Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I have heavy / painful periods, is the copper coil a bad idea?

(7 Posts)
jennimoo Sun 06-Oct-13 07:11:29

I've always had heavy and painful periods but this is easily managed with a couple of days taking mefanamic acid each month.

I'm trying to decide what contraception to use as I've just had a baby and don't plan any more. The copper coil sounds good for me as I've not always found hormonal methods suit me, but I'm not sure about the risk I'll have even worse periods...

Anyone been advised against it if they already have heavy periods? Or if you're already heavy does it still make a difference?

LtEveDallas Sun 06-Oct-13 07:30:20

I had heavy periods when younger, then when I had the implant they pretty much disappeared. After DD I wanted to drop hormone based contraceptives so had the copper coil put in.

My periods are now Ridiculously heavy. Flooding, painful breasts, cramps. It's like being a teenager again and I hate it.

Sorry. However I could just be unlucky, so maybe a chat with your doc is the way ahead.

StainlessSteelCat Sun 06-Oct-13 07:54:24

I always had fairly heavy periods, but took a risk with the coil as many hormonal methods cause me problems.
My periods are heavier, but no longer, no cramps, and more importantly no erratic moods. so not all positive, but overall I'm happy with it.

My periods were much longer and more painful with the copper coil. Could last as long as 9 days. On a 21 day cycle this was not exactly a scoop.

Now that I am off it, my periods are 3-4 (5 at most) and light. I hardly notice any period pain, just a light cramping the first day.

Also, my hair has stopped falling out, and is now thicker and more shiny. hmm

I also cant use hormonal methods, so not sure what else to do! (wait for menopause???)

Sharpkat Sun 06-Oct-13 08:09:34

No chance of progesterone only pill? I have not had a period in 7 years on it. Know it does not suit everyone but has changed my life smile

jennimoo Sun 06-Oct-13 08:52:51

I'm thinking copper coil not for me then! Having just had 5 weeks of post birth bleeding I'm not keen on too much more! I've not had the POP but put on weight with depo jab and had to have implant removed early due to spotting, mood swings and terrible skin!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now