Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What contraception would you use if you were me?

(4 Posts)
fuckwittery Wed 25-Sep-13 10:18:13

Gearing up to post baby what method of contraception are you going to use question!
Anything hormonal kills my sex drive dead. Incl implant and mini pill.
I have had a copper coil, was good contraception, but I did have v heavy periods and it got lost and had to have removed under GA when I wanted it out to ttc. I'm not planning on having a fourth. Currently I'm advanced stage of pregnancy following split condom and failed map!
DH not v keen on the snip.... I sort of am not either.

meditrina Wed 25-Sep-13 13:49:03

Until you are absolutely sure that you don't want more children, then sterilisation for either of you isn't an option.

What about a mirena - the hormone dose is lower, so might not have such an effect on your libido. If not, then braving another copper coil might be the best option.

fuckwittery Wed 25-Sep-13 14:22:28

Thanks, I think the mirena is the same level of hormones as the implant which killed our sex life stone cold dead.... Am thinking it might have to be the coil. Once had a cap which I liked but dont think v reliable (and where or where did I lose it!)

aprilj11 Thu 17-Oct-13 09:10:14

Sounds like you've got to check out FAM - Fertility Awareness Method (also called NFP). It is a way of tracking your ovulation so you can avoid sex during the time of the month you are fertile, or choose to use a barrier method - cervical cap or diaphragm during that time. ethicalfamilyplanning.com has a lot of info about various natural options. Might be worth checking out.

If you know you have such a strong reaction to hormones, best to stay away from them all together.

Hope that might help a bit. Feel free to ask if you have any questions. This is the BC I use and I am very very happy with my decision!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now