomorrow grin

TwittyMcTwitterson Thu 13-Feb-14 21:03:47

Seven days not two xx

MiniJellyBeans Thu 13-Feb-14 22:29:10

No, it's two days' additional precautions when quick-starting all progestogen-only pills. This is standard practice endorsed by guidelines from the Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare, but some of the POP manufacturers haven't yet changed their patient information leaflets from old fashioned guidance which used to be 7 days.

(It's still 7 days for combined pills, though.)

TwittyMcTwitterson Thu 13-Feb-14 22:48:55

Mil is HV/family planning person. Was talking to her about this last week n she said 7 days. Latest POP is a different one to my normal and no leaflets included so can't look.

Good news tho... grin

MiniJellyBeans Thu 13-Feb-14 22:55:12

Evees, the guidance used to be 7 days for POPs but was changed several years ago - no disrespect whatsover to your MIL though! (I am a family planning doctor.)

TwittyMcTwitterson Thu 13-Feb-14 22:57:27

I'll double check with her. She may have never said it and I'm just hearing seven days as I thought it was that. wink But I think she did.

TwittyMcTwitterson Thu 13-Feb-14 22:58:23

Do you know anything about the nacrez shortage???

MiniJellyBeans Thu 13-Feb-14 23:09:46

Hi Evees, no sorry I don't know anything about a Nacrez shortage - we've never stocked it in my places of work - stock Cerazette or Cerelle instead, and there don't seem to be current supply problems with those AFAIK.

TwittyMcTwitterson Fri 14-Feb-14 05:46:35

Afaik?

A few years ago there was an issue with cerazette. I was always told that it took a while for the pill to get out of your system and for about a week we weren't careful. Oh the stupidity. I got pregnant with DD. I now have desorex and am not repeating my silliness wink

MiniJellyBeans Fri 14-Feb-14 07:24:21

Sorry, shouldn't use abbreviations.....AFAIK is "as far as I know"!

TwittyMcTwitterson Fri 14-Feb-14 07:34:49

I'm new to mumsnet. Some I can guess. Some confuse me wink

BELewis Fri 14-Feb-14 19:41:14

I agree Eves some I have to google smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now