Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

breastfeeding -- trying to conceive HELP

(4 Posts)

Hello, not quite sure where to post, but this looks like a good place.

I'm currently breastfeeding my 9month old, but would like to start trying for the next. He feeds 2-3 times through the day and 2 times during the night (also suckles for comfort sometimes).

AF still hasn't returned.

is there anyway I can kick start my body into gear?

Also, if you carry on with breastfeeding, for example, 2-3years, will AF just come back or do you have to completely stop?

Anyone's AF came back after a year even though you were still feeding?

flowersinavase Sat 07-Sep-13 15:09:19

Annoyingly, what works for one woman may not work for another, and it seems to change with each baby (I had to totally stop BF at 12m for my period to come back after #1 but it's come back after 6m with #2 despite him feeding 6 times a day..).

The Kellymom website has a really good section on this (can't link on phone) but if you have no cycle the amount you're nursing, you need to tinker with it: sometimes just a sudden change in frequency/ duration can trigger it, and/or try to leave at least one very long gap. Advice was to try to not feed at all overnight but I've recently read that it doesn't matter when the long gap happens-it can be during the day. You can also limit 'exposure' to your baby (so less sling wearing, co-sleeping etc).

Average time for return of periods if BF is apparently 14m so they do come back whilst nursing, just later than you might be hoping for.

flowersinavase Sat 07-Sep-13 16:14:05

I'd also look on the Conception boards: there are often long threads there from women ttc whilst bf with lots of tips on.

flowersinavase- thank you very much for the information, I will look at kellymom and fingers cross it may start things up again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now