Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Experiences of copper coil?

(11 Posts)
mummycat0 Tue 10-Sep-13 16:44:12

I'm thinking of getting a copper coil fitted, basically only method of contraception that seems fit for me now, but i'm very scared because everyone says the fitting process is quite invasive and I had a 3rd degree tear during childbirth so very sensitive! Also any positive/negative experiences to help me make up my mind appreciated. Thanks!

goodasitgets Wed 11-Sep-13 15:37:52

I have no DC. I took ibuprofen and paracetamol before fitting
Cried on the nurse blush
She used local anaesthetic gel which just felt cold. And the speculum as normal. The cervix clamp felt weird and made my legs shake but not painful. Didn't feel the sound or the coil being fitted. Lay down for a few minutes but didn't really need to as I felt fine

TheYamiOfYawn Wed 11-Sep-13 15:39:52

It was about as painful as a mediumly-skilled person giving a smear test, plus period type pains for the rest of the day.

WithASpider Wed 11-Sep-13 15:45:12

I have had 2 fitted, one either side of DS! I took ibuprofen before the fitting too, but although it pinched a bit it didn't actually hurt. I've had smear tests that were more painful. They have to measure you in advance of ordering the coil itself, so if you can't cope with that then the coil isn't for you. (sounds harsh, isn't meant that way!)

The first few periods after fitting were heavy and painful, but nearly 4 years on they haven't been bad for a long time.

I like that i can forget about contraception now!

Proudmummyofone Tue 24-Sep-13 09:01:59

I also liked the fact that I could forget ab

Cambam2010 Wed 25-Sep-13 09:34:24

I am also considering the copper coil as hormonal contraceptives send me loopy, kill my sex drive and make me gain weight. What are peoples experiences (good and bad) of side effects caused by the coil?

TwoStepsBeyond Wed 25-Sep-13 10:04:34

place marking...!

GirlWithTheLionHeart Fri 27-Sep-13 14:29:56

I had a second degree tear and got the copper coil fitted 12 weeks after birth.

There was a lot of cramping as it went in (I took painkillers beforehand) and afterwards too. Went home and rested with a hot waterbottle.

I was scared about getting it fitted after birth/tear but it was fine

cyanarasamba Fri 27-Sep-13 14:41:14

I found the fitting more invasive than a smear. I knew it would be a challenge for me so got DH to drive me there and back. I was a bit shaky after and found it useful to have him around to look after the kids so I could lie down for an hour.

It also helped that I took two horse-strength co-codamol beforehand and was completely off my face (this was probably overkill, couple of paracetamol and some Bach's flowers would probably have been sufficient!).

Glad I went through with it. I'm promised 5 years of trouble-free motoring. grin

brettgirl2 Sun 29-Sep-13 17:38:19

The fitting was fine. 15 day periods and recurring thrush/ bv not so. Probably just me though lots of people seem to get on with them fine wink

sleeplessbunny Sun 29-Sep-13 17:45:10

fitting didn't hurt any more than a smear for me, but i did bleed more than i expected for a day or two afterwards. i didn't get on with it though, it made my periods heavier and more painful, so i had it swapped for a mirena which i loved. I guess that's not an option for you. I hope you get on with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now