Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

alternatives to mirena coil?

(4 Posts)
babyjane67 Sun 27-Oct-13 11:48:23

Hi all
Just that really!
Im46&been getting bleeding in between periods on&off for past few months
Its not been heavy sometimes it lasts a day sometimes a couple of hrs&sometimes just on wiping!
Have had a pelvic ultrasoind&vaginal one.alls normal just a bit of coarseness which could be tiny fibroids or adenomyosis
Ive gotta see gyny tomorrow about this&gp said that they may wamt to do other tests/biopsies&also will prob want to fit mirena coil
Ive heard&read so many horror stories about it though&the fact that ive never famcied the idea of havong anything like that that im put right off it&so am womdering if theres any alternative
My family is complete so dont have to worry about anything thatll stop me getting pregnant etc
Any help would be great thanks

MrsMaryCooper Sun 27-Oct-13 18:14:41

I have a copper coil, so the same idea but no hormones. It works well for me although my periods are a bit heavier.(They were very light before so no big deal) My coil is also in for 10 years.

But your gyne may want to fit the Mirena for other reasons than just the contraceptive aspect - to reduce bleeding etc.

babyjane67 Sun 27-Oct-13 18:43:27

Im not bleeding heavily though&dont need it for contraception as we dont want anymore kids
If they suggest the mirena will ask if theres anything
else i think

babyjane67 Sun 27-Oct-13 18:45:25

Im not bleeding heavily though&dont need it for contraception as we dont want anymore kids
If they suggest the mirena will ask if theres anything
else i think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now